mtbr member

Mountain Lion Killed near Prescott

This just in.

Yet another troublesome mountain lion is in the Prescott area after a man is injured.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...on-killed.html

Discuss.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

dirt visionary
    My buddy Daniel came up on one in the pinals 3 weeks back . Scared the you know what out of him and the cat (luckily)

Isn't this like the 3rd in Prescott in the last couple years?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

banned
    They should be shot. They are a danger to humanity.

mtbr member
    Sacrifice a few people for the good of balancing nature. Our heard could definitely use some thinning....dee-dee-deee

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I travel to NW New Mexico area quite frequently in an area that has high mountain plateaus and is very remote. I tend to do more hiking than cycling out there just due to there not being any built trails yet. Over the last year alone I have been face to face with 2 mountain lions, one within 20 feet and the other within 60. I 100% of the time carry my firearm with me in remote areas like this. I did not kill either mountain lion, but did shoot at both. My .45 Smith and Wesson M&P45 does quite the nice job of scaring the hell out of them. I do side with berzerker on this one, nature balances itself without our help with the exception of humans (2012 muahaha). Good example of this is at onetime there were 5 different mountain lions on the property, then a big tom came through and killed most of them.
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "thinning the herd"-LOL! Why can't Mtn Lions hunt around the White House, Senate and Congress???????????? That would really help improve our herd...................Small cat, but I am sure lethal just the same! Have seen verified tracks in the past up here in P-town, they see us, we rarely see them I am sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    My buddy Daniel came up on one in the pinals 3 weeks back . Scared the you know what out of him and the cat (luckily)

Isn't this like the 3rd in Prescott in the last couple years?
    Seems like there's always a mountain lion is Prescott. (Maybe that's why Jayem is riding on Ben Williams mountain and recruiting a large group.)

I saw some fairly small lion tracks on the Black Canyon trail about a month and a half ago. Not as big as the ones Jeff S. photographed and posted here, though.

My wife, Cheri, just saw the interview on television with the man who was mauled -- he almost made it home and dove under his jeep -- the Lion clunked its head on the hitch (which he was hoping to unpin and use as a weapon.)

Now Cheri wants to know if there are mountain lions at Big Lake. Last summer when we were there we had a bear pad-footing around in our camp at night which was trapped the last day we were there. Some sloppy campers had habituated the bear to humans by leaving food around. Amazing how sneaky those bears can be -- at night I heard it taking slow, rhythmic steps chuff ... chuff ... chuff.

I think that the big difference between mountain lions and bears are that the bears want you're food but the lions want you for food.

I've watched a bear watch me eat my lunch (the bear didn't realize I'd seen it gliding across a hillside behind a rock and was peeking over the rock about a hundred yards away.) That was in Idaho long ago.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    "thinning the herd"-LOL! Why can't Mtn Lions hunt around the White House, Senate and Congress???????????? That would really help improve our herd...................
    Like seven years ago! Nice use of ???????????? and ................... BTW.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    Seems like there's always a mountain lion is Prescott..
    I hope so!

I saw a note on a Granite Basin trailhead today that said the "animals were exhibiting unusual behavior" and any strange activity should be reported to the FS. So far, no animals have called me up tonight asking to go out on the town, but I'll be sure to report if any cougers or other animals try to move in on me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

!@#$%&!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I hope so!

I saw a note on a Granite Basin trailhead today that said the "animals were exhibiting unusual behavior" and any strange activity should be reported to the FS. So far, no animals have called me up tonight asking to go out on the town, but I'll be sure to report if any cougers or other animals try to move in on me.
    Keep an eye out for Pumas too! (Cougars in training)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I hope so!

Read an article in an old National Geographic last night on mountain lions. Not sure what the unusual behavior angle is, but the article said mountain lions will eat other mountain lions when food gets scarce. They also will not over-populate an area that they live in.