mtbr member
    Apr 2007

MTB Project, will it be the death of Garmin for mountain bikers?

Has anyone used this app. MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps it looks like this will be the death of Garmin devices... Until they start charging for it.

This will come in handy when riding trails for the first time as it downloads the map to your phone (no data connection needed, only a GPS signal) and you can see if that spider trail to your left is the one your supposed to take or is it 2 miles down the trail. A heck of a lot easier than looking at a trail map and trying to decipher if your at the mapped intersection.

Not many trails mapped in Phoenix yet

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsarefun View Post
    Has anyone used this app. MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps it looks like this will be the death of Garmin devices... Until they start charging for it.

This will come in handy when riding trails for the first time as it downloads the map to your phone (no data connection needed, only a GPS signal) and you can see if that spider trail to your left is the one your supposed to take or is it 2 miles down the trail. A heck of a lot easier than looking at a trail map and trying to decipher if your at the mapped intersection.

Not many trails mapped in Phoenix yet
    the immediate problem is you are using a device that may not perform as well - touchscreen with gloves, water resistance, battery power, mounts.

can you edit and upload your own maps?

the map usage is nothing you can't get from many other sources for your gps. Its nice if you are a single-device person, however.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    go ahead and ride with a $600 phone on your handlebars out here.

mtbr member

Re: MTB Project, will it be the death of Garmin for mountain bikers?

For me it might be a good supplement to my Garmin. I keep my phone buried in my pack incase I need to make a call for help (not yet, knock wood). But I don't like the idea of mounting it to my handlebar, no matter how strong the mount.
    How is this different from just looking at the google map on the phone? Is it the lack of need of a data connection?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I keep my phone buried in my pack incase I need to make a call for help (not yet, knock wood). But I don't like the idea of mounting it to my handlebar, no matter how strong the mount.
    Ditto. Phone is buried in case I need a PHONE in an emergency. MAYBE, if it were mounted in a box that protected it completely. But then it would be useless.

recovering roadie
    Check out Maprika.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Check out Maprika.
    That's what I was about to say, they have a lot more maps than I found on mtb project.

mtbr member
    Hmm, when I went to Maprika and tried to view the maps, this is what I got:

Danger: Malware Ahead!
    Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on MAPRIKA.
    Content from MAPRIKA, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your Mac with malware.
    Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I downloaded MTB Project earlier this summer, and it was pretty crash-prone (as am I, but that's a different story). I played with it a bit, then gave up. Hopefully they can fix the bugs and add more trails, in my area it was sort of sparse.

recovering roadie
    Use the Maprika app for iphone or Android. Their website is running a little low on maintenance. Website doesn't even let you see what maps have been uploaded.

If you guys upload any maps, from experience, it's best to use their Windows app to upload and sync maps, and use as many matched points as you can. On some of the larger maps I've uploaded, I've matched up to 40 points, trying to hit major trail intersections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This App will be awesome when they get some maps uploaded. I'll check back in a year or two to see if it caught on.

mtbr member
    I used MTB project in Vegas last month and it allowed me to ride some trails without a guide or getting lost.

However I had my phone in a bag in my pack so when I got to an intersection and was not sure which way to go I pulled out the phone, pulled of my glove and checked. No way am I strapping my new S4 to the handlebars I'm not that good a rider

Tucson, AZ
    Has anyone ever used strava before?

mtbr member

MTB Project, will it be the death of Garmin for mountain bikers?

Strava is nice but it's more for a segment of a trail as opposed to the whole trail.

I honestly tried to use mtb project to upload a GPS track of the trail I was on today and can't find a way to do it. Seems the only way is to let your phone record the track. Kinda dumb.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!