mtbr member

MTB or Road Bike Cross Training Question

I was curious to know what you all thought regarding the benefits of both road biking and MTB as they relate to each other? Basically, what I am asking is which helps the other more? If I road bike 4 times a week will it benfit me in MTB? If so what can I expect? Or is MTB better to train for Road? Can doing both hinder gains at all for the other?

Just curious to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if you have a mountain bike,, dont bother getting a flimsy road bike unless you need to get from point A to B in the fastest time. just ride your MTB on the road ride for much better conditioning,, plus knowing you always have the option to bunnyhop your way over the curb and out of danger from some ******bag swerving while texting...

meow
    If you're looking to increase your endurance, then road riding will definitely help. Riding a road bike will let you do longer rides and not beat the crap out of yourself, which lets you recover faster. It can also help you develop a smooth spin and even cadence for rocky climbs on the dirt.

I do a 30-50 mile ride once or twice a week. It has definitely increased my mtb performance.Vehicles can scare the poop out of me, had a few close calls with jackass drivers. Pick roads with low traffic and/or good bike lanes and wide shoulders. Be uber aware of every vehicle out there...turn around and look at them with a laser-like stare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    if you have a mountain bike,, dont bother getting a flimsy road bike unless you need to get from point A to B in the fastest time. just ride your MTB on the road ride for much better conditioning,, plus knowing you always have the option to bunnyhop your way over the curb and out of danger from some ******bag swerving while texting...
    Road bike fitting should mimic your mtn bike to accommodate muscle memory. I'm talking xc riding here. Pro downhillers train on road bikes so why not a regular rider as well?

Slicks on your mtn bike can help you on the road, but those wide bars are just asking to get hit by a side mirror. You can make it work and save $ if you really want to. As you get better, you'll want a road bike anyway.

I bunny hop curbs and much higher on my road bike.

I think the above poster (longhairmike) said that he's only ridden 3 times this year and has called it quits for the year, sooooooo.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    there's a difference between calling it quits and making a conscious decision regarding allocating your time. making an obnoxious amount of money happened to win out this year.

mtbr member
    Riding a road bike will definitely help your mountain biking - and road biking on a road bike will help your mountain biking more than putting slicks on your mountain bike. The reason is if you are on a road bike you can go on many of the group rides and keep up (I know, it can be done on a mountain bike with slicks I have done it before, but it is VERY HARD and you have to be very fit to do it). Even a low end road bike beats the heck out of a mtb with slicks

Going on group rides will really force you to push beyond what you would normally do if you go out on your own - they are really fun unless you hook up with a group of dbag roadies (some groups are fun some are not)

Also, like the above poster mentioned, you do not get beat up as bad on a road bike so recovery is faster, stuff on road bikes rarely break - just add air, chainlube and go for thousands of miles, and the workouts are more consistant - so I think road bike helps mtb more than mtb helps road.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Riding a road bike will definitely help your mountain biking...
    Tom do you ever ride with the Hour of Power group on Tuesdays? I ride with a neighborhood group on Tuesdays (road) and cross paths with those guys up around 54th Street in the hills up in Paradise Valley. They look a bit too intense for me.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    yep... I have ridden with that group a few times... that is one of the dbag groups I was referring to earlier - a lot of the 40+ year old cat 3-4 guys on the ride are prepping for their full blown pro contract and their ride in the Tour... lol!!!

For real though... 90% of the people are super duper cool but it is a faster ride and some of the racers do it... so that is why it looks more "serious" Just jump in, stay in the back and see how long you can hang on... it will make you faster if you do it every week...

Also, come out to the tuesday Swiss american road ride - 3 mile loop, a LOT of mountain bikers and non-racers, and a lot of roadie racers show up - great mix of people. Pace is pretty good, and it is a short loop so it does not matter if you get dropped, there are always people behind you that will catch up and you can ride with...

mtbr member
    I think road biking helps my mountain biking mostly because it's much more convenient to do it as I will ride my road bike to work twice a week. If you want something that will really help the mountain biking though, I think running did much more for my mountain biking than road riding does.