Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

My Whiskey 2013 experience

I completed my ride of the Whiskey 25 Proof. First thing... It was the toughest thing I have ever done on a bike.

Anyway the wife and daughter and I drove up Friday checked into our hotel and headed to downtown check out Women Crit race.. First thing we get to.. "Hey are you from Phoenix?" this woman says to my wife. Turns out our kids both go to the same school and she recognized her. She says her husband was running the race and low and behold it is Randy Harris. This was really cool as we all watched the women's Crit together. I missed the Mens Crit has I had to get my packet and get some dinner in me and the family. I dropped the off at the hotel and caught up with Randy for race meeting.

Saturday morning I rode the 1.6 miles from out hotel to race start. I was there about 8am for the 9:30 start. There were a few already lined up, but I took a stroll around to get loose for the race. I lined up about 8:45 and got a spot along the fence right in the upper 1/3 of the area.

Race started at 9:30 on the dot and I was off. I pushed pretty good at the starting wanting to get in front of and bottleneck and hit the camp turn off in about 23 minutes. This was 4 min in front my expect pace that I taped to my handlebars. Not having pre-ridden the course I put some key way points on there with distance and est time to just get an idea of what was coming my way. The new 1.6 mile anti-bottle neck section seem to work out well. Some very steep short double track climbs allowed for good passing and steady movement. Some HAB due stalled riders in front, but at least we were moving. I did have to stop however for bio break. With 15 to at the start I needed to use the bathroom, but the porta jons where far away. So I held it. Well no longer now. I took few steps off the trail and let her go. Darn I lost at least 1:30 there alot spot in line, but it HAD to be done.

Anyway there is nice little down hill bit here before it gets back on the older single track and then we stopped. It did bottle neck, but only for couple minutes. Really not a bottleneck, but what happens when you get a technical spot and rider slows. The entire line must stop since we were on single at this point. Anyway this continued on from here to trail 48. Single file little to no passing with occasional stop. At least it was chance for breather. No hard technical stuff, but when lined up wheel to wheel if one rider misses a move the entire line stops. Anyway I worked my way up and up. Then on to trail 48 and famed log water bars. Man these were big. Many were cleanable on the way up, but with traffic stopping in front no way. Some were nearly impossible to clear or where on such a steep grade it make more sense to walk it because it was faster and took less energy. The downhill ones were pretty fun as long as you prepared for the 1-2 drops just right.

Trail 260 down was kind odd. By this point passing was rare as most of us in this group were a similar speed. No one was so much faster than the guy in front to press a pass. So pretty much rode down together. I wanted to pass in few spots, but again not fast enough to push a pass in nasty spot only to get bottle up in behind the next guy. So it was mostly just waiting for clear error to get past. Still fun trip down the mountain and required 100% concentration.

FR53 climb started gradual and was feeling good. I had 1/2 clif bar per my plan at the top of 260 and so I was feeling strong. I started the climb pushing as hard as I could, but at pace I could sustain. I cleared the really steep bit right before the aid station, but I did use a lot of granny 22/34 combo that made me slow, but still faster that walking. From there I paused at the aid station for 30 seconds for breather and rode on. From there the grade relented a bit, but I was still in little ring land. I saw this guy in Peral Izumi jersy and said.. That looks like Terry (tjkm)... Sure enough it was Terry on the climb from Skull Valley. He was on the 50 and 2 hrs more time in him. He was telling me he was about 10 min from throwing up. I gave him good luck and rode my pace on. I found out later he threw up 2 times, but still managed to finish in under 6hrs. Way to tough it out.

I got to the top of 2nd climb feeling good, had passed a number of riders and was in front my planned pace by 20 minutes (2:40 vs 3:00) and feeling good. I should have stopped just before getting back on the single track, but I rode on to the very top and down the other side. I had great ride down the hill, but missed my 2nd food stop. I managed to pull a clif bar from my jersey pocket and get it in my mouth, but could not open it. I was riding down with clif bar wrapper clenched in my teeth looking for smooth spot to open it. I failed and got the bar back in my pocket and went for my gel shot instead. I finally got that and held that in my mouth for a while, before I finally opened it. During this entire time was ripping the fast descent with little traffic slowing me the occasional rocky section that made me focus. I hit some stuff pretty fast and was pretty much committed and just had ride it out. Fun since cleared it all.

However then I got to cramp hill. There was one techy spot where things stopped I was able to open the gel and start to consume it, but cramp hill got me. I started the climb and within 50 feet both legs cramp up bad. So bad I could not even walk. All that effort into bombing the descent was lost I lay on the ground unable to move. I consumed the gel and sucked down a ton of water and after 5 min could walk again. So I going the HAB line and walk up the steep and loose time like the others happy to at least be moving. 5 min later I got on started riding again for little bit only cramp up again. Like before could not ride or even walk. 5 mintues later that cleared and rode the on just wanting to finish.

From the top of cramp hill to the end was a fun bit of trail, but real challenge. The issue was fighting off craps the rest of the 7 miles down. I was able to ride the single track well and cheering spectators help keep me moving and clearing the few techy spots. I cleaned them all and it was cool. Still I had to stand on the bike to fight off the cramps. The on the pavement you are pretty much home free, but it is also a chance to hammer. I took the first bit easy to stretch and coast, but then started cranking. I had nice 30 mph dual with a other 25 proof rider going flat out in top gear. We would both take turns leading and drafting. My plan was to push hard and drop him at some point, but then I cramped again this time really bad, but was able to stand on the bike and coast a bit. It got better and I started hammering again. I got to the final little climb on Park street and passed a bunch of riders and caught up to my dual partner from before. We hammered hard and I had him behind me when I cramped again this right at the top of Park. I make left turn in full cramp mode and had to let him go. It got better and so for the finish with the cheering spectators I decide to hammer it hard. So I stood up and well full bore down the finish as my way of not giving up.

I finished in 3:42 (13 min in front of my expected pace of 3:55 and top 1/3 of 25 proof field so very happy with that) and total wiped out. I found my family and Randy's family too. Turns out they all were hanging out together under the shade of the trees in the grass. Glad they had fun while I was killing myself. A little bit later Randy came sharing his single speed experience on the 50.

The rest of the day was mostly resting and getting something to eat. We headed back home about 4:30 and where home at 5:40.

Very fun trip and every good event. Well worth it. As for the ride. Hard and tough. I have never climbed so much in any single ride and never pushed as hard for as long a time. Lesson learned is my food plan was good, but I never drank enough water and that I believe caused the cramping. More water. I carried enough, but never drank as much as I needed. As for the bike. It worked flawlessly. The thing I realize on ride like this is that the bike is all most irrelevant. How you finish in ride like this has everything to do with your endurance and skills. As for the next year? The 50 or 25? Well I am thinking the 25 I am sure I can break 3:30 if I can stop the cramps as I lost about that time due to them so maybe I will try that again. Or the 50? That is long climb from skull valley and the "simple" 1500 ft 5.5 mile copper basin climb was tough enough. Not sure lets see how the year goes.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 04-29-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Awesome story and great experience. Sounds like you learned a lot form this race and can drastically improve you time next year. Remembering to hydrate is key and catches many people around the cramp hill area. I also raced the 25 and experienced my first ever leg cramps while riding up cramp hill on this race. This was my second year for the 25 and I rode my Surly fat bike cause it is so much fun. I was able to beat last years time by 75 minutes so I am sure you will be able to improve as well. Good job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    ..This was my second year for the 25 and I rode my Surly fat bike cause it is so much fun. I was able to beat last years time by 75 minutes so I am sure you will be able to improve as well. Good job!
    I was following a rider on Surly fat bike up 48. Did you have frame pack on it? I love the way the fat bike handled the water bar drops. Look like landing on balloons.

On the hydration. I think what got me was getting caught up in the racing and I forgot to keep drinking. So much of my mind was to keeping moving that forgot to drink. Next time.... Next time....
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Yes, I had a small frame bag on it with water bottles mounted to both sides of the fork. Some of those water bar drops were harsh but fun at the same time.

mtbr member
    I did the 50 and ended up cramping super bad halfway back up from skull valley. I have never cramped like this before, where both legs were completely stiff. Will have to redeem myself next year for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    Yes, I had a small frame bag on it with water bottles mounted to both sides of the fork. Some of those water bar drops were harsh but fun at the same time.
    Then that was me right behind you #1507. Black,red white jersey and old style camelbak mule. You did a nice job handling that bike.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Then that was me right behind you #1507. Black,red white jersey and old style camelbak mule. You did a nice job handling that bike.
    Awesome, the fat bike has been my primary ride for the past couple of months and it has been real good to me. I finished with a time of 3:33. I stopped at both aid stations briefly to regain focus and have a pickle. I am sure you will do much better next year.

aka Diesel
    Good job!! That was, and is, always a really tough race! Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back my thoughts here, as I doubt the forum needs another thread on the subject :-)

There's a lot of chatter going on this year about the "bottleneck" (you're correct, it's a back-up, not a true bottleneck), and how it crushed everyones finish time. I can't speak for what the hell went on behind me, because I started in the "Faster Than My Friends" section of the corral (I lied, lol), but the place (on the re-route) that brought the first wait for me, never affected me for more than 6 minutes total (according to examining my ride on Strava), and at no point during the race did I ever have more than 6-10 deep walking HAB, or stalling on the tech spots. Lucky, compared to what I've been hearing about. Just leads me to believe that just as with Tour of The White Mountains, starting position is everything. Otherwise the lines are gonna get ya. In fact, truth be told, this is the first year I found people were really kind of grouchy out there, and I wonder if it had to do with people trying to make-up their times?

I appreciate that Epic made an attempt to re-route what has always been a problem (that damned bottleneck at the single track start!), but I don't believe there's any way you can release the hounds (there were like, what, 800 people or more?), and not run into back-ups occurring due to the wide variety of rider experience coming together. Whatcha gonna do, you know? I don't have an answer, besides wondering if releasing people in waves might help?

Whatever the case, always a great time, always awesome to see the faces and friends that I only get to see at events, and glad you had a good experience! I did it on gears for the first time, and I will never do it that way again. Those long jeep climbs were like the hallway in The Shining!!! Seemed way longer than on an SS!

Cheers.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    That's really good time Joe especially for a first timer. You had this thing well planned out from the start. I showed up a minute late after start so I started dead last - I had the cop waiting for me ha ha.

I got the cramps too for the first time in my life but they weren't bad enough to stop riding. The cramps occurred on the downhill section after the long ass climb from the Skull Valley. Here is what I think helped me get through.
    1. Lactic acid build up - when you move your muscles - you essentially squeeze out that toxin thru the lymphatics and veins - remembers that's very low pressure system relying on one-way valves and body movement. So when do a long climb and suddenly stop moving you build up a lot of lactic acid.
    My remedy was to try to spin a bit even downhill and stretch legs on the bike.

2. I all stopped three times at all aid stations and ate many orange wedges, bananas and few pretzels with salt. I also try drinking that nasty GU stuff as well. That give you tons of electrolytes.

The fifty wasn't all that harder than the 25. When you got to the aid station - you had to keep climbing where we had a nice, energizing long break going downhill to skull valley before embarked on the climb from hell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi Joe and everyone else,

Thanks for the post! Pretty cool to read about the different experiences that other folks had during the ride/ race.

I was plagued by legs cramps as well. Unfortunately, my cramping began WAY early, around mile 15, climbing out of copper basin toward aid station #1. After experiencing a lot of stalling and group hiking along the first segment of single track, I was looking forward to making up time on the fire road climbs because I thought that my legs would be in better than expected shape. Then, I went straight into cramp mode before experiencing fatigue or lactic acid -- it was bizarre and definitely premature.

I had started hydrating 24-hours prior to the race and was prepared with Enduro Tabs, while taking hammer perpetuem, followed by lots of water. In Anticipation of cramping on cramp hill (as had happened during my pre-ride of the course a month earlier), I had a baggie of ionic fizz magnesium (this has worked for me in the past). The ionic fizz was downed along with trail-side stretching before aid station #1 -- hoping for an early recovery.

Recovery never happened. I spent about 10-minutes at aid station number 1 before descending into skull valley. The decent was fine because I was able to spin freely (hoping to work the cramps out). Tight legs followed by intense cramping resulted from any effort to exert myself on the climb back up to the lookout. The low point was looking down at my odometer, reading 3.5 mph. I didn't know that I could ride that slowly and maintain balance. I made a second stop into aid station number 1 (now number 3) to top off my water supply and eat a banana. My water bladder was mistakenly filled with a GU product that tasted like tropical Skoal chew spit.

The cramping became so intense between aid station number 3 and the lookout that I couldn't even walk. Target finish times were a thing of the past (mine had already come and gone) and I was focused on making it across the finish line. That pint glass was not going to get away...

The descent was rejuvenating and cramp hill didn't feel any worse than anything else. After pushing through the finish I was able to reflect on the experience, realizing that I would do it again if faced with the choice; Whiskey 50 or work?

I met a lot of really cool people during the ride. A big thanks to the guy who gave me bacon, it didn't cure the cramps but it sure tasted good! That was the first time (and hopefully the last) that I chased bacon with Skoal spit.

Need more cowbell
    It was a lot hotter out there this year....could be the reason for all of the cramping stories. I filled my bottles with coconut water this year and it seemed to do the trick. It wasn't until I finished that the legs started tweaking on me a bit. Later Sat. night, I got a phantom ninja cramp from nowhere, but that's it.
    Great race, got to ride with some friendly people (except for the maniacal chick at aid 1 screaming for her single speed). The event is really coming into it's own and gets better each year.
    I've already booked my room at the hotel for next year.

aka Diesel

My Whiskey 2013 experience

lol... Screaming? 'Twas a mere whisper of protest. I wanted to throw my bike like a discus, right off the cliff. Mainly because you were standing there smiling, Bryan, looking like you'd just enjoyed a nice morning stretch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    It was a lot hotter out there this year....could be the reason for all of the cramping stories. I filled my bottles with coconut water this year and it seemed to do the trick. It wasn't until I finished that the legs started tweaking on me a bit. Later Sat. night, I got a phantom ninja cramp from nowhere, but that's it.
    Great race, got to ride with some friendly people (except for the maniacal chick at aid 1 screaming for her single speed). The event is really coming into it's own and gets better each year.
    I've already booked my room at the hotel for next year.
    Hhmm, I must have just missed you. I saw a CoyoteKis at Aide Station 1/3 when I pulled up. I think she took off right after that however. I took my SAT at station 3 to sit down and enjoy a bag of gold fish and watch the folks struggle up 260. (I take pleasure in watching other suffer.) At that stage, I felt great, passing lots of folks and only getting passed by Todd Wells on his training ride.

I felt good this year, considering I was forced to switch bikes last minute. But when all was said and done, I was almost an hour slower than last year, which proves my opinion that I'm slower on the geared bike. I did have one mechanical--blew the tire off the rear rim--and had to stop once on the last decent to work out cramps. But outside of that, I rode pretty much everything outside of some of the long ascents, one of which I could have rode if I knew how to actually shift a bike. Forgetting my GPS and HRM made it difficult to gauge where I was on the course and stamina wise.

All and all, I had a great time, and am doing the 50 again this year.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Good job!! That was, and is, always a really tough race! Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back my thoughts here, as I doubt the forum needs another thread on the subject :-)

There's a lot of chatter going on this year about the "bottleneck" (you're correct, it's a back-up, not a true bottleneck), and how it crushed everyones finish time. I can't speak for what the hell went on behind me, because I started in the "Faster Than My Friends" section of the corral (I lied, lol), but the place (on the re-route) that brought the first wait for me, never affected me for more than 6 minutes total (according to examining my ride on Strava), and at no point during the race did I ever have more than 6-10 deep walking HAB, or stalling on the tech spots. Lucky, compared to what I've been hearing about. Just leads me to believe that just as with Tour of The White Mountains, starting position is everything. Otherwise the lines are gonna get ya. In fact, truth be told, this is the first year I found people were really kind of grouchy out there, and I wonder if it had to do with people trying to make-up their times?

I appreciate that Epic made an attempt to re-route what has always been a problem (that damned bottleneck at the single track start!), but I don't believe there's any way you can release the hounds (there were like, what, 800 people or more?), and not run into back-ups occurring due to the wide variety of rider experience coming together. Whatcha gonna do, you know? I don't have an answer, besides wondering if releasing people in waves might help?

Whatever the case, always a great time, always awesome to see the faces and friends that I only get to see at events, and glad you had a good experience! I did it on gears for the first time, and I will never do it that way again. Those long jeep climbs were like the hallway in The Shining!!! Seemed way longer than on an SS!

Cheers.
    I think you're right, the re-route that SHU and company put together this year helped out quite abit with the back-up and finish times for the most part, tho I also heard of some riders with 35-45 min waits (sounds like a lot...) so it most likely depended on where you were in the wave of riders. Wasn't able to do the event this year but did get a chance to ride multiple segments of course as well as to help clear/clean Tr 260 of babyheads and whatnots by mx bike down into/flag course out of the canyon on FR53.

Props to you CoyoteKis for wanting to ditch the gears and go SS next time. I plan to do the same next year.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    lol... Screaming? 'Twas a mere whisper of protest. I wanted to throw my bike like a discus, right off the cliff. Mainly because you were standing there smiling, Bryan, looking like you'd just enjoyed a nice morning stretch!
    You remember it your way, I'll remember it mine.... BTW... nice podium finish on that geared bike.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    with so many riders there is no way to stop the backups now, Todd needs to lower the cap. Fun year but cramp hill got me again and pretty bad, I didn't stop as I know if I had I would still be there crying. I was a minute slower than last year's time but everyone tells me the course was 10 minutes longer so I guess I was faster. only way to know for sure is to do it again next year.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    I had a totally different experience at the bottleneck. It was way worse than it was last year. Though, admittedly, I was towards the back of the pack. The re-route was about 1.6 miles long and I spent over 40 minutes doing that mile and a half. Very frustrating. I took about 30 minutes to do the first 4 miles (not fast but certainly not that slow with tons of people behind me). When I came around the dirt road turn after the houses and saw a humongous line of people I was very disappointed. It was backed up all the way to where the ST starts with the hard left off the road. Then we just waited, moved a bit, waited, moved a bit, and waited. It didn't really thin out or get better till about mile 8. So compared to last year (my first time doing it) it seemed to have more of a conga line theme but instead of just being from copper basin road to copper basin road like last year, this time it was single file walking the entire re-route plus a bit after crossing copper basin.

I'm sure this is why the cut-off was moved to 2 and it was barely enough for me. My buddy who is a strong rider and did it 4.5 hours last year took 5.5 hours this year. He made the cut-off by 23 minutes. Crazy. He was about 5-6 minutes ahead of me coming off the pavement and he spent a good 35-40 minutes in the conga line.

Everybody around me kept asking if this was normal (lots of first timers) and I kept telling them it was worse then it was the year before. A few guys who had done it before who were around me agreed that it was pretty bad. Kind of miserable to crank for 4.5 miles and then stand around for another 1.5 miles. I felt like i never really got my mojo back after that.

Not sure why they can't look at staged starts. We pretty much agreed that we'll wait to sign up till we see what progress is made on fixing the conga line issues next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I think you're right, the re-route that SHU and company put together this year helped out quite abit with the back-up and finish times for the most part, tho I also heard of some riders with 35-45 min waits (sounds like a lot...) so it most likely depended on where you were in the wave of riders. Wasn't able to do the event this year but did get a chance to ride multiple segments of course as well as to help clear/clean Tr 260 of babyheads and whatnots by mx bike down into/flag course out of the canyon on FR53.

Props to you CoyoteKis for wanting to ditch the gears and go SS next time. I plan to do the same next year.
    It seems to me that if you arrived at the ST after 30 minutes then you had a long wait. If you arrived before then it sounds like it wasnt that bad.

Last year I hit the bottleneck at 35 minutes but only waited in the line/bottleneck for about 10-15 minutes and then it seemed to pretty much keep moving, though congested. This year I hit the new re-route at 30 minutes again but didn't get back to copper basin road for 40 minutes.

mtbr member
    There were only 114 pros racing on Sunday, I wonder if they could throw some amateurs behind them to unload the Saturday a bit.

I mean 1400 vs. 114. Why not have like 400 start an hour after the pros?

mtbr member
    Third year in a row for the 50. I was really wanting to go under 5 hours, but ended up 8 minutes slower than last year for a 5:16. I looked at the "new section" on Strava and it took 15 minutes to clear. It was a slow steady roll through that section with 3-4 stops about a minute each. All in all I preferred it to the stack up of years past....what's not to like about more single track! I must slay the 5 hour demon...I'll be back!....oh and for the 3rd year in a row I had to go into cramp management the last 8 miles or so...brutal...and to the guy I gave my CO2 cartridge AND spare tube to, while I was trying to massage a vicious quad cramp, I hope you finished the race...I would have been really pissed if I had to roll out on a flat tire.

mtbr member
    I guess it was worth the effort on the pavement. I hit the camp at 24 min in to race and found it all very manageable. I was prepared for it and it found it to be a non issue.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree with nelsonccc. I would like to add that when my riding partner and I reached the first aid station around 1:15 they were out of water! They were also out of water at the second aid station. Along with being out of water there was no more fruit. Only pretzels, gold fish and choc. chip cookies.

Here's what I copied and pasted from the website about the aid station:

"Aid Station Fare,
    Energy drink mix will be available our official nutrition sponsor. If you prefer a different sports drink mix or energy drink, we encourage you to bring your own and mix with the water provided on route. Food; Each aid station will be equipped with Bread Products (bagels, donuts, Fig Newtons, Oreo's, etc..) and Fruits. There will be more than plenty to go around."

So I have to wonder about the "more than enough to go around" statement as there was not enough to go around. We had allotted our resources depending on the aide station for refilling based on their assurances.

When we arrived at the aid station they were telling people not to proceed if they didn't have water and that they had called down to request more water prior to our arrival. From the time we arrived it took over 20 minutes for water to show up, and by that time, what did show up was insufficient for the amount of people waiting and behind us.

A short time after we arrived a woman came in on her bike and stated that this also happened last year. If this is true, then there are some logistical issues that need to be resolved.

Combined with the conga line wait on the single track and the wait for water, at least 60 minutes, we ended up missing the cut off by 20 minutes and not completing our ride.

To their credit, the volunteers were doing everything that they could and were as frustrated as we were with the situation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had the same experience as jayson5. It being my first time time I intentionally started towards the back. The single track after the camp was a parking lot and continued until the top of 48. After that it opened some on downhill then climb. I got to the aid station just after one to be shocked that there was no water/gu/etc. worried about the cutoff I called my wife and told her the situation, we agreed to meet at the cutoff (copper basin and thumb) and she'd bring me water. That worked perfect as I got there in time and waited for her. I learned a few lessons: don't stay back for the start and never trust the aid stations. I did finish and had a great time and will be back in the future though.

meow
    I hadn't done the Whiskey since '06 and it's crazy how much the event has grown...400 riders to 1400!

Got off to a rough start (the alarm didn't go off at the hotel and scrambled to get ready) and managed to squeeze into the back of to the start line ten minutes before the gun went off. Had the pleasure of watching a couple of riders pull off to the side on Copper Basin and hork up their breakfast, and kept pedaling until the new single track when everything stopped. Dead. Strava shows 22 minutes of 'rest time" on that section. I would have liked to have a better time but my lesson is to get to the start early is key. Starting the race in waves would definitely help to reduce the conga line and back of the packers would have better times.

THE BEST part of the race was when I was was resting at Sierra Prieta, a guy came cranking up the last pitch, shirtless, tanned, a wild beard, and only one leg, no prosthetic on the other side. Everyone was cheering him on...he didn't stop, jumped right onto the single track and kept on going, with a huge smile on his face the whole time. It was an amazing effort, pure grit, determination and in the true spirit of this race.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Hhmm, I must have just missed you. I saw a CoyoteKis at Aide Station 1/3 when I pulled up. I think she took off right after that however.
    ...But when all was said and done, I was almost an hour slower than last year, which proves my opinion that I'm slower on the geared bike.
    I only stopped long enough to drink a few dixie cups of water, and dig around in desperation to see if I had any old crusty packets of Gu. Found one, thank goodness.

I am with you, about being slower on a geared bike. When I did it SS year before last, I did it 20 minutes faster, with a longer wait at the old bottleneck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast