Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moving to Phoenix Area

My wife and I are possible moving to the Phoenix area before the end of the year. I will be working at the airport and looking to live in an area close some good mountain biking trails. Any help would be appricated.

mtbr member
    You can live closet to south Mtn (south or east side is a nicer area than north side or west side) Or live close to the Phx Mtn preserve. 51Fwy and Northern. Both of these ares are good for Mtn bike and close drive to the airport.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Central and Broadway area

awesome Mexican food, Really cheap real estate, and close to South Mountain ...

what else do you want
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Central and Broadway area

awesome Mexican food, Really cheap real estate, and close to South Mountain ...

what else do you want
    He didn't say he wanted to get robbed when he moved here...

Jetman: anywhere you live in town is close to mountain biking. Depending on your budget and if you are looking to rent/own, there are plenty of good neighborhoods north of the airport along HW51 where you can ride to the trail from your front door in less than 5min. Same goes for east of the airport near tempe/papago. To the south about 15-20min on I-10 the same applies near South Mountain(just live to the south of it...area to the north is...interesting.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When are you coming to Phoenix? Rent or own and what price range you looking at? PM me.
    Because, one is never enough.

How much further ???
    Are you looking to start a family here? Like others have said you are close to mountain biking in many places in the valley and the highways get you to where you want to go fairly quick. If you plan to start a family focus on some good areas with good schools. Gilbert for example has made CNNMoneys top 100 places to raise a family. If no kids then Id stay away from there as there are much better places for night life etc.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman46 View Post
    My wife and I are possible moving to the Phoenix area before the end of the year. I will be working at the airport and looking to live in an area close some good mountain biking trails. Any help would be appricated.
    Few questions to answer:
    What's your medium income?
    Race (Cat 1, Cat 2, etc.)?
    What Car do you Drive?
    26er/29er?
    Circumcised?

As others have said, you're never very far from the trails here in Phoenix. But if you're working at the airport, and want to live close by, Ahwatukee (sp?)/Tempe is your best bet.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Consider Ahwatukee. Less than 15 miles from the airport, plenty of amenities, 80, or so, miles of trails ranging from XC to technical heaven, you don't see the smog and it's a very outdoor oriented community.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    good info so far.

Another option North East Mesa is 25 to 30 minutes to PHX on the 202 fwy

Close to Hawes trail system and easy escape to Forest and Lakes

With no kids I would probably do Tempe or Awhatukee

Give it a crank
    Your best bet is to pick an area to live between two or more trail networks. That way you'll be able to choose which aree to ride and drive less than 10 miles in any direction. The riding almost anywhere is great, at least once you get used to the AZ chunk, but variety is key to keeping it awesome.

I have one park just 5 miles west, another 7 miles NE, a third 13 miles N, and more options within a 20 mile drive. You can actually ride so many trails here that many mtb riders get on a road bike once in a while just to take a rest.

slower than you
    if i had to move back to PHX (God forbid), I'd do everything I could to relocate riding-distance of Hawes. SoMo is cool but terribly overcrowded, especially as compared to Hawes.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

My other ride is your mom
    I live in NoPho (101/51) right now and my drive to the airport is 22 minutes via the 51....trails I ride to up here are....ok/boring....buff, wide track with no real variation (Sonoran Preserve). Drive to SoMo heavy chunk is 30min.

I used to live in Las Sendas (202/Power Rd) and my drive to the airport was 20 minutes....trails I rode to there were a lot better, more dynamic ST, beautiful desert (Hawes) and access to Pass Mountain for some light/medium chunk. My drive to SoMo for more techy rides was about 20 minutes.

I also lived in NoSko (101/Frank Lloyd Wright), the trails I could ride from my house were either up or down (McDowells)....but still fun on crapassmini chunk. Drive to SoMo heavy chunk was 30 minutes, drive to the airport was 25 minutes.

Pick your poison.

EDR

Re: Moving to Phoenix Area

Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    Consider Ahwatukee. Less than 15 miles from the airport, plenty of amenities, 80, or so, miles of trails ranging from XC to technical heaven, you don't see the smog and it's a very outdoor oriented community.
    There's no smog to be seen in Tukee? Smog is never seen up close and personal. Let's be real, it's a fine place to live but it does lie in Phoenix proper. No different than living miles away in any direction.

When standing at the top of Mormon or National Trail and looking at the smog ring enveloping the Phoenix metropolitan area, don't you think you are indeed in the middle of it all? Of course you are. It's just that smog is better appreciated when looking into the distance and saying to yourself, glad I don't live over there. When in fact you do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I live in North Phx and love it. I am close to the PHX Sonoran preserve and McDowell mountain preserve and within 20 min of the dreamy draw area. No matter where you live in Phx, you're pretty close to a good riding trail.....especially for a weekend ride.

Also living in North PHX, I am closer to the black canyon trail, about 80 min away from Sedona (which has some fantastic trails), and don't have to worry about sketchy neighborhoods.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for all the information please keep it coming. A little more detail in what we are looking for:
    1) Looking for a home with at least an acre of land, we have Vizsla's and a small yard just won't work.
    2) Trying to stay in the low to mid 200's
    3) 50 minutes of the airport, live in Atlanta now and driving 47 miles each way now.
    4) Some of the homes we have been looking at are in Maricopa, Buckeye, New River, and Surprise.
    "Casual Observer" 1: not a racer, 2: TDI, 3: 650B Burner, 4: I am not sure will have to check.

mtbr member
    I live in Anthem which is right near New River/ Desert Hills. My parents live in new river on 5 acres and I grew up there. You will find plenty open land and trails are close, but not that much withing a 5-10 min bike ride. Plenty in 15 min car drive however. I work at 34th St and Washington just north of the airport. It is a long 38 mile one way drive. Takes me 35-40 min on the way in and 45-55 min on the way home. However leave for work early and get home early. 5am in the car and 3pm on the road home. Shift that to normal business hrs and it will turn into 1:15 each way easy.

Surprise is even farther that here since it is far west. Finding land area close to in us much harder especially at a lower cost.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    OP- you would like New River/Anthem. Also don't overlook much of North Phoenix-lots of homes with big yards. Buckeye has some real nice homes/neighborhoods that are ringed by blight and BS-and the schools are terrible. Maricopa has lots of new homes but is crappy to get to the airport in the morning and crappy headed home in the afternoon. Surprise is very nice, but the lack of GOOD freeway support is a problem for at least a couple years. You may also consider east metro Phoenix. It has some big lot homes, nice neighborhoods and good freeway support, although the traffic over there always seems worse to me.

I live in NW Phoenix/Glendale and am within 30 minutes drive of 100's of miles of great trail.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I live in NoPho (101/51) right now and my drive to the airport is 22 minutes via the 51....trails I ride to up here are....ok/boring....buff, wide track with no real variation (Sonoran Preserve). Drive to SoMo heavy chunk is 30min.

I used to live in Las Sendas (202/Power Rd) and my drive to the airport was 20 minutes....trails I rode to there were a lot better, more dynamic ST, beautiful desert (Hawes) and access to Pass Mountain for some light/medium chunk. My drive to SoMo for more techy rides was about 20 minutes.

I also lived in NoSko (101/Frank Lloyd Wright), the trails I could ride from my house were either up or down (McDowells)....but still fun on crapassmini chunk. Drive to SoMo heavy chunk was 30 minutes, drive to the airport was 25 minutes.

Pick your poison.
    Use more local abbreviations for the guy that isn't familiar with the area .. pls
    Last edited by asmolow; 10-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Meatbomb
    NoPho=North Phoenix
    SoMo = South Mountain
    NoSko= North Scottsdale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    ... Also don't overlook much of North Phoenix-lots of homes with big yards. ...
    There are some homes off Happy Valley road between 7th ave and 7th street. Older homes built on large land areas. Not a development, but bunch of homes built. Not sure if there are any for sale.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by asmolow View Post
    Use more local abbreviations for a guy that isn't familiar with the area .. pls
    101 = 101 Freeway
    51 = 51 Freeway
    101/51 = Intersection between 101 and the 51 (Those are freeways)
    airport = Sky Harbor International Airport (that's in phoenix, or PHX)
    ST = Singletrack
    Chunk = technical rocky riding
    heavy chunk = heavy technical rocky riding
    crapassminichunk = loose, cobbley technical riding (chollaball invented this term)
    cobbley = a fake word that combines cobble and wobbly
    McDowells = The McDowell Mountains, named after Irvin McDowell, one of the first of many failed Union Generals during the Civil war, cast out west to be Retired In Place (RIP).

Meatbomb
    FLW=Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by phillbo View Post
    flw=frank lloyd wright boulevard
    ftfy

mtbr member
    You will be looking at a 1+ hour drive with your price range and land requirements, if even possible in your price range. Maricopa or New River would be the best bet, unless you found some old/small home on a bit of horse property. But they are WAY out there, you will sit in traffic every day and metro Phoenix is very far. There is not much for biking IN Maricopa, New River has BCT and various other networks around.
    If you don't have kids that sounds like a pretty boring life, there are so many city parks/dog parks/trail networks that you don't need a huge backyard for your dogs, there are plenty big sized yards in any of the immediate Phoenix suburbs at your price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    NoPho=North Phoenix
    SoMo = South Mountain
    NoSko= North Scottsdale
    I don't know anyone who uses these abbreviations except for SoMo. People who use them usually just try and look cool. We aren't living in Manhattan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast