Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    drink coffee, ride.

more of the San Juans

Well, finally, got my chance to make it to Durango with bike in tow. 50th birthday celebration for a friend made the excuse, Labor Day Weekend made the time. Left Phx about 6:00, put us in Flag at Macy's for coffee about 8:00. Ate lunch along Hwy 160 north of Kayenta.

From 2010 Durango

Made it into Durango mid-afternoon and decided to hit up the Horse Gulch stuff. Nice set of trails close to town.

From 2010 Durango

Steamworks Brewery for some pizza and local brew.

Then, Saturday was the big day. Park at Coal Bank Pass, pedal up the road to Molas and do the Engineer Mountain section of the CT. It was a great day, even for a road ride.

From 2010 Durango

On to the CT and lunch.

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

That is quite the trail. The elevation took a little more out of us than expected. But the views were stellar.

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

Yes, that is the sun setting on Engineer Mountain, and those that have been there would recognize that Pass trail is still a ways off in the distance. Took us a little longer than expected

But, we hit Pass trail with it in the shadows, and wow, that trail is a hoot heading down. Got to the truck at dusk. Great ride, great friends.

My other ride is your mom
    "luckeeeeeeee".............

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice pics!! That area is beautiful no matter the season.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Molas Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    Well, finally, got my chance to make it to Durango with bike in tow. 50th birthday celebration for a friend made the excuse, Labor Day Weekend made the time. Left Phx about 6:00, put us in Flag at Macy's for coffee about 8:00. Ate lunch along Hwy 160 north of Kayenta.

From 2010 Durango

Made it into Durango mid-afternoon and decided to hit up the Horse Gulch stuff. Nice set of trails close to town.

From 2010 Durango

Then, Saturday was the big day. Park at Coal Bank Pass, pedal up the road to Molas and do the Engineer Mountain section of the CT. It was a great day, even for a road ride.

From 2010 Durango

On to the CT and lunch.

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

That is quite the trail. The elevation took a little more out of us than expected. But the views were stellar.

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

Yes, that is the sun setting on Engineer Mountain, and those that have been there would recognize that Pass trail is still a ways off in the distance. Took us a little longer than expected

But, we hit Pass trail with it in the shadows, and wow, that trail is a hoot heading down. Got to the truck at dusk. Great ride, great friends.
    Heading up this weekend to ride Molas/Cascade down via Engineer Mt. Trail.....same route as your adventure without the road section at the start. How long did the 20 mile loop take once the group headed up Molas?Trail conditions overall? Great photos,I plan to take a bunch myself Saturday.Thanx

mtbr member
    May 2007

Molas Saturday

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

On to the CT and lunch.

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

From 2010 Durango

Heading up this weekend to ride Molas/Cascade down via Engineer Mt. Trail.....same route as your adventure without the road section at the start. How long did the 20 mile loop take once the group headed up Molas?Trail conditions overall? Great photos,I plan to take a bunch myself Saturday.Thanx

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    We didn't do the Cascade section, we took Pass Creek Trail back to the vehicle, but our section was probably 5.5 hours without the lunch stop. Our fitness level could have been better, but was pretty good. None of us are racer types, lots of photo taking and conversation.

Trails were mostly dry, there were some muddy puddle sections up high and the laurel bush or whatever it was made some of the trails pretty narrow. There were are couple of pretty steep exposed sections that we walked. Everything was pretty well marked.

We stopped again at the intersection where the CT departs toward Rolling Pass. Another good lunch spot. We only saw 2 hikers and 2 bikers on the trip.

wheeeee!!!
    Total ride time was about 8.5 hours. The road section wasn't that bad. smooth tarmac and granny gear. We stopped for food and views and O2 a bunch.

wheeeee!!!
    here's a few shots stiched together from my iphone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more of the San Juans-wide.png  

more of the San Juans-tall.png  

mtbr member
    Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks for the Info and Photos!

Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Thanks for the clarification on the route and the additional photos. Weather looks good for the weekend. Phil's World Friday afternoon for a warm-up before Beer:30 in Mancos

Glutton for punishment

You still ride your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Hey I thought that was you in that pic, Eric. Good to see you're still out there riding!

wheeeee!!!

yep, I still ride

Can't seem to make it out the door for a lot of rides. Hope to make it more often. I miss riding with you guys.

Tucson, AZ
    Nice pictures!

parenting for gnarness
    ElRancho - how did it go? Heading up there next week, and planning a route that kinda combines what you and cookiedough did, just trying to figure out if Molas->Engineer->Cascase is feasible, esp. as a loop and not a shuttle? Guess we could always hitch... thank you.

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    ElRancho - how did it go? Heading up there next week, and planning a route that kinda combines what you and cookiedough did, just trying to figure out if Molas->Engineer->Cascase is feasible, esp. as a loop and not a shuttle? Guess we could always hitch... thank you.
    chollaball - If I look at that correctly, the Cascade Creek trailhead is at ~9,000, then up to Coal Bank at 10,700 +/- down to 10,000 at Lime Creek and back up to Molas at 10,900? The road doesn't have much shoulder and that (in my fitness level) is quite a bit to do before you start the "ride".

Maybe the Old Lime Creek road or a Cascade Trail up, to CT, and back on Eng Mtn Trail? Which is still oooph in my book.

BTW - the 6th photo in my list is the double black diamond section by Jura Knob (Lat 40 map) loose, rutted, steep, exposed, walked at the fatigue level we were running.

My other ride is your mom
    @cookie....what Cholla and I are thinkin of is pushing off from where 550 hairpins around a turn at the base of Cascade Creek just north of DMR (formerly Purgatory)....taking forest roads on the E side of 550 that roughly parallel 550 and head north......coming out on 550 yet again just 4 miles south of Molas....climbing 550 to Molas.....picking up the CT....riding that to to the SW.

That's where my decision point needs to be made.....how do I get back down to Cascade? The Highline trail descends from the high point of the CT in that area down a nose which I hear is HAB'y.....I could continue on to the SW on the CT past that intersection of the Highline to the NEXT intersection of the Highline where I've found some forest road to let me descend closer to the Cascade drainage....but I still find myself 1000vf short of that drainage where I'm pretty sure singletrack exists.

My crux is this....deal with the confirmed route I found on the interwebs on the eastern extension of the Highline trail which was described as "2 hours and 4 miles of HAB"....which I've done crap like that before (3-weeks ago....and it was worse) and know I can do again.....or continue to the SW on the CT and find/discover a way down to the Cascade via 1000vf descent picking my way down a steep slope like I've done before (10 days ago...and it was more vf)

Both options sound sucky to me.....I'm kind of done with that kind of suckiness for the past 30 days and am really hoping for beta that will connect me from the CT down to Cascade.

I can share a gpx of what I'm proposing if it helps......

drink coffee, ride.
    Ah, I see. The only beta I can offer is for the last 4 of 550 - nice climb ;o) not nearly as steep as Elden, and decent shoulder.

Sounds like you're taking Old Lime Creek road along 550, nice, and then heading the route we took but continuing on past Rolling Pass and looks like to Blackhawk Pass? That's gonna be quite the day, something my sick mind says "oh yes!" but my body isn't able to deliver on. I think Zul did something like that awhile back - but shuttled from DMR.

The laurel or whatever the scrub brush is that grows above timberline there is pretty thick - wouldn't want to HAB through it, that would be VERY sucky indeed.

Here's the intersection where we departed the CT and headed to Engineer Mtn Trail. Behind butocabra is the trail continuing on to Rolling Pass.

From 2010 Durango

mtbr member
    No sense starting another thread so I'll add to this one. El Rancho66, Philstrailgnome, and I left a car at the bottom of Cascade and shuttled to Molas Pass on Sat. Total elevation gain was 2650' and with the descent down Engineer Mountain trail the descending was 4700'. About 20 miles that took about 5 hours with one flat and no mechanicals. It was all rideable with the exception of a short 300' HAB on the Engineer trail. The downhill at the end is phenomenal. A sustained ride between 11,000 and 12,000' takes it's toll so it wouldn't seem that hard but it's not easy by any means. That said El Rancho did it on a ss speed so it couldn't have been that tough I wouldn't know since I was off the back.

This section of the Colorado Trail is pretty amazing, both for the views and the relatively easy access.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more of the San Juans-ct_1.jpg  

more of the San Juans-ct_2.jpg  

more of the San Juans-ct_3.jpg  

more of the San Juans-ct_4.jpg  

more of the San Juans-ct_5.jpg  

more of the San Juans-ct_6.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    @cookie....what Cholla and I are thinkin of is pushing off from where 550 hairpins around a turn at the base of Cascade Creek just north of DMR (formerly Purgatory)....taking forest roads on the E side of 550 that roughly parallel 550 and head north......coming out on 550 yet again just 4 miles south of Molas....climbing 550 to Molas.....picking up the CT....riding that to to the SW.

That's where my decision point needs to be made.....how do I get back down to Cascade? The Highline trail descends from the high point of the CT in that area down a nose which I hear is HAB'y.....I could continue on to the SW on the CT past that intersection of the Highline to the NEXT intersection of the Highline where I've found some forest road to let me descend closer to the Cascade drainage....but I still find myself 1000vf short of that drainage where I'm pretty sure singletrack exists.

My crux is this....deal with the confirmed route I found on the interwebs on the eastern extension of the Highline trail which was described as "2 hours and 4 miles of HAB"....which I've done crap like that before (3-weeks ago....and it was worse) and know I can do again.....or continue to the SW on the CT and find/discover a way down to the Cascade via 1000vf descent picking my way down a steep slope like I've done before (10 days ago...and it was more vf)

Both options sound sucky to me.....I'm kind of done with that kind of suckiness for the past 30 days and am really hoping for beta that will connect me from the CT down to Cascade.

I can share a gpx of what I'm proposing if it helps......

we're thinking Lime Creek road for 11 miles and 1800 vf, 4 miles and 1000 vf up Rt. 550 to Molas Pass, then the CT to Engineer Mt trail. Maad's route above missed Engineer Mtn turnoff of CT, so he's a bit off base above talking about Highline trail. I see where Pass Creek Trail splits off Engineer Mtn Tr, but not sure how to get to Cascade Trail. any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, thanks for the inspiration via your thread! I got forced into using my vacation balance during Q4, and this was the first thing that came to mind for a few days of fun.

drink coffee, ride.
    Ah, I was thinking you guys were like the frickin' terminator - although I did ride in the "back of the bus" group on the Quad 2 years ago.

Looks like on my Lat 40 map the Cascade Creek trail departs the CT close to Slickrock Ridge, past Rolling Pass. And that takes you down the Cascade Creek drainage right to the trailhead along with Engineer Mtn trail.

np - I titled this one more, based on your thread from Telluride -

@rockman - that HAB along Jura Knob was somethun' else, huh? Even with no fatigue, I don't think I would ride it, with the exposure the penalty for failure is pretty high. And I would agree, that Pass Trail down is quite the hoot!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    No sense starting another thread so I'll add to this one. El Rancho66, Philstrailgnome, and I left a car at the bottom of Cascade and shuttled to Molas Pass on Sat. Total elevation gain was 2650' and with the descent down Engineer Mountain trail the descending was 4700'. About 20 miles that took about 5 hours with one flat and no mechanicals. It was all rideable with the exception of a short 300' HAB on the Engineer trail. The downhill at the end is phenomenal. A sustained ride between 11,000 and 12,000' takes it's toll so it wouldn't seem that hard but it's not easy by any means. That said El Rancho did it on a ss speed so it couldn't have been that tough I wouldn't know since I was off the back.

This section of the Colorado Trail is pretty amazing, both for the views and the relatively easy access.
    looks like you guys had perfect weather!

can you assist with beta on where to pick up the trail down to Cascade, i've been all over the intertubez today without much luck on this? or if you have a gpx etc you could share that would be awesome. thank you.

mtbr member
    @rockman - that HAB along Jura Knob was somethun' else, huh? Even with no fatigue, I don't think I would ride it, with the exposure the penalty for failure is pretty high. And I would agree, that Pass Trail down is quite the hoot!
    I'm not sure what you're referring to but I cleaned the downhill which was eroded and techy but not too bad. I dabbed on a hard right on a switchback. We didn't go down Pass Trail but went past that and continued on to the bottom of Cascade via Engineer Mtn trail. I have climbed Pass, however, and that's a big bang for the buck but it did take a long time to hitch hike back up to get the car. Awesome area and it's gonna be real sweet as the aspens turn.

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I'm not sure what you're referring to but I cleaned the downhill which was eroded and techy but not too bad. I dabbed on a hard right on a switchback. We didn't go down Pass Trail but went past that and continued on to the bottom of Cascade via Engineer Mtn trail. I have climbed Pass, however, and that's a big bang for the buck but it did take a long time to hitch hike back up to get the car. Awesome area and it's gonna be real sweet as the aspens turn.
    I was thinking of the switchbacks just past photo #6 of mine - the photo has Jura Knob to the left, then the trail heads through the bushes to the lower right. Off of that side were some steep switches that looked out over a waterfall/stream down aways. But then I may have been thinking of my wife paying the mortgage all alone at that point as well...

Was still a great ride. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    chollaball - If you are coming from lowlands in AZ, the climb out Lime Cr and up Molas will be quite stout!! I live up here and ride this stuff all the time and still use Hermosa Tours for shuttles to Molas!! Any riding on the CT at that elevation will sap a lot of energy so I would recommend you take the shuttle option!
    As for once on the trail, it is 11.5 miles on the CT from Molas to the Engineer Mountain Trail junction. It is a T intersection, with the CT continuing to the right and climbing up to Rolling Pass (about .75 mile further). Engineer Mtn Trail goes out past Jura Knob, over a saddle on east side of Engineer and drops down to the trailhead by the hairpin at Cascade Creek. There are a couple of trails that turn off at times, but if you stay straight on at each junction you will not get off the line.
    Total ride length is about 20 miles and it will take about 5 hours, depending on lunch/photo stops and fitness. Absolute highlight ride for our area!!

mtbr member
    May 2007

My 2.5 cents on the Coloarado Trail ride

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Chollaball, since Rockman and Phil'sTrailGnome provided the details and specifics with fotos, I'll give you my brief ride report; The weather was purrfect, low 60's, very little wind and solar storms all day long The 32X19 on the Kona A worked out fine for most of the climbs with the exception of a few uber steep sections. The Kona comes in just under 26 lbs without waterbottles but the extra weight is worth the tradeoff when the trails point down and the full suspension takes over Views from the trail of the mountain ranges and valleys are world class.Ditto for the final 5 mile descent thru the aspens and wide open high speed traverses across the meadows......one of the finest descents ever and well worth the effort Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast