Thread: National

mtbr member

National

Howdy,

I am planning on hiking somo today. It is gonna kill me not to have my bike with me but until I at least see the terrain on National I'm gonna be safe.

I know for a fact that I will try anything and I want to make sure I am ready for that....... so to be safe I will leave the bike at home! Once I get the lay of the land and know what to expect I;m ready to roll.

People talk about "going up Mormon and down National" all the time. It seems to be poplular. Can someone tell me approximately how many miles that hike would be?

Also, do I just go out west from the ramadas and walk? will I see a Mormon sign? and how will I know where to pick up National to go back down?

Any help is appreciated,

Ross Cobb
    Long Realty-Alliance
    Designated Broker/Owner
    480-768-3222 (office)
    480-980-0729 (cell)

mtbr member
    Ross, the mormon-national loop is probably about 4 miles round trip from the Pima parking lot at 48th and guadalupe. You start up the jeep trail, and it will end with a trail map and markers for national and mormon loop. after starting the singletrack for about a hundred yards, mormon loop will branch off of national. you then head up mormon and it will eventually loop back to national about 1.5 miles later. if you haven't ridden mormon/national before, you should ride it counter clock wise (up mormon, down national). you will find that easier.

mtbr member
    Just head up the fire road from the parking lot/ At the end of the road the the trail will be towards the right you well come to a y in the trail if you go right you well heading up Mormon to the left is National. If you take Mormon About half a mile you well come to another trail branch stay to the left and head up. If you come back down national it is about 5 miles if you head all the way up buena vista it is about a 11 mile round trip.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Thanks guys....I appreciate it.

Ross

I am Bob
    If you haven't had the oportunity to hike through the hidden valley stretch I would do that. really cool rocks a tunnel! the rocks may be slippery back there today though.

parenting for gnarness
    I hiked up Mormon (24th st.), up National to BV, then down Geronimo last week. It was really really interesting. There are only a couple shots on Mormon that are genuinely scary, but Mormon never stops. Its rocks almost the entire way down, and I know this would start messing me up after a while. National was very smooth by comparison - never thought I'd say that. The challenges were about the same, but they were spaced out so much further. Geronimo was a cross between the 2, with some real hard parts but also some nice breaks.

The Waterfall is the most intimidating get on any of the trails, imo.