mtbr member
    Sep 2006

moving to Phx: whats best location in the Valley

to move to be near the trails for convenient after work rides ?
    I'll be working in the north Phx, so I was thinking maybe the seven springs area would be
    the best place to go. So I was thinking of trying to find an apartment maybe 20 - 30 min
    away from that. Is that a good choice, or is McDowell reeserve area better ?
    I'm not really familiar at all with N. Phx, so any info would be helpful.
    Hope I can get used to the extra 10 degrees, heatwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

How North in North Phoenix????

Unike most cities, Phoenix has great mountain biking in the middle of town. The Phoenix Mountain Park system near Piestewa Peak, just a couple of miles north of downtown, has an amazing number of mountain bike trails, from easy to very challenging. I specifically moved back into town to be near the mountain park. You didn't say where in North Phoenix you would be working. Commuting is usually a hassle in Phoenix, so take that into account when trying to decide where to live.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tempe is the best place.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Probably near the metrocenter if I decide to take that one.
    I rode Phx Mtn Park once a long time ago and I remember it being mostly flat and rocky.
    What about McDowell Mtn. Park ? How is that ?
    Tempe is near South Mtn, but thats it as far as I know.
    I just would like to be within easy commuting distance for some after work rides.

Tdub
    Buy my house....It's on the market and about 200 yards from accessing the entire Preserve network of trails in Mcdowell Mtn Ranch/Fountain Hills. I'm going to be bummed moving to TN where I know there is great riding, but not 30 seconds from your front door!
    [SIZE="3"]"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What kind of riding are you looking for? XC, Free ride, DH, hill climbing? This will make all the difference on where you should live.

North Mountain has 5 hours of riding, if you do a complete out and back, with 3K+ of climbing. A trail head is 10 min from metro center. About the only thing North Mountain doesn't have is bomber downhill’s, and that is because of the number of hikers. 75% of the trail is rocky XC single track and 10% is free ride technical stuff, and the rest is smooth single/double track.

I have yet to ride So Mtn. (I have trouble with getting into my car to go for a ride) I hear it has twice the amount of trails, and more crazy stuff. I'll let the SoMtn locals tell you about it.

Traffic here is bad, so make sure you judge your 20-30 min commute by rush hour time.

mtbr member
    We need crossroads-- there is a whole lot of north phoenix.

When are your working hours? If you are lucky you work 6am-2pm or 10am-6pm, if not you'll be spending lots of time in your car if you don't locate near work.

The good news is there is riding all over town, we'll hook you up. Let us know where you are going to work!!!
    -MitchB

Occidental Tourist
    moon valley

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsarefun
    . 75% of the trail is rocky XC single track and 10% is free ride technical stuff, and the rest is smooth single/double track.
    Being technical makes it freeride?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Being technical makes it freeride?

freeride makes it technical

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Looks like I'll be working by the metrocenter, 8 - 5, so timed perfectly for rush hour.
    Here in Tucson, mostly I've been riding somewhat techy XC stuff, lots of hillclimbing.
    Typical ride time in the summer would be around 75 - 90 minutes. I like to ridew an area
    where theres variety to keep it interesting.
    Any tips on which areas are relatively safe would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been looking at apartment complexes online and am a hard time finding one that doesnt
    totally suck. (I'm going from what I've read on apartmentreviews.com)
    At least the ones I've researched near the metrocenter seem to be noisy, roach infested,
    not the kind of place you'd want to live. I wish there were some good alternatives to those
    big apartment complexes.

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Looks like I'll be working by the metrocenter, 8 - 5, so timed perfectly for rush hour.
    Here in Tucson, mostly I've been riding somewhat techy XC stuff, lots of hillclimbing.
    Typical ride time in the summer would be around 75 - 90 minutes. I like to ridew an area
    where theres variety to keep it interesting.
    Any tips on which areas are relatively safe would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been looking at apartment complexes online and am a hard time finding one that doesnt
    totally suck. (I'm going from what I've read on apartmentreviews.com)
    At least the ones I've researched near the metrocenter seem to be noisy, roach infested,
    not the kind of place you'd want to live. I wish there were some good alternatives to those
    big apartment complexes.

Check out Phoenix Mtn Preserve, and Paradise Valley area. It's close to great riding and near your work, yet east of the metrocenter mall area in a good neighborhood.

Here's just one link I found, it looks to be pretty close to the trails, and there's got to be more apartments over that way.

http://www.paradisefoothillsapts.com/
    07 GF Rig

Occidental Tourist
    there is plenty is the preserves to keep you busy.
    stay away from the apts very near metro center.
    the further east you go (in general) the nicer the hoods.
    this map will give you better idea and keep in mind that the
    arizona canal goes right to metro center so if yer inclined to
    ride to work sometimes, proximity to the canal is good.
    http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/detail.cms?item=4643

anyone know what the apts are right near aunt chiladas?
    that would be ideal imho.

i like cheese.
    If you are looking for apartments, there are a couple around the 40th and Camelback area, one of which I am in. Not so ideal for metrocenter... but easily ridable to the preserves, good access to freeways, and well located in general.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is a couple along Cactus between 7th St and the 51, even down 32nd St south of Cactus. I used to live off of 28th St and Cactus could ride 5 minutes to T100 and ride it either way. Currently live in "the slope" 3 minutes from the beginning of 100 on the west side. Also only 10 minutes from Metro. Maybe zipcodes will help 85021,85022,85032. Keep around the hills of central phoenix, and you will thank yourself later.

CrazyEye

Check these out

Check these out....close comute and riding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=14&om=1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Le_Buzz,

If you like a verity of terrain, trail 100 is what you’re looking for. As everyone is saying, go east of Metro Center north or south of the mountain and you'll be in a good place. The further you go east the higher the prices will be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    Check these out....close comute and riding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=14&om=1

D,G,F,B would all be good spots, the others on that map are G-H-E-T-T-O, it wont matter how close you are to the hills, becuase your bike will be up on craigslist and you wont be the one selling it.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I wouldn't live where you can bike easily...I would live where can you live better. I moved into Ahwatukee about 6-7 years ago so I was able to buy low and have S. Mtn really close and it isn't nearly as patchy as most other places in Phoenix is. However, to have any kind of good time with other 25-35 year olds I have to drive 20-30 minutes.

Don't move to a bad part of town or near a bad part of town just because you can drive 10 minutes to trails. Think of your safety, your property's safety, and your resale value.