Ask me how...

New question here. Moving to Tucson ... need help.

Hello MTBRs,

I am moving to tucson this summer, and i would like to get some local info about where to ride (both mt. and road), where to live (cool neighborhoods, easy access to trails, etc) and general info about Tucson...

We can take it off line if necessary..

I look forward to riding in the desert and meeting fellow riders..

Cheers!
    Q

mtbr member
    Have you tried...

Searching this forum?

I just typed in "moving tucson" and got a diaperload of hits, such as:

Tucson move
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

workin' it Administrator
    Moving as in buying a home or renting?

Move anywhere. There is riding at all corners of Tucson and everything is about 1/2hr drive from the center of town.

Move mid town for the best of all worlds. Organized road ride from the U of A Wed mornings and 1/2hr access to all the riding in the immediate area. 'spensive though.
    Try this: HTFU

Ask me how...
    rockcrusher thanks for the reply. My wife got an internship at the VA, so for now renting.. Can you tell me what streets would define the "MidTown" area?

Cheers,
    Q

workin' it Administrator
    Midtown area generally includes downtown and the University of Arizona area.

googlemap

Also Starr Pass has many apartments that one can live in and have access to the Starr Pass/Tucson mountain park trails from their front door essentially.

Check out:

tucson bike trails + google earth

You can use this page to plot out a perfect location to the riding areas too.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    As far as area to live in, midtown wise, I would avoid Columbus west to Campbell and Grant north to Prince. The Flower/Dodge neighboorhood is pretty bad...lotsa meth, hookers and break-ins. I am at Tucson Blvd and Blacklidge and just got broken into...little did I know that break-ins are very common to the area.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Midtown area generally includes downtown [...]
    ride natty ride

"Yabut"
    No matter what part of town you live in, there will be somewhere fairly close to ride. Tucson is a mixed bag of neighborhoods. It literally varies from block to block. Realtors call it "Southwest Mix". You just have to move here, and see what neighborhood you like. Renting is a good idea, until you learn your way around. If you like a "downtown" scene, stay away from the NW side of town. It's kinda like it's own seperate city, and not convienent to downtown at all. The southside should be avoided, as there is a lot of crime in the area.

As far as riding goes.... The eastside and southeast side are good for getting to Fantasy Island, and Reddington Pass. The westside is good for Tucson Mountain Park, and Star Pass. Northwest side has Golder Ranch. Northside of town butts up against the Catalina Foothills, which is expensive, and a little bit of a drive to any riding.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Old Fart at Play
    Well if I had a wife, and she worked at the VA, and I was a mountain biker, I would look for housing somewhere between the hospital and the trails of Tucson Mtn. Park. The Park begins just west of Starr Pass golf course and extends well past Kinney Rd. So let's say an area bounded by Silverbell rd. on the east, Ajo Way on the south, Grant Rd. on the north, and the Tucson Mts. on the west. You can find many newer homes and apartments in this area. If your tastes run to older, more established neighborhoods, there are several registered historic neighborhoods in the Downtown/University area, such as the one I live in - Armory Park, which are a little farther from the trails, but closer to cultural attractions and still not far from the VA. My place for instance is less than a ten minute drive to the VA (or 15-20 minute ride) and a fifteen minute drive to the Starr Pass trailhead (though I usually ride from my house). Another poster warned of the "crime" of the southside. The VA is on the southside. I have a friend who lives three blocks from there and has never had a problem with "crime". Seems like a nice family neighborhood to me, and I'm sure the rents are much more reasonable there. It does have a higher percentage of Hispanics than the "northside", but that just means you have more Mexican restaurants to choose from. We all know mountain bikers run on beans!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...7&om=1&iwloc=A
    Last edited by Titus Maximus; 03-03-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Ask me how...

Thanks!!

to everyone for the replies. I am heading down this weekend, for a scouting trip. .sans bike.. that will have to wait.

Cheers,
    Q