Happy Trails

Mule Deer in MMP

Sorry no photo, but it was very cool that Brent and I saw a healthy 8-point buck mule deer on the Fountain Hills side of Prospector, below Bell Pass and above Dixie last Friday just before sunset. Anybody else seen mule deer in the Park?

mtbr member
    I see them out there somewhat frequently. I once saw a herd of 5-6 in the mountains near the new Toms Thumb trailhead. There is a herd at Usery park also that I've spotted a few times.

Give it a crank
    They're pretty common out there, even near FH around Sunrise Trail. I saw this one about 50 ft. below Inspiration Point.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I saw quite a few a few weeks ago. There were just on the west side of Windgate Pass.

Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yep, I've also spotted a few coming down the fun fast section of Sonoran Trail into Dixie Mine. Also had a couple run across the trail in Gold Canyon a few weeks ago.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    ...and you know, where there's deer, there are things that like to eat deer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mule Deer in MMP-mountain-lion.jpeg  

Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Saw 5 wild horses out at Hawes yesterday. This pic will have to do until my friend uploads his shots from his camera.

I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    ...and you know, where there's deer, there are things that like to eat deer...
    C'mon Ray, do you have to ruin all the fun by scaring us with the mounting lion?

I have seen only one of those and I would like to see them more.

Ahhh the pain....
    He He..... I've heard of one that has been spotted over near the bottom of Prospector near Dixie Mine...Gotta imagine there's at least another one.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I saw a deer leg...just the leg...on the little side climb off of prospector before the Bell junction. I left quickly! I figure that I was being watched closely then!
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you look!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    C'mon Ray, do you have to ruin all the fun by scaring us with the mounting lion?

I have seen only one of those and I would like to see them more.
    And I'm sure he'd like to see more of you too! I mean a cat has to make a living.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by scaz View Post
    I saw a deer leg...just the leg...on the little side climb off of prospector before the Bell junction. I left quickly! I figure that I was being watched closely then!
    I was thinking this deer might have seen one of those big kitties too, but was a little more lucky than his buddy you saw. Either that or it rode the front brake a little too much and took a spill heading down Bell.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

I am the Tin Man!
    Damn nature, you scary!
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Happy Trails
    Saw the same buck in nearly the same location late in the cold day yesterday (Sunday Jan 13) .... We were on Thompson Peak trail, just uphill from Prospector and the mineshaft, headed up to Bell Pass. I almost got a photo this time but by time cold fingers got to my iPhone he was gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Saw the same buck in nearly the same location late in the cold day yesterday (Sunday Jan 13) .... We were on Thompson Peak trail, just uphill from Prospector and the mineshaft, headed up to Bell Pass. I almost got a photo this time but by time cold fingers got to my iPhone he was gone.
    Seems as if it's stalking that mountain lion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yea saw a few of the mule deer just out side of the long loop this past Sunday

Didn't they have a warring this last spring about a few mountain lion sightings