Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mr. Moto visits Phoenix Sonoran Preserve (North)

I could see how the new trails are irresistible....so fresh, so new, so needed-to-be-broken-in....but.....really?? And after a rain? Maybe they didn't know......

I guess it could have been someone with quads of steel.....and 26x5.0in tires.....

BOLO.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mr. Moto visits Phoenix Sonoran Preserve (North)-imagejpeg_2.3.001.jpg  

Mr. Moto visits Phoenix Sonoran Preserve (North)-imagejpeg_2.1.jpg  

slow uphill
    D!cks. I saw a couple of kids go out on small motos, I think it was Sunday mid-day. D!ck move with so much out there for jeep trails, not to mention motored vehicles aren't allowed in the preserve.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    motoforkers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog View Post
    D!cks. I saw a couple of kids go out on small motos, I think it was Sunday mid-day. D!ck move with so much out there for jeep trails, not to mention motored vehicles aren't allowed in the preserve.
    Photo was taken Saturday morning ~6:30am.

The "problem" is that the area had many moto and jeep trails before Phoenix purchased the land. Once purchased, they obliterated many of the jeep trails. So, folks who were once able to drive their motos out there from their house are tempted by the nice recently-built non-motorized trails.

FWIW, I'm not anti-moto....just want to make sure the non-motorized trails stay non-motorized.

mtbr member
    I'm sure you don't like it when people generalize and hate on mountain bikers. I'm not defending they people who did this, but don't blame all moto riders.

ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    I'm sure you don't like it when people generalize and hate on mountain bikers. I'm not defending they people who did this, but don't blame all moto riders.

ben
    Sorry, I couldn't hear you....I was too busy checking my Strava stats guzzling a Mountain Dew with a Monster Energy chaser while bunny hopping into hikers' faces after cutting rouge DH trails using the shells of desert tortoises, dropping GU wrappers along the way. Luckily for us, there's no way to generalize MTBRs....

I think most would agree with you. Sounds like it was a bunch of kids. Of course we can generalize them and their hipster single-speed skinny-jean wearing friends. Now get off my lawn.....

Just BOLO out there...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    When I was there about 6 weeks ago there were moto tracks too. I also didn't see any signs restricting motos, so one could plan to play ignorant if caught. Some signs and education should cut the motos out easily. Bummer if they lost their jeep trails though. I'd be a little gruff too.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I ride and race dirt bikes on Single Track mainly. Just as Jeep roads are boring on a mountain bike, they are boring on a dirt bike. There are plenty of idiots that own two wheeled machines.

After rain? Best time to ride anything in the dirt.

I saw some moto tracks at Hawse about a year ago and I was pissed too. I agree that for the DG melt away trails we have her around PHX, it is hard to co-exist on Single Track. Moto would just ruin many great mtb trails here. Go to terrain that is more sustainable and it is a different story. Colorado, Utah, Prescott, Flagstaff seems to work pretty well.

The moto group has lost so many trails and locations. We lose a bit more every single year. It sucks. No reason to poach mtb trails though. Also, remember that many a mtb/hiking trail were created by Mr. Moto years ago.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 09-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I ride and race dirt bikes on Single Track mainly. Just as Jeep roads are boring on a mountain bike, they are boring on a dirt bike. There are plenty of idiots that own two wheeled machines.

After rain? Best time to ride anything in the dirt.

I saw some moto tracks at Hawse about a year ago and I was pissed too. I agree that for the DG melt away trails we have her around PHX, it is hard to co-exist on Single Track. Moto would just ruin many great mtb trails here. Go to terrain that is more sustainable and it is a different story. Colorado, Utah, Prescott, Flagstaff seems to work pretty well.

The moto group has lost so many trails and locations. We lose a bit more every single year. It sucks. No reason to poach mtb trails though. Also, remember that many a mtb/hiking trail were created by Mr. Moto years ago.
    Mark my words, Mountain bikes will be banned next...I hate to say it, but I can already detect the trend picking up speed just like it did with dirtbikes...When it happens, it will just suddenly be against the law to ride your favorite trail..
    Check my pulse...

Meatbomb
    Occupy Hawes

mtbr member
    I miss my dirtbike.

I used to live in CT and by the time I left, there was only 1 legal place to ride that I knew of within a reasonable distance. It sucked. All places were getting converted to mtb and hiking trails. I will always say that there are never enough mtb trails, but it sucked owning a dirtbike after a while. No excuse to be on a trail you don't belong on, though, as it seems that AZ still has quite a few legal riding spots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I miss my dirtbike.

I used to live in CT and by the time I left, there was only 1 legal place to ride that I knew of within a reasonable distance. It sucked. All places were getting converted to mtb and hiking trails. I will always say that there are never enough mtb trails, but it sucked owning a dirtbike after a while. No excuse to be on a trail you don't belong on, though, as it seems that AZ still has quite a few legal riding spots.
    My dirt bike is street legal, I have discovered dual sport riding, and it is really great..I had to compromise my gearing a bit too tall for the really tight gnarly ST stuff, but it's totally workable for 95% of the trails I enjoy riding...
    Check my pulse...

Carnivore
    Think of how all the Flag moto riders feel. They/we went from hundreds of miles of killer ST to 20 miles with the stroke of a federal bureaucrats pen. Almost all the trails in the Flag area were originally built and still maintained by moto riders. The Coconino National Forest gave us the finger. I think mtb riders and dirt bikes can coexist fine and ought to work together to keep trails open for two wheels whether pedal powered or moto.

Next time you are riding in Fort Valley in Flag and hear a dirt bike don't blame us. It is the only place we are allowed to ride now. Pretty stupid on the part of the CNF to restrict dirt bikes to one of the most heavily used trail systems right next to town. Then again maybe they did it on purpose so they would generate a bunch of hate so they could justify getting rid of motorized travel altogether.

mtbr member
    It's headed the same direction in the areas surrounding Phoenix. And the FS is not straight up about it at all. For example, they shut down the entire Murphy trail system out near Bartlett reservoir due to "fire recovery". First off, the burn was not bad, second off, it was so long ago now that any recovery has already occurred. But, they say it is closed, and that's that, our government at work for us , making our decisions for us, controlling us, testing us..There is also a huge area closed off out near the Sunflower area due to "fire recovery" pretty sure it will never reopen. And, out the Rolls OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) recreation area, they closed about 50% of the trails and got away with it..There was no notice, no votes, nada..they just closed half of the trails, no question..WTF is that? it's an off road park for christ' sake..

All I can say is I wish that the trail users would wake up and work together to keep trails open. This means mountain bikes, horseback riders, dirtbikes, yes, even hikers..its the old adage together we stand, divided we fall. Well it's pretty easy to manipulate the minds of these groups since they each believe that only their sport/activity is legitimate. Unfortunately, in the long run, everybody loses when the driving forces divide and conquer.

At the end of the day, not much I can do but hope to have access to the trails I regular on my MTB for another 20 years (or more, assuming I ride until I'm 64+! That's a solid goal for me!)
    Check my pulse...

Carnivore
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post

All I can say is I wish that the trail users would wake up and work together to keep trails open. This means mountain bikes, horseback riders, dirtbikes, yes, even hikers..its the old adage together we stand, divided we fall. Well it's pretty easy to manipulate the minds of these groups since they each believe that only their sport/activity is legitimate. Unfortunately, in the long run, everybody loses when the driving forces divide and conquer.
    Amen to that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep there is almost no where left these days for us that are also into off road motorsports. Do a search on adgenda 21, it's as scarey as the movie 2016.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's nice to see some people are awake to what's going on. I wish more people would wake up, and fast!

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2011 View Post
    Yep there is almost no where left these days for us that are also into off road motorsports. Do a search on adgenda 21, it's as scarey as the movie 2016.

Hey....you better go buy a Mayan calendar before they run out....I don't want you to get caught off guard since you already are pretty informed about the other horsemen out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It has nothing to do with the Mayan calendar

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2011 View Post
    The motocrosser types did it to themselves ripping out across virgin desert tearing up everything in their path , digging deep ruts. I don't want to generalize but I will, most of the younger riders have the IQ of a turnip. Don't believe me go out to a motocross race sometime.
    For the record was one of them as a teenager.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    The motocrosser types did it to themselves ripping out across virgin desert tearing up everything in their path , digging deep ruts. I don't want to generalize but I will, most of the younger riders have the IQ of a turnip. Don't believe me go out to a motocross race sometime.
    For the record was one of them as a teenager.
    Come on, you can't be serious -- did it to themselves? I happen to know that for more than 10 years now the dirtbike community has been working diligently to fight this stereotype and to keep lands open for OHV use using designated trail systems. I know plenty of people who use their dirtbikes within the rules. Fact is it is a losing battle because enthusiasts fail to unite agains the eco groups who oppose the use of OHV resources.

You can't blame everyone for the actions of a few. Based on your statement we should outlaw cars just because a small group drag races illegally on public streets.

Believe me, if dirtbikes lose their battle, mountain bikes won't be far behind. They'll just move on to the next target.

ben

mtbr member
    I'm also going to go out on a limb here and bet that many of the trails that the mountain bike community enjoys today were cut by dirt bikes at some point. The only exception will be trails that were cut by machinery on virgin ground, such as City parks.

ben

mtbr member
    Everybody needs to realize, if you can't police yourselves, some bureaucrat will do it for you, and I guarantee you won't like the results.

Shooters, Jeep and dirtbike guys know what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    I'm also going to go out on a limb here and bet that many of the trails that the mountain bike community enjoys today were cut by dirt bikes at some point. The only exception will be trails that were cut by machinery on virgin ground, such as City parks.

ben
    I hear that a lot. It seems to almost be a reflexive defense (probably because there are plenty of anti-moto guys in the MTB community).

Can someone give me some examples in the PHX area? I know Pima and Dynamite...but, to be honest, there is a real mixed bag out there. There are some crappy sand-filled stutter-bumped trails out there that I'm pretty sure motos cut....some are unridable.

It seems that many newer trails are now purpose-built specifically for MTB and hikers...including the one in the original post. Technically, a moto has now helped break it in.........

mtbr member
    I canít think of a single trail in the Phoenix area that I would enjoy on my mtb that was made by a moto. The moto trails ate great but usually illegally made (like the mm11 area) so the grades and terrain are wrong for pedal power.

The moto groups cannot even get along with each other so they will never be able to stand as one for their cause. At least that's how it use to be.
    Last edited by AKA Monkeybutt; 09-15-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast