Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Moving to Flagstaff from Seattle

So I'm heading to Flagstaff at the end of the summer from Seattle, and I'm in the process of building a bike, wondering if anyone can help with some advice.

I'm building up a 6" trail bike as a do it all type bike, and wondering if I should keep it light for longer climbs or a little burlier for freeride. In seattle there are some freeride options around and I know I would be doing that, but I'm not sure on the FR scene in AZ.

Are there FR trails around Flagstaff? I'm not trying to do road gaps but if there are decent drops I'll build the bike a little stronger to be able to handle it.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Moving from Seattle? Ouch.
    Keep the bike you're building... you'll want to explore Flag. There are a lot of great AM/ FR trails perfect for a 6 incher. Plus if you don't have a shuttle handy then you'll have to pedal to your thrills...
    As for big stuff like road gaps, that stuff usually gets torn down pretty fast unfortunately. You can find some decent flowy jumps and drops but again nothing that a 6 incher can't handle... the extra 2 inches comes into play when you want more comfort IMHO.
    Once you ride with some locals, I'm sure you'll be finding some good stuff in no time... check out Flagstaff Gravity Riders

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by libtec View Post
    So I'm heading to Flagstaff at the end of the summer from Seattle
    DON'T DO IT! If it wasn't for the wife wanting to move, I'd still be in Seattle and loving it. The riding here does not even come close. Yes I'm in the Pit of Hades called Phoenix but I've ridden and camped in Flag many times. While the best riding in the state is Flag (IMO which doesn't mean squat), it still doesn't even come close to anything in the PNW.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB View Post
    DON'T DO IT! If it wasn't for the wife wanting to move, I'd still be in Seattle and loving it. The riding here does not even come close. Yes I'm in the Pit of Hades called Phoenix but I've ridden and camped in Flag many times. While the best riding in the state is Flag (IMO which doesn't mean squat), it still doesn't even come close to anything in the PNW.
    Hhmm, safe to say you're a bit biased?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Seattle to Flag is an awesome move. Seattle is cool, it has things we don't have here, but I wouldn't move back. Go Seahawks!
    a real Dirkbag!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Hhmm, safe to say you're a bit biased?
    Now what would ever give you that impression?

Lucky my rep points are above 8 or you wouldn't have even noticed me....
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    You're gonna need a lot of sunscreen and a good hat

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    You're gonna need a lot of sunscreen and a good hat
    Like this?

mtbr member
    A 6" squishy bike is overkill for most Flag riding with the exception of 3 or 4 downhill trails (ie., 5% of the trails). On the other hand, you'll like it in Sedona where the climbs are short. You really going to need two bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A 6" trail bike is perfect. There are TONS of trails that are built for that bike. Go to Absolute Bikes and try talking to Erik, Andy, or Noodles, if you don't come off as a ******, they should show you around. The only thing you'll miss is loam but you can lean over in moon dust just as well.

I went to school at NAU and have since moved to Seattle, I miss it greatly. Great people and great riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    A 6" squishy bike is overkill for most Flag riding with the exception of 3 or 4 downhill trails (ie., 5% of the trails). On the other hand, you'll like it in Sedona where the climbs are short. You really going to need two bikes
    Oh come on Rockman! There is actually six trails. This is probably still 5% though.

I really need a XC bike.

mtbr member
    Living in Sedona, I like my suspension set up a little on the firm side. Our climbs may be shorter, but they are a little more technical than what I've experienced in Flag...which isn't much. I don't like wasting energy compressing my suspension while pedaling. I'd much rather waste it smiling and laughing as I go down the hills.

If money were no issue, I'd have a 8" DH rig, 5-6" AM, and a 29er Hardtail for XC...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Flag is sweet! Get stoked! See ya on the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey thanks for all your responses. That's one thing I noticed when I visited, everyone is super friendly in flag. No more seattle ******s!

Anyway, I'm building up a devinci dixon with 5.7" rear travel, and I'm trying to decide between a 160mm Lyrik for a 66 HA or a 150mm Revelation for a 67 HA. So if there are some trails with 5-6ft drops and some jump lines around I think I'd be well served with the Lyrik.

I know I should have bigger problems than this in my life but oh well.

My other ride is your mom
    Hey thanks for all your responses. That's one thing I noticed when I visited, everyone is super friendly in flag. No more seattle ******s!
    Welcome to Flagstaff.....how does the line go...."If you're not an @$5hole in Flagstaff, how will you ever fit in....."?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Welcome to Flagstaff.....how does the line go...."If you're not an @$5hole in Flagstaff, how will you ever fit in....."?
    Really? That response seems out of character. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Last edited by rockman; 06-15-2011 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Maad is just pissed, something about points or powers or some ****, I don't know. I guess I don't care, whatever.

Let me clarify to the OP....I'm not calling you an A-hole...I think you'll like Flagstaff, but it's going to take some getting used to coming from Seattle. To rockman and raisingarizona.....nah....I'm not pissed....seriously, you guys have not seen that bumper sticker?

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that has that quote I put above. I can't remember where I saw it...maybe it was at PnT, perhaps it was on DC....anyways, that's what the bumper sticker said and I'm trying to remember where I saw it....was looking for you all to fill me in....I guess you don't know either. I'm just trying to figure out what it means too....????? They mystery continues I guess....

mtbr member
    May 2007

Anyway, I'm building up a devinci dixon with 5.7" rear travel, and I'm trying to decide between a 160mm Lyrik for a 66 HA or a 150mm Revelation for a 67 HA. So if there are some trails with 5-6ft drops and some jump lines around I think I'd be well served with the Lyrik.

I know I should have bigger problems than this in my life but oh well.

LibTec, you should also consider building up a singlespeed as your other bike if you are serious about fitting in here in Flagstaffrica. Is your Dixon a Medium? I can provide a SS for you to demo while I give the Dixon a spin, the split pivot design looks sweet on paper.Hardtail or full susser SS,your choice. Guessing you are a snowboarder based on your MTBR handle. Welcome to N. AZ. 2 Wheels Good.

mtbr member
    Ah sorry Maad, I misunderstood. Here ya go, courtesy of Elrancho66 who has the largest sticker and CD collection west of the swollen Mississippi and east of Seattle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to Flagstaff from Seattle-sticker.jpg  

Ah sorry Maad, I misunderstood. Here ya go, courtesy of Elrancho66 who has the largest sticker and CD collection west of the swollen Mississippi and east of Seattle.
    No worries...that's what I get when making a bad joke...with no context....I'm the @$$hole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66 View Post
    LibTec, you should also consider building up a singlespeed as your other bike if you are serious about fitting in here in Flagstaffrica. Is your Dixon a Medium? I can provide a SS for you to demo while I give the Dixon a spin, the split pivot design looks sweet on paper.Hardtail or full susser SS,your choice. Guessing you are a snowboarder based on your MTBR handle. Welcome to N. AZ. 2 Wheels Good.
    I've got a bike I could probably do ss thanks for the advice.

The dixon is a large but you're welcome to ride it. It will have a short stem on there, I'm about 6'1

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I think it actually goes Welcome to Flagstaff, unless you are an A$%HOLE from the valley. You just don't fit in...
    And what does this rep power mean anyway?
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Guess I fell for that one too...
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66 View Post
    LibTec, you should also consider building up a singlespeed as your other bike if you are serious about fitting in here in Flagstaffrica. 2 Wheels Good.
    You Flag guys are really into the single speed stuff! I'm not bashing, I'm just pissed that the last time I ran into some SS Flag guys they made me look like a 6 year old on a Wal Mart pos.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast