Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dirt visionary

A moment of silence for a local fellow rider

Very sad indeed............................................ ................. I can only imagine the cause

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...ident-7-6-2011
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Meatbomb
    sad

mtbr member
    thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Pivotal figure
    Damn...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

My other ride is your mom
    Wow.....just got up here....that's going to put a weird vibe on the ride tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Never ridden this trail. Is it super fast with exposure? I think we are riding there this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sucks to hear this! I will keep friends and family in my thoughts and prayers....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thats the best thing I have heard today.He died doing what he enjoyed,I hope I am as lucky.
    Really thats better than sitting on the couch wishing he could ride shultz.

"No Clue Crew"
    OH MAN!!! Sad, very sad!

jddist
    May 2008
    Hope I can ride all that stuff at his age!

It rains here. :(
    Very sad news...
    07 GF Rig

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    Hope I can ride all that stuff at his age!
    No doubt, that is great that at his age he was still shredding! Thoughts and prayers to family for sure.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Our sport can be dangerous, and it hits home hard when something like this happens to a fellow rider! This year the guy out in "Cave Creek, and 2yrs ago a guy on Hawes"! I'm 60yrs old, and my riding buddy is 65, we have a standing rule, either one of us seizes up, "no mouth to mouth", chest pumps are ok! Not to make light of the situation, but there are far worse ways of going", doing what he loved! His family are in our thoughts!

mtbr member
    Sad news.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    It is definitely sad and a real eye opener. I hope I die in a similar fashion rather than succumb to cancer like so many others near and dear to me...
    Check my pulse...

banned
    Jun 2011
    the glide

slowly we glide through life at times
    we gain speed, then we brake
    we go fast then take a break

we see the world swooshing by all a blur
    yet each so crisp like a snapshot in time

and for but a brief moment we are free as the wind and fly like birds dancing through the day
    and once again we are children at play.

God speed, bright days and smooth single track to you, and blessings to your family from your friends and fellow riders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A moment of silence for a local fellow rider-mountain-biker-sunset.jpg  

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thank you all for the kind words, it really does help! If you would like to know more about the situation I typed up a long, cathartic "story" of sorts below. Have been debating posting it, but here I go..........thanks again everyone, the mountain bike community, no matter how split we may seem at times over trivial matters, comes through in the hard times.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE, for your thoughts and well wishes. Jim was my father-in-law and will be greatly missed by all those who got to know him here in Flagstaff. He leaves a giant void in our family. He moved here from Michigan 14 months ago to be close to his grandkids and enjoy the mountains and sunshine. Jim Spent his youth in Chelsea, Michigan, served in Army Cav. In Vietnam, retired from Ford plant after 20+ years, started his own handyman business, then officially “retired” in 2009. I got Jim out on the trails during his many visits on a borrowed $400 hardtail (which he thought was awesome btw) and when he finally moved here for good I found him a Giant full suspension with 5 inch fork and discs, and then he REALLY loved riding. He and I hiked most all the trails in Flag and then we would ride them. Jim was introduced to a loop behind our house on Forces of Nature, and he rode it with vigor, geeking out on his bike computer and data. He quit smoking, was sober for 20+ years, started eating right, I gave him my old road bike to set up on my old trainer and he would pedal away during the winter and bouts of insomnia. Recently I took him up dogfood to the new AZ trail and he loved it. He especially loved the downhill, always had a grin from ear to ear and said it made him feel like a kid again. This also brought back memories of his moto days back in the ‘70’s. He went to all my races, whether it was mtb, cross or road. He met all my riding buddies, went to the shops, scoured the mags, talked gear, but most of all loved following behind me while I pulled my daughter on the tagalong on the trails in Flag, and my daughter loved nothing more than “racing” Grandpa Jim. Just last week we have a picture of her, dusty faced from “riding” 18 inches off my wheel, and Jim thought that was the coolest thing. My wife and I are pretty much in shock and disbelief right now. I am the “family member” that was mentioned in the paper. We spent 3 hrs hiking with my daughter down Elden Springs to Little Bear checking out the forest after the fire of 2010. Hiked back, enjoyed the water at the tank, watched the kiddo chuck rocks and then he geared up to enjoy the mostly downhill ride on the AZ/Oncelor trail, dogfood, Schultz and ride back to our house on the Eastside. We watched him ride off on the ribbon of moist singletrack with his usual enthusiasm, then drove back home getting stoked on the rain. I could not wait to hear what he thought of the new section of AZ trail he just rode, as he was ALWAYS psyched to regale me in the details of every inch of trail. Instead I got the cryptic phone call from his cell phone, and our lives have changed dramatically. I felt terrible knowing that I was his connection to the bike, but have somewhat rationalized the accident, and am going to forever miss “Grandpa Jim.” Thanks again for all your kind words and wishes, and he would have loved to be referred to as a “local mountain biker!” Be safe out there, especially in the sections you take for granted, as this happened on the connector from Schultz to Lookout Rd. where the jumps are, in the wide open, flat meadow!!

dirt visionary
    wOW thanks for the information there were alot of us wondering what happend. He was in my thoughts today on our 20.8 mile ride which at the end brought us down shultz. I even spent sometime jumping the jumps as I still had alittle bit of energy from the excitement of finally finishing our huge grind today. I don''t think I will ever beable to ride shutlz without thinking of Jim.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is so sad. Thanks jps for the background.

What a lucky man.. to have the strength and guts to ride trails at his age.. what a man!! How lucky were you to have him.

Definitely too young to go... but for those of us who have a deep love of this sport, there is something very romantic and beautiful about going that way. I bet he had a thrilling, happy and fulfilling last few hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow. Thanks for telling the story and sorry for your loss. Go take a solo ride on his favorite trail.

mtbr member
    JPS, I'm so sorry for your's and your family's loss. The usual "he went out doing what he loved" always ring hollow but nonetheless he was punching a fun card. There's no easy way to grieve. My best. Joe.

banned
    jps:

Thanks for sharing about grandpa Jim, only being two years younger than him, I again got a reminder that life can end sooner than one would hope, and that each day we can get out and enjoy a fun ride we are very fortunate. Time is running out hopefully later than sooner, but there are no guarantees.

TD

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. I recently lost my father very suddenly. It's hard, but glad you have such fond memories of him and the sport he loved. It's these memories that will stay with you and your family.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Thank you for sharing that story. I have been thinking about that "local mountain biker" and it is now very nice to know his name is Jim and some of his story.

I hope you can take some solace in the fact that you helped him enjoy these 14 months by providing him with an activity you could both share, and one which he very clearly loved. More important than that, time with his grand children, his children, his legacy. I cannot think of a more precious gift.

I am sorry for your loss.

mtbr member
    JPS- from the sounds of it, you should not feel terrbile about being his connection to the bike. It seems to me you were the connection to him living life to its fullest. Think about how many retirees break down and die with only shuffleboard, bad potlucks at the community center and weekly trips to the doctor being the only different "terrain" they get. You saved Grandpa Jim from that and gave him a connection with not only his son, but his grandkids. Lots of seniors don't even have that. Kudos to you, Kudos to Jim. He lived well.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast