Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Mormon @24th street: Ridable?

I've never been up or down the leg of Mormon between 24th and National. Is it rideable from 24th street up to Natty? I go to school on the west side and thought it could be fun to go up Mormon(24th street) /up National/down Geronimo, then back to the 24th street lot. If 24th is a total hike-a-bike, I might rethink my idea.

Thanks

powered by bacon
    It's not easy, but it's a fun ride up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is harder then National from the Mormon intersection to Buena Vista? I ride that often and think its fun.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I've never been up or down the leg of Mormon between 24th and National. Is it rideable from 24th street up to Natty? I go to school on the west side and thought it could be fun to go up Mormon(24th street) /up National/down Geronimo, then back to the 24th street lot. If 24th is a total hike-a-bike, I might rethink my idea.

Thanks
    Sure. Do you like climbing National from the bottom? If so, give 24th St a try, IMO it's tougher, more tech, bigger chunk, but fun. I HAB a few sections, but enjoy the challenge. I'm on a 29er HT and also enjoy the DH run on it as well, and yes I walk a few sections that way as well.

I'll try any trail once!! If you don't like it, then you'll know first hand.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

powered by bacon
    It is harder then National from the Mormon intersection to Buena Vista? I ride that often and think its fun.

It's like lower national, except more. If you like climbing natty, you'll probly enjoy it.

Give it a crank
    It's better to go up at the start of a ride than after 10 miles of SoMo pounding. You'll need some real grippy tires to go up 24th St. Going down it first to check it out could be a good idea too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is there an easier way up the west side of SoMo the 24th Street? I really just want to ride down Geronimo and don't care how I get to the top. I know I could shuttle, but my schedule makes that difficult. Plus I enjoy riding the ups.

Give it a crank
    The easiest would be off 46th St. up Javelina to Mormon.

EDR
    I more or less pushed my bike up 24th one day after riding up Natty and down Geronimo. By that time I was in a heat stroke induced semi-coma, had chills on my arms and was about to barf....so i really don't recall what it might be like on a good day. Hard is my guess, and I've ridden up Natty many times just for perspective.

Pivotal figure
    It's fun but only if you're in the right mindset. I ride it like it's a video game, more points for how far I can get without dabbing. It's pretty amazing just what you can clean when you refuse to give up. Not to say I've cleaned that entire trail, I always end up walking a few sections. That's what makes it fun for me, but I am kinda weird
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is there an easier way up the west side of SoMo the 24th Street? I really just want to ride down Geronimo and don't care how I get to the top. I know I could shuttle, but my schedule makes that difficult. Plus I enjoy riding the ups.
    I think up Ranger to National to Telegraph is easier, but longer. I usually do the road from Telegraph to BV and then down Geronimo.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    I think up Ranger to National to Telegraph is easier, but longer. I usually do the road from Telegraph to BV and then down Geronimo.
    Ya that ride from Tele up National to BV is not really very fun. Seems like every rock is pointed in the wrong direction and saps a ton of energy. I hate the road but in this case I prefer it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Exponentially. That said, depending on your mindset, it's quite a bit more fun than National. It's shorter and a real accomplishment to clean some of the obstacles. Of course, it's super-fun to come back down.

Shred...it's the new drug
    24th is quickest way to the goods on natty and mormon from the north side. 30 minutes top if you hike the whole thing. ride it you'll be faster Going down is awesome! one of my favorite trails...

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I more or less pushed my bike up 24th one day after riding up Natty and down Geronimo. By that time I was in a heat stroke induced semi-coma, had chills on my arms and was about to barf....so i really don't recall what it might be like on a good day. Hard is my guess, and I've ridden up Natty many times just for perspective.
    I have had the same experience doing this loop in July. Just did the above loop again a couple days ago with westeast and we ended up mainly HABing up 24th because we were so burnt out. I agree with everyone above that 24th would be a good first-climb-of-the-day as it is far chunkier and steeper than anything else on the northeast side of SOMO so unless your kenny, you'll find yourself HABing it too if you've already put in lots of mile when you hit the 24th climb on your loop. Better loop wound be Geronimo up to buena vista, down to the very bottom of natty, up mornon and down 24th..I do that one often and its totally ridable and you get to finished with 24th street gnar back to the tarmac.
    Keep the rubber side down

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    I have had the same experience doing this loop in July. .
    If it were July I would have died. This was on the first 95 degree day of the spring/summer. Apparently I had yet to 'acclimate', lol.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Better loop wound be Geronimo up to buena vista, down to the very bottom of natty, up mornon and down 24th..I do that one often and its totally ridable and you get to finished with 24th street gnar back to the tarmac.
    Interesting suggestion the climb up g-mo seems like it would be painful. How does climb compare to 24th?

Btw...i think the 24th climb is a lot of fun...albeit a nice little kick in the groin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's been my favorite loop lately. Park and up 24th, Natty to either Geronimo or Holbert and a short road ride back to 24th parking lot. Personally, I enjoy climbing 24th, it's tough and a little hike a bike is inevitable but has some great tech challenges. Go for it!

Pivotal figure
    I've climbed Geronimo twice and I'd rather climb 24th to be honest. The lower half of Geronimo is surprisingly rideable so I thought I had it licked. Then I got to the "wide open" portion up top where you can just pin it on the descent. That entire stretch up was a beatdown, much steeper than I thought it was and lot of loose stuff. It seems so easy when you're going downhill though

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    I've climbed Geronimo twice and I'd rather climb 24th to be honest. The lower half of Geronimo is surprisingly rideable so I thought I had it licked. Then I got to the "wide open" portion up top where you can just pin it on the descent. That entire stretch up was a beatdown, much steeper than I thought it was and lot of loose stuff. It seems so easy when you're going downhill though
    If you call it a beat down I guess I'll bring my hiking shoes...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a go this week.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a go this week.
    If you're willing to go as far as 24th street, then going in at 46th street, two blocks further and heading up Javelina to Mormon then natty, then Geronimo is nice because you get some warm-up before the tough climbing. Nowhere near as technical though. Just depends what you're looking for. Going in at 46th, up Jav/Mormon, then down 24th st is a nice quick kick in the pants too.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Tucson, AZ
    Geronimo is a tad bit more interesting to climb up. Harder too.

Give it a crank
    I wonder if anyone has ever tried riding up Holbert. I bet it could be done with a little HAB.

Pivotal figure
    I tried Holbert this year. Also much harder than I ever thought it would be. I couldn't believe just how big some of the ledges and holes are, they're tough on the DH but climbing was more like a full on trials section. And there were TONS of hikers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast