Thread: Mt. Ord Info

livin' the dream......

Mt. Ord Info

I know this was discussed a bit about a year ago, but never read if anyone rode the Mt. Ord road.

I flew in this morning from Denver, and had the window seat (bonus!) We flew right over Mt. Ord and I could see 95% of the road from the Bee Line up to the towers in onew view. Is the road open to ride? Looks like a challenging climb.

It was cool to fly over MMRP and the MSP. I could make out the Pemberton Fire Road, Bluff, etc. East End and Bell Pass looked as steep from the air as it does on the ground. Nice to get the birds eye view once in a while.

Who's done Mt. Ord?

dirt visionary
    yes you can ride the road. I think Paul has done it .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Kathleen in AZ
    The old road up the backside (north side) of Mt. Ord is more AM with lots of ruts and rocks. It's been many years since I've ridden it but it sure was a hoot back in the 90s! The old road hooks up with the newer road to the top and offers a total of 4000' climbing in 7.5 miles. Give it a try and then give us a report!

Here's the starting point for the old road:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...11973&t=h&z=17

Just pull off of 87 after a long DH if you are coming from the south. To get back on 87 when you are done, drive the dirt road alongside 87 just a bit and you you'll find you can drive under 87 to get pointed south.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

my favorite training climb

This is a good website, that I wish AZ would use more but it has info on Ord.
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...1&route_id=364

Saucy Size
    Yup, used to hit Ord ALL THE TIME once upon a time. Nice training ride. The old road is pretty rugged; the new one, not so much. Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Yup, used to hit Ord ALL THE TIME once upon a time. Nice training ride. The old road is pretty rugged; the new one, not so much. Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.
    is there a water source up there? bikepacking acceptable?

Saucy Size
    Shoot...I can't remember if there's water at the top or not. I think you could bum water off the ranger -- IIRC he's got a flatbed with a big water tank up there.

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    ... Usually the ranger in the fire tower will let you come up and check out the view, which is spectacular.

p.
    I was up there a few years ago. The ranger at the time was just a dick. He wouldn't let us up to the top and just seemed annoyed that we were there at all.
    Maybe next time.

livin' the dream......
    Thanks for all the links, and info. Definitly on my list, and I will post up a ride report after I do it.

livin' the dream......
    That is a cool website!

Members who have read this thread: 0