Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A plethora of pinatas

MTB in The Moonlight, Sat 7/9/2011, Competitive Loops!

The next installment of the MTB in the Moonlight will be at the Comp Loops. Who is in?

Mountain Bike in the Moonlight - McDowell

McDowell Mountain Regional Park
    The 2011 Schedule is available for this summer's Mountain Bike by the Moon Light summer night ride series. This is the only night ride in the Phoenix area organized by a land manager to get mountain bikers out during the hot summer months. This ride will be on the Competitive Track. It is a great idea to preride the competitive track before the night ride. Helmets and lights will be mandatory on this ride. Only lights designed for use with mountain bikes with at least a 3 hour power source are acceptable. All riders must sign in and out at the trailhead as they start and finish their ride. Everyone needs to be off the trail by 9:30 PM. This is not a guided ride. Volunteers will sweep the course to ensure all riders return safely. For more information call 480-471-0173. RIDERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO START THEIR RIDE AFTER 8pm.

Date: 7/9/2011
    Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
    Registration Required: No
    Fee: $6 per vehicle park entry fee

Location: McDowell Mountain Regional Park - Competitive Track

Address:
    16300 McDowell Mountain Park Drive
    MMRP, AZ, AZ 85255
    Marty

Black and Sticky
    I'll be there. I hear the long loop has been reversed. I'm planning on going out there tomorrow morning so I can try that in the daylight first.

Bob

EDIT: I showed up Saturday morning about 5:30 to ride comp loops only to discover...the MBAA race. I'd already driven that far so I decided to head up the road to ride Pemberton, DM, Coachwhip, Windmill, etc. Must have gotten passed by five or six riders on Dixie Mine before I realized I was on part of the course. First clue should have been the numbers on the bikes. I just moved over and let them go by, racers were all polite.

I'll head back out next Saturday to try again. Does anybody know if the Sport Loop is reversed? In other words, is it possible to ride outer loop in reverse, i.e., long+tech+sport?
    Last edited by Bituman; 06-26-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I raced the outer loop in reverse this morning.....it wasn't at all bad, it was fun! A night ride out there will be fun, as always!

livin' the dream......
    Might do this one. A chance to ride the loops at night is cool, even in reverse.

Does anyone know why they reverse the direction. Just curious.

mtbr member
    I made the last one so sure to make this one too! I may try this Sat for a ride so which way do we go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It is obvious which way to go once you are there. Clockwise. They have multiple giant stop signs to make sure...

mtbr member
    Thanks! I thought I read on here that they changed the direction but did not bother to change the signs. Clockwise it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do they do this every Sat? Id love too!

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbike2001 View Post
    Do they do this every Sat? Id love too!
    The night ride series dates can be found at - http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowell/
    Marty

mtbr member
    I rode it CW the ohter afternoon- it was hot and I had the place to myself, which got kinda scary when I started to get overheated on top of South Ridge! I stopped for about ten minutes to get myself under control and was fine the rest of the way. CW is pretty cool out there- actually just as flowy (if not more in a few spots) than running it normal.

I can only guess they are going CW to help with trail erosion-particularly the braking bumps that have formed over the years. Not just that- it is a totally different trail backwards. The only spot that is worse for wear is some of the tight turns heading down into South Wash-the heavy braking on the non decomposed granite turned to silt. I should be there for this one!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Black and Sticky
    Has Sport Loop been reversed too? In other words, is is possible to do ride Long, Tech, Sport (this combo sometimes called Outer Loop) completely in reverse? Rand said he was considering doing that, but I never heard final decision. Guess I'll find out in AM since we're riding it EARLY.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Ridin bikes is fun
    Cool, finely a ride I can make. I'll try to be there for this one.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member

Its better in clockwise direction

I have ridden this track multiple times in the traditional counterclockwise way and now 6 times in the clockwise way and, thus far, believe that it is more fun to ride it CCW.

Black and Sticky
    Rode Long Loop this morning with DOUMTB. To answer my own question, it is not possible to ride traditional Outer Loop in reverse. That's because Sport and Tech have not been reversed. And when you enter Sport Loop there is a sign that very clearly says you must turn left when you intersect Long Loop, which would just take you back to parking lot, not a great option. So for summer while Long Loop is reversed, no Outer Loop possible.

Saw about 12 riders this AM on Long Loop and only 2 were going CCW. South Ridge was fun going up Cactus Corner all the way to other end. But going back down off South Ridge, there is a deep wheel eating rut in the silty strata that was not there before. Looks like some of the racers last week must have drug their rear wheels thru there. The rut will only get bigger with erosion. This section will need some trail maintenance to fix. Otherwise, the trail seemed to survive all the traffic from last week's race. Really enjoyed doing Long Loop in reverse. Our opinion was that it's just as fun CW as CCW. Ought to be a great night ride next week.

Bob

g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Will we only be doing the long loop on the Sat night ride?

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by g^2 View Post
    Will we only be doing the long loop on the Sat night ride?
    All the loops will be open.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I did the long loop this am at around 7am. Was cool. I got a little messed up with the signage. I kept hitting "wrong way" signs. I'm the guy from Canada that some of u helped and suggested stuff. Thanks. I'll be back tomorrow am!
    2011 Giant Anthem3 x29'er - Stock (so far)
    2009 Specialized RockHopper Hardtail - Looking to rebuild

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ps. I may join sat nite. I don't have a lite kit tho
    2011 Giant Anthem3 x29'er - Stock (so far)
    2009 Specialized RockHopper Hardtail - Looking to rebuild

Need more cowbell
    I'll be there....unless there is another Haboob or something.

mtbr member
    My riding partner just bailed on me for this ride tonight. Anyone care for a tag-a-long? I may stop along the trail to try and get some photographs with some times exposures.

Shred...it's the new drug
    We'll be out there with Lights for the Pumptrack!!! So anyone wanting to give the track a try or want some tips on ripping a track or wanting to ride a pumptrack bike...we'll be out there!!! Heck...I might even bring my 9er and rip a couple laps on the sport for some fun...

mtbr member
    Got a new sneaker on the back of the SS and ready to go tonight. 2nd ride since I sprained my wrist 3 weeks ago today. Last one sucked- this one better be good!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Good size dust storm just started hittig mesa about 20 mins ago, Its on its way out there. Hopefully everyone made it out safe and had a great ride.

Need more cowbell
    The Mongol Lord and I got out a little early and rode the first lap with a little daylight left. The 2nd lap, however, was in the dark... what a difference that trail is at night going clockwise.

Great night for a ride, seemed like there were smiles all around.

mtbr member
    Had a great time! I snakebit the new tire first mile in and stopped to pump it up three times- That stans was going to work damn it! I finally pulled the CO2's out and figured I would use that next when it suddenly sealed up and held. (Yes that was me on the side of the trail with the grn/wht jersey pumping up the SS). I got passed and repassed and rode with some of the same people a few times, like groundhogs day!

Trail is good backwards. This is my second time on the long loop in reverse and I think once I figure out the flow I will like it just as much-if not more than the normal direction. Did the Tech/Sport section for the first time backwards and I think the same thing- figure out my flow on it and it will work pretty good.

The wind storm hit right before I went onto the tech/sport loop and I told myself if no one is blocking it- I am going for it. Glad I did. A little sandblasted, wind nearly swept front wheel away a couple times- but that kind of stuff makes it more fun when you get done.
    Thanks to the folks who put this together to allow us to do it- it is a pretty special event.

"Uppercase with a space"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast