Thread: Moab suggesions

mtbr member

Moab suggesions

Going to ride Moab this month, and I have never been there, looking for suggestions for a moderate to extreme ride with good views, 1/2 day

I have done a bit of research, so I have a pretty good idea, but was looking for personal views
    I was told there would be Cake

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I would contact one of the local bike shops to shuttle the Whole Enchilada. About 25 miles of riding with 7,000 ft descent. Spectacular views and you travel through 4 ecosystems.

Shuttle is about 25 bucks and it takes a little over an hour to get to the top of the mountain. You start around 11,000 feet and drop to 4,000.

Plan for around 4-6 hours for the ride. It's in the top 3 rides on my list, the other two are the Flume trail in Tahoe, and riding downhill on an active volcano in Chile.

I've used Uranium Bicycles the past 2 times up there, and I will use them again the next time I go.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

EDR

Re: Moab suggesions

Burro down is a fantastic option, and probably the number one option to meet all your criteria. Certainly one of the best rides I have ever done in my life. Another option if you want to peddle up would be amasa back. Great views and some fun options on the way down. Slick Rock Trail sucks in my opinion.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Slickrock is pretty boring. Second on Amasa back with various options down along with of course enchilada. Head up to Fruita/Grand Junction for a day too if you have the time.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

EDR

Just to be clear, the whole enchilada is not a half day ride. Yes it may only take you several hours to get down but in the end its an all day event, especially if you're shuttling from the bottom.

At least it is for us. Heck, even when we camp up near Hazard at Warner Lake at 9000 feet in the La Sal's it's still pretty much in all day event. But we usually ride from Warner Lake up and over Burro pass. If you start from Hazard and omit Burro pass you can shave quite a bit of time off the day.

Want views?
    Amasa Back:

More Amassa Back photo ImportedPhotos00018-1.jpg

Amassa Back photo ImportedPhotos00027-1.jpg

photo ImportedPhotos00022copy.jpg

Portal:

Ted/Ben Portal - Moab photo tttt2.jpg

Bartlett Wash:

Bartlett Wash-Dolly Parton photo z5.jpg
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-01-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Pivotal figure
    Not quite the same views but another fun route is the Mag7/BarM trail network. More on the moderate side as far as skill level but still a cool route. My 1st choice would be Rim, Amasa 2nd (esp. with the addition of the new Captain Ahab Trail!)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just got back last night Ken, I rode the Mag 7 with the Portal on day 1 and for day 2 we rode the Amesa Back figure 8 ride. I would go for the Amesa figure 8 ride. The new Ahab trail is so rad and the Jackson trail even though a little more old school equally as awesome. The new trails at the top of the Mag 7 are super rad too but for more quality over all out quantity do the Amesa ride.

The best trails on the Enchilada are still to high up for good riding, skip that one for now.

Trust me, Amesa 8, you will be stoked.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, I really want to do the Mag7/Portal ride this time out but it may be too ambitious since we are def doing Rim and Amasa...

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I.

The best trails on the Enchilada are still to high up for good riding, skip that one for now.

Trust me, Amesa 8, you will be stoked.
    Are you sure about the best trails being closed? He's going in a month. At any rate I think the best trails up there start at hazard. Kokopeli is fast and an OK ride but in my opinion the very best of the best up there is upper porcupine rim. Certainly that will be open. Burro pass is likely a no go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Are you sure about the best trails being closed? He's going in a month. At any rate I think the best trails up there start at hazard. Kokopeli is fast and an OK ride but in my opinion the very best of the best up there is upper porcupine rim. Certainly that will be open. Burro pass is likely a no go.
    A month from now it's probably good. I wouldn't do the ride without Hazard and starting from Burro Pass just makes it that much sweeter. UPS is probably my favorite part also and my least favorite would be the old Porcupine jeep trail, I think next time I will bail before that part. All of those square edges hurt my bike! It's kind of funny that we used to go to Moab to ride that and the slickrock trail!

EDR

A month from now it's probably good. I wouldn't do the ride without Hazard and starting from Burro Pass just makes it that much sweeter. UPS is probably my favorite part also and my least favorite would be the old Porcupine jeep trail, I think next time I will bail before that part. All of those square edges hurt my bike! It's kind of funny that we used to go to Moab to ride that and the slickrock trail!
    You know what's funny is that even though I've ridden lower Porcupine many times now I still really enjoy it. Each time I go back I find more square edged ledges and stuff to launch off of. But if I was riding a hardtail I wouldn't enjoy it too much.

dirt visionary
    I was planning on going up there in two weeks sounds like I should wait a bit so I can ride more?Never been but its been calling .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I was planning on going up there in two weeks sounds like I should wait a bit so I can ride more?Never been but its been calling .
    This time of year is perfect for much of Moab riding. The tricky part if you want to ride the whole enchilada is timing it so the upper trails are clear of snow and mud and it's not too hot in Moab proper. The last time we rode the whole enchilada I believe we did it in early September. The upper trails including Burro pass were perfect and it wasn't too hot once we dropped down to the river.

Bottom line is I think if you want to ride in Moab, now would be a very good time. If you want to ride Burro Down then the end of summer is probably a better time.

dirt visionary
    thx for the info
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the inside information, this is just what I was hoping for, I think Amasa Back will be my first ride. with who knows after that, but what ever I do it will be great cant wait to get there.
    I was told there would be Cake

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiutahaz View Post
    thanks for all the inside information, this is just what I was hoping for, I think Amasa Back will be my first ride. with who knows after that, but what ever I do it will be great cant wait to get there.
    Good choice! The 8 goes up Amesa then down Ahab, back up Amesa and down Jacksons. The climbs are fun and you get two wicked descents.

Pivotal figure
    Burro Pass is definitely a hard one to time properly. It took us 5 trips to finally get to ride it and even that trip was a close one (the next morning a storm came in and there was snow down to Hazard). Not an issue if you don't mind riding in heat very similar to Phoenix (lower Rim will be HOT in summer!)...

I love bike!
    FYI...even tho a shuttle will take you all the way to the 'top' for THE you still have a climb/HAB up @ 1000 more feet to get to burro. If your in good shape and ride a few times a week prob not an issue but for the weekend warrior it was about enough to make me quit before even getting to the fun. This is climbing @ 10k feet to 11k. Talk about a wake up call. There is quite a bit of climbing in general even tho overall descent is like 7k ft. I liked burro minus the initial climb but if I had to chose again I'd just start at hazard and go all the way to the river. Just my $0.02.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    FYI...even tho a shuttle will take you all the way to the 'top' for THE you still have a climb/HAB up @ 1000 more feet to get to burro. If your in good shape and ride a few times a week prob not an issue but for the weekend warrior it was about enough to make me quit before even getting to the fun. This is climbing @ 10k feet to 11k. Talk about a wake up call. There is quite a bit of climbing in general even tho overall descent is like 7k ft. I liked burro minus the initial climb but if I had to chose again I'd just start at hazard and go all the way to the river. Just my $0.02.
    Come on now! It's not that bad and the upper single track rips!

It ain't the Whole Enchilada if it ain't the WHOLE Enchilada!

Honestly tho I would rather just go now when temps are cool enough to enjoy the lower elevations and just ride the Amesa 8!

EDR

Last time we were out there we camped at Warner lake, got up in the morning with the intention to ride to burrow pass and down and back to Warner Lake and down the rest of the whole enchilada. By the time we made the circle up and around burro pass and back down to our campground we were spent! Completely exhausted and done for the day. In fact I think we all took a nap for about an hour and a half. Next time we go I don't think we will be doing that again. Probably just skip burro all together. But still I'm glad we did it at least once. Like you said its not the whole enchilada unless you do the whole enchilada. After leaving Phoenix at 1300 feet and arriving at Warner lake10 hours later at 9000 feet that ride from the campground the next morning up and over the pass and back down is just brutal. Shuttling to the pass wouldn't be nearly as bad, but still it's quite an effort.

I love bike!
    Come on now! It's not that bad and the upper single track rips!

It ain't the Whole Enchilada if it ain't the WHOLE Enchilada!

Honestly tho I would rather just go now when temps are cool enough to enjoy the lower elevations and just ride the Amesa 8!
    That was by far the most demanding ride I'd ever been on...so yes...it was that bad. Would never change anything and go back and undo it because it was totally worth it. Just would never do it again...well...maybe

NedwannaB
    Flume Tr top 3?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Flume Tr top 3?
    This thread has great timing. Heading to Moab in a few weeks and was looking for the same tips. THANKS!

Flume is badass, and makes my top 10 ten at least, BTW.