Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

MTBR's....Roadies.....Tri Geeks

Not to further divide the sport, BUT..I just got a new road bike. Soooo, I have been spending many precious training hours grinding away into the brutal Arizona spring wind upon it.

Just some observations that I failed to notice on my last road bike that I hadn't really rode in a few years;

Roadies, typically aloof. Generally well groomed and clean. When they pass they pass with a hint of Irish Spring perhaps. Also typically silent and unwelcoming to strangers if they are in a small herd. A camelback is absolutely verbotten. A saddle bag is nothing less than a billboard stating "I'm a squid, please don't make fun of me"

Tri Geeks Hmmmm, where to start, I can't really figure these guys out as yet. They always wear sleeveless jersey's. Does anyone know why? Shaven legs (as are most roadies) and many, many sporting IRONMAN tat's on the back of the calf. They never talk, never look over when overtaking to wave, nod or just to tell us to phiss-off, just stare solemnly downward at the tarmac.

MTBR's We all know it without being addressed, we are the rebelious counter culture kids of the bike world. We meet on the trail and mostly will acknowledge one another and frequently stop to check out each others bikes. If we are at odd's with our bikes and fighting a tube or something, we will always, 100 percent of the time stop to either assist or laugh. It seems to me our biggest problem with one another might be the uphill/downhill thing. Our clothing is typically torn, as are our arms and legs. our bikes get spooge on them, theirs do-not.

Is this all genetic, locality, or are we as MTBR's just more socially gifted?

Just random thoughts from the weekend.

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Give it a crank
    Each activity group has different goals within its own environment. You picked out three groups that all have endurance in common. Of those three, mtbers are the most dependent on each other because they're typically the furthest away from help. That makes them the more sociable of the three, but calling mtbers "socially gifted" is pure BS.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Your tri geek description describes my brother to a T. We don't talk much. His only concern is keeping his heart rate up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Each activity group has different goals within its own environment. You picked out three groups that all have endurance in common. Of those three, mtbers are the most dependent on each other because they're typically the furthest away from help. That makes them the more sociable of the three, but calling mtbers "socially gifted" is pure BS.
    Socially gifted was phrased as a question, you made it a statement.

mtbr member
    I ride road too. I have to say you ar right about most roadies. The exception are the mtn bikers that do road on the side.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    How come roadies are like runners in that they never really look like they're having fun? You've seen that guy on SOMO or PMP blasting down a sweet piece of trail grinnin' like a possum eatin' chit. At times, you probably are that guy.

Why do most runners and roadies look like they're in complete agony and putting one foot in front of the other is the most monumental task in the world? If it was that agonizing, I wouldn't do it.

mtbr member
    As with all "groups", stereotyping can be misleading. I do all three sports and have found occasional d-bags in... all three. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of hikers who have been buzzed by DHers on SoMo that have their own less-than-glowing description of fat tire riders. Can't tell you how many times, I've been riding UP a hill on a singletrack trail in Phoenix on my mountain bike only to play the usual game of "PMP chicken" with some guy who a) won't say hello, and b) won't yield to me. I'm not saying they're all that way, but I see a lot of that sort of thing (seems to come in waves). Alternately, I've also run into many friendly (and non-friendly) road bikers out there and at least one entire group of triathletes out at Lake Pleasant doing an open water swim that all said hey and were totally friendly. In my experience, friendly folks will always be friendly, regardless of their activity. We could all aspire to do the same with the simple goals of getting in a good working and having fun!

In the interests of full disclosure... I've worn a Camelback on road bike (mostly don't because it's cooler not to), have hairy legs, have worn a visored helmet on a road ride, have worn an ultralight road helmet on a trail ride, have a bag under my seat on BOTH bikes, don't have a seat-dropper post, always offer a "hello" or "good morning" to anyone I come across on road/trail, and always ask someone on the side of the road/trail if they need anything. Last time I did the climb up the road on SoMo on Silent Sunday, I swore the next time, I would go back with my camo mountain bike shorts and a tie-dyed shirt just to poke fun at the super serious.

All right... now everyone join hands, because we're going to sing the Coca-Cola song!

Huffy Rider
    While climbing Mingus on my road bike this this morning, I tried my best to "look" like I was having fun on the way up, smiling (probably looked more like grimacing) at on-coming cars and such....it was quite obvious how much fun I was having on the way down by the number of bugs I ate while smiling and screaming in pure joy!! And my legs are shaved

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    How come roadies are like runners in that they never really look like they're having fun? You've seen that guy on SOMO or PMP blasting down a sweet piece of trail grinnin' like a possum eatin' chit. At times, you probably are that guy.

Why do most runners and roadies look like they're in complete agony and putting one foot in front of the other is the most monumental task in the world? If it was that agonizing, I wouldn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    While climbing Mingus on my road bike this this morning, I tried my best to "look" like I was having fun on the way up, smiling (probably looked more like grimacing) at on-coming cars and such....it was quite obvious how much fun I was having on the way down by the number of bugs I ate while smiling and screaming in pure joy!! And my legs are shaved

EXACTLY....We get trail zen, they just look miserable.

And Steelmonkey, the only reason the Tri's on the swim were friendly is they one knew you could whack them on top of their heads with a boat oar

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Socially gifted was phrased as a question, you made it a statement.
    I do that a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I do that a lot.
    Was that a question or a statement?

mtbr member
    What are about MTBers that take Strava waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously?

mtbr member

And Steelmonkey, the only reason the Tri's on the swim were friendly is they one knew you could whack them on top of their heads with a boat oar
    Ha! That might have been true if I wasn't out there doing my first open water swim attempt in a wetsuit at the time. Maybe they were friendly because I was "camoflaged" ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post

The reason is this. If you are pushing hard every mile on road bike or a run is a climb. Mtn bikers climb and descent. The descents are the fun pay off after we have paid the price on the climb. For these other sports the payoff is after the ride/run/swim where there is a sense of accomplishment of doing something really hard.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

Roadies, typically aloof. At high speeds on the road with cars trucks and SUV's , sorry , I'm paying more attention to the road than you.Generally well groomed and clean. When they pass they pass with a hint of Irish Spring perhaps. I like to think I have good hygiene on the road and the trail. Also typically silent and unwelcoming to strangers if they are in a small herd. Riding in close contact with a complete stranger in a group is hazardous to your health. One wrong move will take everyone out. So if you don't feel welcome , you're probably not. Since all we have to go on is appearances, if you don't look like you are used to riding in a group on the road it's probably safer to not ride with you in our pack. .A camelback is absolutely verbotten. Not verbotten, just huge overkill and if you're wearing one it's kinda likely that you fit into the above category A saddle bag is nothing less than a billboard stating "I'm a squid, please don't make fun of me"See previous answer.

Tri Geeks Hmmmm, where to start, I can't really figure these guys out as yet. They always wear sleeveless jersey's. Does anyone know why? Shaven legs (as are most roadies) and many, many sporting IRONMAN tat's on the back of the calf. They never talk, never look over when overtaking to wave, nod or just to tell us to phiss-off, just stare solemnly downward at the tarmac.

MTBR's We all know it without being addressed, we are the rebelious counter culture kids of the bike world. We meet on the trail and mostly will acknowledge one another and frequently stop to check out each others bikes. If we are at odd's with our bikes and fighting a tube or something, we will always, 100 percent of the time stop to either assist or laugh. It seems to me our biggest problem with one another might be the uphill/downhill thing. Our clothing is typically torn, as are our arms and legs. our bikes get spooge on them, theirs do-not.I don't wear tattered clothes for either. I keep both bikes kinda clean.

Is this all genetic, locality, or are we as MTBR's just more socially gifted? It's more a case of you passing judgement on groups you really don't have as much of an understanding of as you think you do.

Steve

Give it a crank
    There's also a lot more variety in mtb than in those other mentioned sports. Every ride is unique even on the same trail and demands a lot more from the rider. That makes mtb less monotonous, more rewarding, and makes you feel far better than just chasing your performance times ride after ride. I won't comment on the Strava side of things because I don't chase KOMs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    The reason is this. If you are pushing hard every mile on road bike or a run is a climb. Mtn bikers climb and descent. The descents are the fun pay off after we have paid the price on the climb. For these other sports the payoff is after the ride/run/swim where there is a sense of accomplishment of doing something really hard.
    Like me and a lot of others that ride the road, going up the hill is as much fun or more for us than going down it is for you. Just because I'm not smiling doesn't mean I'm not having fun. It's just a different kinda high that most here seem to miss the point of. If riding a road bike is monotonous as so many here seem to think, you're either doing it wrong or it's just not in your DNA.

mtbr member
    SSdirt29,

First off, my post was an attempt at a bit of levity. I do shower occasionally, I however DO NOT ride with buds in the ears. If high speed riding in traffic with cars and trucks is a safety issue, why do about 50% ride with buds?

I am a relatively devoted roadie, I tend to ride rurally, alone. I live in NW Peoria, I will ride out to Wickenburg, or out on the Sun Valley pkwy. I am allergic to cars, trucks and the such, too many folks I know of / knew have lost their lives or normal lives in collisions with cars. I stay out of the traffic.

This time of year and into the summer, for longer rides, I exclusive ride the road, Cant do 5-6 hours on the MTB (I don't want to be that uncomfortable) Not passing judgement. Like I said, a bit of levity. But....It's the internet.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    My only road bike is a single speed. Went out for a ride last night...not long....but felt good just to sit and spin and zone out. My only reason for road riding though is to help my endurance with mtn biking and keep variety between my xc and dh bike.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Here's my road bike. $200 shipped off eBay, son. Brand new.

MTBR's....Roadies.....Tri Geeks-14294_10151187453652875_727294478_n.jpg

46/16 gears. I can usually keep a 15.5-16MPH average in traffic, and about 19-20 or so on the flats. It stops being fun at around mile 20, but for running errands or just spinning down the greenway, can't beat it.

mtbr member
    Bikes are designed to serve only one purpose: to get from point A to Point B. Any other purpose is purely self-serving.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Give it a crank
    Gee, I always thought bikes were made to make a profit. Any other purpose is up to the buyer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I try to road ride once a week to help with mtb fitness; always in my mtb gear with baggies & camelbak. Especially love to drop the roadies on the big climbs in their perfect kits.

Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    My only road bike is a single speed. Went out for a ride last night...not long....but felt good just to sit and spin and zone out. My only reason for road riding though is to help my endurance with mtn biking and keep variety between my xc and dh bike.
    OVER the rocks, not around

NedwannaB
    Not to further divide the sport, BUT..I just got a new road bike. Soooo, I have been spending many precious training hours grinding away into the brutal Arizona spring wind upon it.

Just some observations that I failed to notice on my last road bike that I hadn't really rode in a few years;

Roadies, typically aloof. Generally well groomed and clean. When they pass they pass with a hint of Irish Spring perhaps. Also typically silent and unwelcoming to strangers if they are in a small herd. A camelback is absolutely verbotten. A saddle bag is nothing less than a billboard stating "I'm a squid, please don't make fun of me"

MTBR's We all know it without being addressed, we are the rebelious counter culture kids of the bike world. We meet on the trail and mostly will acknowledge one another and frequently stop to check out each others bikes. If we are at odd's with our bikes and fighting a tube or something, we will always, 100 percent of the time stop to either assist or laugh. It seems to me our biggest problem with one another might be the uphill/downhill thing. Our clothing is typically torn, as are our arms and legs. our bikes get spooge on them, theirs do-not.

Is this all genetic, locality, or are we as MTBR's just more socially gifted?

Steve
    Oh so funny, but oh soooooo correct!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

livin' the dream......
    I am a mountain biker first, roadie second and runner third. I do enjoy pulling up to a light on the road bike, dirty mtb shoes, hairy legs and start chatting up the more traditional roadie/tri person. Most usually engage in quick hello's, then off we go when the light changes. I do give a nod to people riding in the opposite direction most of the time, usually get it back as well. Under NO circumstances do I communicate with anyone on a recumbent! The line needs to be drawn someplace.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast