mtbr member
    Nov 2007

muddy flag trails

Is It Ok To Ride TheTrails In Flagstaff? ,I AmPlanning On Camping This Weekend And Am Wondering If The Trails Are RidEable With All TheRain Up TherE. Will It RuinTthe Trails Or Will They Even b rideable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Most are good to go. Just give it a few hours after the storm.

mtbr member
    I would echo that. I was in Prescott hiding from a lightning storm in a porta john and thinking I could still ride after at 20 minute rain. It went for an hour and I packed it in and went home. After wiping of course. Just let it drain and don't be in a hurry.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Due to lightening and monsoon Bearizona lost their bears that are now loose in Keibab forest. A pair of sibling Grizzlies were spotted roaming the Mt. Elden. The top speed for a grizzly is 35 mph, make sure you always the option to turn the bike, point it down hill and get a KOM of you life !

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't know anyone here locally that cares, we ride in the rain, before, and right after and it seems to have little effect on trails, the actual erosion from heavy run off has an impact but tires don't.

I love riding during light rain and right after storms.

mtbr member

muddy flag trails

Raising- being a local and a very experienced rider you got to admit that you probably avoid the sloppy areas and try not to damage trail. I do believe and could be wrong- but the op question seemed like it came from a new guy. Like I said- wait it out a few if in doubt.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I don't know anyone here locally that cares, we ride in the rain, before, and right after and it seems to have little effect on trails, the actual erosion from heavy run off has an impact but tires don't.

I love riding during light rain and right after storms.
    agreed. except for places like the buffalo park mesa. ever ride thru there in the mud? turns your 25 pound bike into a 45 pound bike in about 30 seconds. it's called malpais (bad land) for a reason. pretty sure this is the reason.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    agreed. except for places like the buffalo park mesa. ever ride thru there in the mud? turns your 25 pound bike into a 45 pound bike in about 30 seconds. it's called malpais (bad land) for a reason. pretty sure this is the reason.
    No doubt, that basalt mud is the worst! I do believe I remember the "night ranger" on here complaining about people riding on wet trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    No doubt, that basalt mud is the worst! I do believe I remember the "night ranger" on here complaining about people riding on wet trails.
    His issue was riding the trails when they were soft just coming out of winter. He was right but still in A$$ in his own endearing way. The bigger issue for me are the areas of poor drainage and folks just riding around the puddles or sections of standing water thus making the trails wider.

Indeed, the volcanic makeup of the Peaks, Dry Lake Hills, and Elden are for the most part our savior. Anywhere the tread is on soils composed of eroded basalt is bad (Elk's Lodge, Buff Park, Anderson Mesa) but most everything else is dacite which is quartz rich without a large percentage of the clay minerals that make things sticky when wet.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

DFMBA.org

muddy flag trails

Good timing for this thread. I'll be up on AZT, Rocky Moto, Secret, this morning.

Edit: The trails were wet and muddy in spots this AM but overall pretty good. Just be prepared to get a bit dirty.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 07-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Anywhere the tread is on soils composed of eroded basalt is bad (Elk's Lodge, Buff Park, Anderson Mesa) but most everything else is dacite which is quartz rich without a large percentage of the clay minerals that make things sticky when wet.
    Thanks for the quick tutorial on soil types. I've noticed the difference but having an explanation is useful.

-db-

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just ran the Schultz Creek, Sunset, Brookbank and AZT trail on Saturday. I thought the condition of the trails was about perfect. Beautiful riding up there right now and wish I could go back soon.
    We started out the Moto trail and quicly turned around due to the standing water and mud on that section. I don't believe in riding if I'm leaving the trail in worse shape than when I started.

mtbr member
    Did a similar ride Sat morning as well up there, best conditions ever^^^^^^so fun!!

Give it a crank
    Riding singletrack in Flag the morning after a night rain erases all bike tracks is unforgettable. Every time you look back you see this: