Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

MOAB labor day weekend! who will be there?

Me and couple of friends are planning on heading to MOAB for labor day weekend to get a couple of days of riding in. the plan is to be there saturday morning and ride as much as we can until monday . instead of getting a hotel, we decided to try and save cash and just camp out if possible.

Anyone else planning on being up north for this weekend?it would be nice to get a group together and meet/ride with new people -- we will be riding intermediateISH trails as one of our riders has very limited biking time logged in,... . although we have taken him on BCT, down bill williams mountain , and on the entire T100 trail... all without incident

still planning out the camping spots and trails to ride -- IM EXCITED -- it will be the first time for all of us to ride up there
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meatbomb
    I'll be close .... on Lake Powell.

mtbr member
    First time I went to Moab was over Labor Day. FYI, it likely will be very warm, so be prepared. We should have kown when we got to PorcRim trail head, and there was not a car in sight. I think we saw maybe 5 riders in total. Ran out of water about 2 miles from the end, which made the spring water on the ride back into town nice.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    First time I went to Moab was over Labor Day. FYI, it likely will be very warm, so be prepared. We should have kown when we got to PorcRim trail head, and there was not a car in sight. I think we saw maybe 5 riders in total. Ran out of water about 2 miles from the end, which made the spring water on the ride back into town nice.
    Good advice CO, I think the spring maybe capped off now, but I think the drain runs under the road and in an emergency you could drink the water coming out the other side of the road.

At one point in my Moab days I thought of building a really cool spring water public shower area out of rock on the river side of the road where the excess spring water would drain into the Colorado.

A lot of campers love to take a nice shower after a ride and I thought that would be a nice place to rinse off after a hot ride.
    Last edited by traildoc; 08-22-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Good advice CO, I think the spring maybe capped off now, but I think the drain runs under the road and in an emergency you could drink the water coming out the other side of the road.

At one point in my Moab days I thought of building a really cool spring water public shower area out of rock on the river side of the road where the excess sring water would drain into the Colorado.

A lot of campers love to take a nice shower after a ride and I thought that would be a nice place to rinse off after a hot ride.
    I once contracted giardia after drinking from the Matrimony spring in Moab. But I think that was just a fluke so I've drank from it since with no ill effects. A shower would have been lovely!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    contracting a flatworm would be a fluke, giardia is just a protozoa...
    (sorry,,, first attempt at microbe humor)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post

Yes i believe it is going to hover around 90-95 degrees , still cooler than the valley ( not by much ) ... the first item on the checklist for this trip is "lots of water"

sounds like its too hot for most people still so this is good for our camping situation -- my friend has been doing some research and where we want to camp is somewhat limited , so it sounds like we may have a chance to get the spot that we want
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I've camped there a few times on labor day on the way back from Colorado. Sand Flats CG is usually empty. Easy access to the Slickrock Trail and the sunset views from up on the nearby rocks cannot be beat. Get up early to ride and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    This is our rough schedule of planned rides

Saturday: Amasa Back, lunch at camp, slickrock.
    Sunday: Porcupine Rim shuttle, lunch at Moab brewery Relax? Maybe Bartlett Wash.
    Monday: Poison Spider Mesa and/or Portal Trail then drive home

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    contracting a flatworm would be a fluke, giardia is just a protozoa...
    (sorry,,, first attempt at microbe humor)
    I'd call it a successful first attempt!

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by zblee View Post
    This is our rough schedule of planned rides

Saturday: Amasa Back, lunch at camp, slickrock.
    Sunday: Porcupine Rim shuttle, lunch at Moab brewery Relax? Maybe Bartlett Wash.
    Monday: Poison Spider Mesa and/or Portal Trail then drive home
    I think you will find lots of deep sand on Poison Spider. Mag 7 to Gold Bar to Portal is a killer ride.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    looks like poison is only shuttling to the whole enchilada on sunday , so we doing the whole enchilada!!

just watched an amazing video and got me super stoked!

The Whole Enchilada: Top to Bottom - Moab, Utah on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    I think you will find lots of deep sand on Poison Spider. Mag 7 to Gold Bar to Portal is a killer ride.
    deep sand? because the storms?

if this is the case we will probably avoid it

EDR
    For free camping we've stayed right at Bartlett Wash, it's a little drive to the trails but no biggie. We also stopped at the gas station on the way to town to shower. For arouind $50 a night you can get a cabin with 4 beds and free showers right in town at Canyonlands Campground (or tent camp there). no great views to speak of but the beer store is a 30 second walk Split 4 ways it's pretty darn cheap and gives you a indoor place to stash the bikes if you decide to go do something else for a while.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    deep sand? because the storms?

if this is the case we will probably avoid it
    Poison Spider always has lots of sand that you have to walk through. Seems like the deeper you get into hot weather the worse it gets. You can't beat The Whole Enchilada.You get some of everything that Moab has to offer. Good choice.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'm here now. I rode Porcupine Rim Friday (not the Whole Enchilada), had my wife shuttle me up at 8am. The first time I've ridden it, and I had it all to myself, didn't see another person the whole way. The climb sucked but after that pure fun. I rode just about everything even though I haven't done much tech riding for a while. The coolest spot was near the bottom a section, sort of a right handed switch back in a canyon that was a bit like the waterfall on National. I'll be doing it again monday, good times for sure. I was never hot until the road ride back to camp, we are camp on the south end of town, so it was a 9 mile road ride on my 34lb Yeti, 25 miles total.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    I'm here now. I rode Porcupine Rim Friday (not the Whole Enchilada), had my wife shuttle me up at 8am. The first time I've ridden it, and I had it all to myself, didn't see another person the whole way. The climb sucked but after that pure fun. I rode just about everything even though I haven't done much tech riding for a while. The coolest spot was near the bottom a section, sort of a right handed switch back in a canyon that was a bit like the waterfall on National. I'll be doing it again monday, good times for sure. I was never hot until the road ride back to camp, we are camp on the south end of town, so it was a 9 mile road ride on my 34lb Yeti, 25 miles total.
    Dude! You gotta get your wife to shuttle you higher. Go to Hazard, you're having a great time on porc but missing much of the fun. Heck, if you had to you could bail our on Sands Flat road or whatever it's called bypassing porc. UPS and LPS and Hazard is a blast. Not too techie....just pure nummy-ness....! I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Kokopelli maybe???

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Dude! You gotta get your wife to shuttle you higher. Go to Hazard, you're having a great time on porc but missing much of the fun. Heck, if you had to you could bail our on Sands Flat road or whatever it's called bypassing porc. UPS and LPS and Hazard is a blast. Not too techie....just pure nummy-ness....! I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Kokopelli maybe???
    Thanks EDR, I'm getting ready to go on a Jeep run right now, but I'll stop by Chilly Pepper bike this afternoon and ask about those trails.

Ridin bikes is fun
    EDR, look at this link. Is this the ride you suggesting? It looks cool to me.Moab - Hazard, Kokopelli, UPS/LPS, Porcupine Rim, Road by strider1959 at Garmin Connect - Details

EDR
    EDR, look at this link. Is this the ride you suggesting? It looks cool to me.Moab - Hazard, Kokopelli, UPS/LPS, Porcupine Rim, Road by strider1959 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Yes, absolutely!...It's all part of The Whole Enchilada (Burro Down) minus Burro Pass.

I was up there 2 septembers ago and Burro Pass (start of T.H.E) was in great shape, no snow and no mud to speak of. If it's open up there you could start at the Pass (+11K feet ) riding down to Hazard and continuing on that Garmin route. Riding all the way down to the river would be fun but like I said, you could bail out early since you've already done Porcupine Rim down to save time if needed. It's 28 miles of fun.

If nothing else the route in the GPS would hit all the best stuff. You really should try and add this since you are already right there. You won't regret it UPS is probably my favorite part for some reason.

here's the "whole" deal> The Whole Enchilada - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail
    I think you have to sign up to download gps tracks but it's free.

-a good write up> I Ate The Whole Enchilada in Moab | Mountain Bike Blog || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Ridin bikes is fun
    It's on, I'll be at the Hazard trail head at 8ish. Can't wait, I'll let you know how it goes.

EDR
    It's on, I'll be at the Hazard trail head at 8ish. Can't wait, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Trip report???

Pics???

mtbr member
    MOAB was amazing! wish we were there longer...

We ended up riding amasa back trail on saturday, whole enchilada on sunday and messing around at bartlett wash on monday before driving back to phoenix .

I am sorting through pics and video and hopefully can get some posted in a timely manner!

EDR

I am sorting through pics and video
    Bartlett Wash always makes for some pretty good picures. post 'em up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Bartlett Wash always makes for some pretty good picures. post 'em up!
    unfortunately we did not get a lot of pics/video from bartlett -- my battery died not too much later after we started riding and i forgot to put my extra batteries in my camelback .... i was pissed but still had fun riding around

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast