Ouch, I am hot!

My Dog Is Now A Vegan?

[size=2][size=4]Saw this on PETA's website and decided my dog needs to be a vegan. Three weeks into it and she is sad as hell, but healthy as an Ox. [/size]

Itís likely that your cat or dog will thrive on a vegetarian diet. Studies have shown that ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and arthritis, also affect our companion animals. In addition to pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics, commercial pet foods can be composed of parts of animals deemed unfit for human consumption, such as ground-up feathers and diseased flesh.
    Do be especially cautious when making the transition to a vegetarian diet for your cat as cats have very specific nutritional requirements. Vitamin A, taurine, and arachidonic acid are essential and can be provided with supplements such as VegeCat by Harbingers of a New Age. [/size][size=2]For optimal health, many people also choose to supplement their catsí diets with fresh, wholesome grains, proteins, vegetables, and essential fatty acids such as those found in flaxseed oil.

Unless they eat raw meat, some dogs require supplemental taurine and L-carnitine (available in health food stores). These amino acids can prevent dilated cardiomyopathy in breeds that are prone to the disease, such as Doberman pinschers, boxers, cocker spaniels, Dalmatians, and many large breeds.

For a smooth transition, start by mixing vegetarian food (several quality brands are available, or follow recipes found in Vegetarian Dogs by Verona re-Bow or Vegetarian Cats and Dogs by James Peden) [/size][size=2]with the meat-based food. Gradually increase the vegetarian portion and decrease the meat-based diet over one to two weeks. Most dogsí and catsí health improves on a vegetarian diet, but be sure to monitor your animal closely to be absolutely sure that the new diet is agreeable. If not, you may need to switch to a different brand, try supplementing commercial food with fresh whole or raw foods, or go back to the meat-based food.

[/size]
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am a vegetarian, but no way will I stop feeding my cats meat. I think PETA is a bunch of radical freaks. I chose to be a vegetarian for spiritual reasons and do not impose my beliefs on anyone(my husband is a meat eater, for example). I love animals a great deal and realize their needs are different than mine. A cat can go blind on a vegetarian diet since they cannot digest vitamin A from vegetable matter. PETA, imo, do not further animal rights, they just piss people off.

Rita

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    [size=2][size=4]Saw this on PETA's website and decided my dog needs to be a vegan. Three weeks into it and she is sad as hell, but healthy as an Ox. [/size]

Itís likely that your cat or dog will thrive on a vegetarian diet. Studies have shown that ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and arthritis, also affect our companion animals. In addition to pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics, commercial pet foods can be composed of parts of animals deemed unfit for human consumption, such as ground-up feathers and diseased flesh.
    Do be especially cautious when making the transition to a vegetarian diet for your cat as cats have very specific nutritional requirements. Vitamin A, taurine, and arachidonic acid are essential and can be provided with supplements such as VegeCat by Harbingers of a New Age. [/size][size=2]For optimal health, many people also choose to supplement their catsí diets with fresh, wholesome grains, proteins, vegetables, and essential fatty acids such as those found in flaxseed oil.

Unless they eat raw meat, some dogs require supplemental taurine and L-carnitine (available in health food stores). These amino acids can prevent dilated cardiomyopathy in breeds that are prone to the disease, such as Doberman pinschers, boxers, cocker spaniels, Dalmatians, and many large breeds.

For a smooth transition, start by mixing vegetarian food (several quality brands are available, or follow recipes found in Vegetarian Dogs by Verona re-Bow or Vegetarian Cats and Dogs by James Peden) [/size][size=2]with the meat-based food. Gradually increase the vegetarian portion and decrease the meat-based diet over one to two weeks. Most dogsí and catsí health improves on a vegetarian diet, but be sure to monitor your animal closely to be absolutely sure that the new diet is agreeable. If not, you may need to switch to a different brand, try supplementing commercial food with fresh whole or raw foods, or go back to the meat-based food.

[/size]
    I'm surprised PETA is even acknowledging animals as pets. When I was in college, my lost soul was interested in joining PETA, until I found out that they considered animal ownership cruel. I joined the D and D club instead.

Be careful when changing your dog's diet. We changed Peppers, and she had the worst frigging gas imaginable (at least that is what I told Autumn )

(BTW, take this to the friggin Dog's Diet forum.)

I am Walt
    PETA is a bunch of freaking whack jobs.

That said, our dog (below) is allergic to what seems like everything. So he gets this hypo-allergenic dog food at $72 a pop for each 40 lb. bag, and sardines. No kidding - he gets one can of sardines each morning with his dog food and loves it. Does wonders for his coat, but his breath smells worse than Dirdir's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    PETA is a bunch of freaking whack jobs.

That said, our dog (below) is allergic to what seems like everything. So he gets this hypo-allergenic dog food at $72 a pop for each 40 lb. bag, and sardines. No kidding - he gets one can of sardines each morning with his dog food and loves it. Does wonders for his coat, but his breath smells worse than Dirdir's.
    Walt, for a "hard a$$" Republican, you sure sound like a liberal treehugger. What the hell - my dog has allergies. Give me a phucking break. I am puking all over the floor. Hypo-allergenic dog food. My god, I just ruptured my spleen reading that. Oh, by the way, I read outloud to my tropical fish every Tuesday. It makes them feel wanted.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I'm surprised PETA is even acknowledging animals as pets. When I was in college, my lost soul was interested in joining PETA, until I found out that they considered animal ownership cruel. I joined the D and D club instead.
    Actually, they're very careful to refer to pets as "companion animals." PETA's little bit of Orwellian propoganda.

Susan was a die-hard PETA activist, and I helped her gather signatures for various things at concerts. Great way to see a lot of good shows for free (Pretenders, Paul McCartney, etc.) and chat up cute hippie chicks.

Personally, I think PETA's stand on imposing vegetarianism on pets is morally inconsistent with their mission. My cats love hunting birds and other critters -- that's their only job! Taking that away and forcing them to eat rice and crap is just asking for behavioral and health problems.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Well, do the meat eating animals need their meat frozen, cooked, preserved etc to survive?

Funny thing since 3/4 of our family went vegan, our old german shedder dog started feeling better. Maybe cause she's not getting all our table scraps of refined, hormone/steroid/pesticide/antibiotic/mycotoxicins filled factory farmed, grease and glue laden meat?
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure animals such as dogs and cats were intended to be carnivores. Can they eat food mixed with veggies ? Yup. My dogs would just about eat anything I toss to them. Dogs are meat eaters by [B]Nature[B] My dogs rarely get scraps but I do feed them a good diet of a food with meat product listed as the first ingredient. Read up on it. A responsible pet owner will do whats right for their pets. They may be part of your family but they do have different nutritional needs.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    dude wtf,, SEVEN YEAR OLD THREAD!!

mtbr member
    lol Just saw the post by the person above me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen