mtbr member
    Nov 2012

MT bike community is awesome!

Like the title says, had a good run in with some bikers.

This Labor day I decided to ride FINS like many people that morning. i got everything ready and went out to ride. I started on Joey's Jaunt and rode up to the Hurls. Thought I would ride the Hurl first and then continue on for a good hour or so.

Needless to side i made it half way down and washed out on a corner. When i got back up and grabbed the bike my front tire had come off the rim and was completely flat. not sure if my tire came off and i crashed, or i crashed and my tire came off. I run tubeless.

I had given my extra tube to a buddy on a ride in Flag two weeks earlier and had not replaced it yet. So began my walk of shame. It is not the first or last time i will walk out of a trail but this time was interesting.

Every rider out there, and there were a lot that morning, stopped and offered their assistance. i turned them down saying i didn't want to take their spare, who knows if they might need it that day. I would feel bad if that happened and it wasn't a far walk to the car.

Well one guy wouldn't take no for an answer and stopped pulled out his spare, checked it for leaks and handed it over. i placed the tube and rode for another eight miles and had a great ride. he said it was goo to rotate your stock anyway so your spare doesn't get old in your pack.

i think he was just being awesome. i want to thank Sam on the grey Moots 29er. If you are on this forum or you know him have him PM me so i can send him some new stock for his emergency pack.

Three hiker couples passed by without a word. I know thy couldn't help but just a courtesy "is there something we can do?" would be nice.

Mountain riders are really great and don't be afraid to lend a helping hand. I know i won't

No Clue Crew
    Fortunately for us, that behavior seems to be the norm.

I was up at Stevens Pass Bike Park a couple weeks ago and saw a guy off the trail working on his bike. As usual I gave him the "everything all right?" He snapped back, "just changing a tire" as if I couldn't see that. Only *****bag I've ever had get short with me for asking if he needed help. I never pass anyone stopped without saying something. "Hey" if they are just shootin' the sh|t or "got everything you need" if they look like they are having problems.

mtbr member
    I had issues with my bike last weekend and 2 bikers at BCT kept offering me assistance. They were both on Giant hardtails, I'm not too good with names (Braydon, maybe?). Anyways, I kept having a chain issue, as well as having my camel back hose shut off valve break and start leaking everywhere. Made it back okay, but it was nice knowing I was being followed by help if needed. Many thanks.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not cool to be an a** when someone is offering help.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    It is part of the off road code. You see the same thing in moto and wheeling as well. Since its remote and a bummer to be broke, we always offer to help. It also gives good trail karma so you break down less to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    favorite part of this community even if riding alone its always nice to know you may get some help if your really in trouble. I think that's why my RC truck is gathering so much dust right now
    2007 Kona Kula

Meatbomb
    I carry both a spare 29 and 26 inch tube. You never know when someone will need one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I carry both a spare 29 and 26 inch tube. You never know when someone will need one.
    That is some really great foresight. Much Karma to you for looking out for fellow riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Same here, but it seems like I'm the only one ever doing trailside repairs.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Same here, but it seems like I'm the only one ever doing trailside repairs.
    That just means you are riding hard enough to rock the trail. If you don't break something every once in awhile you are not riding hard enough.