mtbr member
    Aug 2012

N00b questions...

Hey guys - New to the hobby after just turning 40 and quitting smoking. I have alot of cardio work to do and figured going back to my college biking roots was the way to go.

Questions:

- Whats your favorite shop based on the people who work there?
    - Whats your favorite beginner/easy trail?

I live in chandler, so stuff in the s/se valley appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Shred...it's the new drug
    Global on AZ and Pecos
    Kore or Rage in Scottsdale
    Cactus and Javelina in Tukee
    Desert Classic at SOMO is great
    Hawes is awesome
    Usery is fun and easy
    Papago to get your feet wet

When you're ready to get gnarly...contact me

Vincit qui patitur
    I've had good luck with the guys at Performance Bike on Ray Rd.
    Desert Classic at South Mountain will do alot for your cardio.
    Still a little warm out but go early morning and make sure you hydrate.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    I'd start with Usery and Papago.

Desert Classic at SoMo, Hawes, and San Tan are a step up on the cardio scale with more elevation gain.

Vincit qui patitur
    DC from Pima Canyon TH to water tower isn't too bad. That's where I started since it's in my backyard.
    Last edited by owtdorz; 08-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    TBone - I'll let the other guys and gals chime in on shops and trails in your area since I live on the other side of town but I'd like to say congrats on quitting the smoking.

Your story sounds pretty similar to mine...quit smoking around age 40 and then took up mountain biking about a year later. It took a while for the cardio to come around for me. Hang in there and take the riding in at a reasonable pace and you'll get better and better each ride.

It's one of the best choices you could make.

Congrats and have fun!!!

DC

dirt visionary
    Just ride and have fun increasing your ride length and difficulty as you feel . Find your zone and just go.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    hey welcome to the PARTY TBone! gold canyon has a lot of riding without much tech. go with someone who has been there before for best results. what bike are you riding?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Meatbomb
    I quit in 2000 and it was the best thing I ever did... freed up some cash for hookers and blow

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Keep at it TBoneAZ! I gave up the habit not too long ago too. Been building up the cardio and stamina slowly. Start out hitting the desert flats like Papago. This week alone I've ridden 6 miles each night just up and down old jeep trails in the desert. Don't be afraid to hit a good hill on the weekend. Take breaks when needed. Stay hydrated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I quit in 2000 and it was the best thing I ever did... freed up some cash for hookers and blow
    Haha, I wasn't ready for that! I loled

mtbr member
    I love Global at Pecos/AZ Ave and Ray/101.

For beginner trails, San Tan is a great place and probably closer to you than SoMo. Hawes is also a really fun place that has the right mix of climbing, tech, and downhills!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    hey welcome to the PARTY TBone! gold canyon has a lot of riding without much tech. go with someone who has been there before for best results. what bike are you riding?
    Right now I am riding the costco 26er. I need to get it out on some trails and see how it does before I decide to keep it or not. Basically I tend to over-analyze everything, so I figured I would just go with this for now so I could get riding while I try to decide what bike I want for real. I want to get my wife into something first though...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    LOL! Wow, at least I don't have those 2 items to add to my list of cardio concerns!!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!! looks like I stumbled on a pretty good group of folks here. I look forward to seeing you all out on the trails some day...

Carbon or Commie?
    Possibly a little off-topic, but if you happen to be out trying on some trails and want an out-of-shape mtb nooblet to accompany you on these trails... I would be happy to ride with you!

I had some good experience with the Global Bikes on baseline/guadalupe as far as shops go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    DC from Pima Canyon TH to water tower isn't too bad. That's where I started since it's in my backyard.
    That is where i did most of my mountain bike when I first started out. Nothing too techincal and no really long climbs, but enough rolling hills to get your heart rate up for a few minutes and the set you up for nice downhill run. This trail runs on the base of So Mo and runs up the lower slops and then back down the entire distance.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBoneAz View Post
    Right now I am riding the costco 26er. I need to get it out on some trails and see how it does before I decide to keep it or not.
    Thats the bike I started on, after about a year of riding it was pretty beat, but it served its purpose until I decided I really wanted to invest in this.
    Last edited by cw50must; 08-30-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: quote