View Poll Results: Which weekend is best?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • April 21-22

2 33.33%
  • April 28-29

3 50.00%
  • no preference

1 16.67%
    Downhill Spokesmodel

Mt Graham Weekend

I would like to get a weekend trip together to Mt Graham sometime at the end of April. The weather at the top of the mountain should be perfect and the temps at the base hopefully wont be too hot.
    This place has some of the best shuttlable trails (imho) and also some nice xc stuff as well.
    Check out the maps
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=53
    I'll set up a poll to find out which would be the best weekend for everyone.
    PM me if you are interested or would like more info.
    James
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Downhill Spokesmodel

Photos -- Bump!!!!

Here are some photos of the Ash Creek trail on Mt Graham.

These were taken in the fall, so Ash Creek will probably have more water in it in April.

Just another half mile...

Good job! Epic DHing for sure!

Hey James,

I may just be up for this Epic DH again and I think Mikehell woudl be up for it again too!. The last weekend in April is the only weekend we have free that month. What are you thinking, one day romp or a weekend campout?

As James said, these are the best shuttlable trails in AZ! Definitely worth the trip if you love DHing!

Here are a bunch more pics from our last trip: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=60

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    I would like to get a weekend trip together to Mt Graham sometime at the end of April. The weather at the top of the mountain should be perfect and the temps at the base hopefully wont be too hot.
    This place has some of the best shuttlable trails (imho) and also some nice xc stuff as well.
    Check out the maps
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=53
    I'll set up a poll to find out which would be the best weekend for everyone.
    PM me if you are interested or would like more info.
    James

Downhill Spokesmodel
    I am definately thinking about a weekend campout so we can hit the greatest number of trails.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    Here are some photos of the Ash Creek trail on Mt Graham.
    Thanks for the pics (both of you). I have been contemplating a route off Graham for an upcoming trip.

Is there any fire damage on Ash Creek Trail? Looking at the Nuttal fire map it seems like it was mostly spared. I guess it must not be too bad (hike-a-bike creek crossings notwithstanding) if you guys are doing it again.

Sounds like a great trip. Definitely qualifies as adventure DH.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Looks like bagging on the 2 minute DH at Firestone is going to be the tough decision.

Like I said, nubes on Arcadia need to start earlier for the 10 mile full DH fun (no light needed this time I hope).

What Dale said

mtbr member
    Lostboyz and I and maybe some others might be in for this one. I have no set schedule so somebody pick a date and I'll set it accordingly. later, James
    JRA

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Lostboyz and I and maybe some others might be in for this one. I have no set schedule so somebody pick a date and I'll set it accordingly. later, James
    Hey Mike, You mind if I tag along for this one if you go??

Oh, and I got your derailleur ready to go if you want it back. And, I would like to buy that pressure suit and Chainguard from ya.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

Downhill Spokesmodel

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Date is Set

The Mt Graham weekend is scheduled for April 28-29. Mark your calenders and make your plans. I would like to get a list together of everyone that will be attending so that I can keep them posted. PM me with your email address and you will be kept in the loop.
    James

mtbr member
    I'm in....Mt. Graham is a lot of fun

Scott in Tucson
    Hey all,

I rode/hiked/fought my way through Ash Creek Trail #301 yesterday.

First, there is still a fair amount of snow on the trail. The first switchbacks are covered, with several trees down. The "road" (wide) section looks like this:

Snow down to about 8300' (start is 9500').

It was cold when I was there, so my tires only sunk in the first inch or two. That made those drifts rideable and mucho fun. 5 degrees warmer and it might have meant more walkin'.

And there was plenty of walking to be done. I honestly can't believe you guys would consider doing this trail again given the shape it is in.

I'm not the most technically adept rider in the world, but I can generally hold my own, and I know enough about what is and isn't rideable. I can only surmise that much has changed in the middle Ash Creek section since the last time you rode there.

Basically, I could find no trace of any trail for over 1 mile. After the first section of switchbacks (I rode some, walked others) the trail descends to where it starts crossing the creek. There were dozens of trees down, boulders, you name it. It wasn't hike-a-bike, but pure, brutal, bushwhacking. There might have been a trail under there somewhere, but there was no way to tell.

The creek is raging pretty good. Here's what the falls looked like (awesome) :

This may be some indication of what has happened elsewhere to the trail:

Let's just say I didn't put my full weight on that railing like I'm used to. I was really surprised to see that about to fall apart completely.

I think that the fire damage (above Ash Creek, on both sides) is starting to cause major problems from above. At least that's my take.

I believe this used to be the trail:

I'd be curious to hear your experiences on the trail. I'm glad I did it the once, but I wouldn't do it again, even shuttled to the top and on my 35 lb trail bike. But I realized my experience may be colored by the fact that I had already ridden (off road) ~Mexico->Tucson->Mammoth->Klondyke->Graham by the time I got there, and the Mickey-D shake machine was calling my name. LOUDLY.

By the way, the second set of switchbacks were fairly rideable (not too bad) and once the trail climbed away from the drainage at the end it was like a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders. I rode almost everything from there to the 4x4 road (minus the last 2 switchbacks).

In short, I wouldn't recommend it for your next trip. Or, give it a shot anyway, and I'd love to hear your perspective on it.

Finally -- I'm not sure the road is open yet. No snow (that I saw), but there were still trees that hadn't been cut, suggesting that they haven't opened the gate yet.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Scott in Tucson
    Are you guys still going to make the trip?

It occurred to me that Ash Creek probably isn't all that bad. Looking at my GPS track it's clear it didn't take that long to get down, I was just expecting better conditions overall, and expectation can be a killer. With a more appropriate expectation, it might not be so bad.

I see that in Dale's pictures you ran close to sunset coming down it. So maybe it's always been slow and hike-a-bike-y.

If you guys do Arcadia Trail, I'll be curious to hear how that one is. Early in the season it can be a mess of trees, too. But they are pretty good about logging it out since it's a National Recreation Trail.

Have fun. Mt. Graham is a special place.

elbow gloves
    Wow Scott - Sounds like things have changed on that trail in the last 18 months. Around that time (2 octobers ago) myself and 4 others (Mr. Nelson, Mr. Everist, Mr. Sadow and Mr. Snyder) rode down ash creek and back up the road. At the time, the trail was 95% ridable if you are paying attention and never dissapeared. That creek crossing/death plunge trail bridge you've got shown was walkable and nearly ridable. Now it just looks crazy scary. Sounds like we got to put a check mark on that trail at the right time because, to this day it is one of the most amazing rides i've been on . Sounds like your right about the fire damage moving down the creek. Bummer.

Matt

mtbr member

Thinking of passing this time

Looks like a bag of worms. I hope to see a good write up by the hardy folks who make it.

Downhill Spokesmodel

Cancelling the trip.

I'm thinking that this may not be the best time to attempt this trip. I am still waiting for the gentleman who is in charge of trail maintenance on the mountain to get back to me. Snow and downed trees can really hamper the fun, not to mention serious erosion of the trail. Hopefully they can get the trail fixed up this summer. Maybe try again in the fall - I'm thinking late October.
    I'll have to pass as I also had a conference come up this weekend.
    If anyone is still thinking of going let me know and I can get you directions to the lower trailhead points.
    Sorry for the letdown.
    James
    Last time I rode Arcadia about 2 1/2 years ago, it had been reopened after the fire, but it wasn't the same. The nice flowy singletrack at the top has been inundated with waterbars (rocks & logs) to stop erosion of the trail. It used to be nice smooth pine needle covered trail, but it is now hard and rocky.
    Last edited by ShortBusJames; 04-23-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    Wow Scott - Sounds like things have changed on that trail in the last 18 months. Around that time (2 octobers ago) myself and 4 others (Mr. Nelson, Mr. Everist, Mr. Sadow and Mr. Snyder) rode down ash creek and back up the road. At the time, the trail was 95% ridable if you are paying attention and never dissapeared. That creek crossing/death plunge trail bridge you've got shown was walkable and nearly ridable. Now it just looks crazy scary. Sounds like we got to put a check mark on that trail at the right time because, to this day it is one of the most amazing rides i've been on . Sounds like your right about the fire damage moving down the creek. Bummer.
    Matt,

Thanks for the response and confirmation. I had the ride you guys did in mind that day, and just couldn't imagine it was that bad, given what I knew of your ride. No way anyone could ride at least 20% of it now. 10% isn't even walkable.

To the phoenix crew, I didn't mean to discourage you from making the trip. My guess is that south side trails would still be good to go (no fire damage there whatsoever). The Clark Peak trail had maybe a tree or two down on it, and was otherwise in great shape.

But, Fall is generally a better time for Mt. Graham, giving the FS a chance to saw some trees and fix things up. I'm hoping that last summer's monsoon really pounded the trail and that the same thing won't happen this summer.

I was hoping to hear a bit about others experience on Ash Creek, but I guess I know what I needed to know. Thanks Matt.