mtbr member

MMP Trail Maintenance

A volunteer trail maintenance work day at McDowell Mountain Park is scheduled for Saturday October 26th at the Competitive Loops.

We will be meeting near the restrooms at the comp loop parking lot at 7:30 am and working until about noon. This event is organized by MBAA and volunteer points for the 2014 season will be available. The planned work will be repairing some trail erosion and improving drainage.

If you plan on attending to help with either the comp loop trail maintenance or the pump track work, you are not required to pay the park entry fee. This only applies to work days that are planned and approved through the park supervisor. Do make sure that you sign in for the work day so that the park can track volunteer hours.

Future trail maintenance dates will be announced in the near future and will include family camping Friday and/or Saturday night. These future events will be planned for McDowell, White Tank and Estrella; and will be scheduled one to three weeks prior to the MBAA race at that venue. The idea is to make these trail maintenance events a family friendly environment where you can camp, complete trail maintenance, pre-ride the course prior to the race and take some time to socialize with other MTBr's and their families.

In addition to the trail work, there will be a few work days planned for the pump track at McDowell. GROAZ will be organizing those events and posting the dates and times.
    Last edited by AZ_AlanS; 10-11-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Pivotal figure
    We (GROAZ) will also be out on Oct 26th (same time frame) to do some maintenance on the jumps and pumptrack. Come out and have some fun in the dirt!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I hope I don't sound like too much of a cheapskate, but are we required to pay the park entrance fee if we are coming to volunteer on the work crew?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    A volunteer trail maintenance work day at McDowell Mountain Park is scheduled for Saturday October 26th at the Competitive Loops.

We will be meeting near the restrooms at the comp loop parking lot at 7:30 am and working until about noon. This event is organized by MBAA and volunteer points for the 2014 season will be available. The planned work will be repairing some trail erosion and improving drainage.

Future trail maintenance dates will be announced in the near future and will include family camping Friday and/or Saturday night. These future events will be planned for McDowell, White Tank and Estrella; and will be scheduled one to three weeks prior to the MBAA race at that venue. The idea is to make these trail maintenance events a family friendly environment where you can camp, complete trail maintenance, pre-ride the course prior to the race and take some time to socialize with other MTBr's and their families.

In addition to the trail work, there will be a few work days planned for the pump track at McDowell. GROAZ will be organizing those events and posting the dates and times.

mtbr member
    I can help with the Comp Loops on the 26th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I hope I don't sound like too much of a cheapskate, but are we required to pay the park entrance fee if we are coming to volunteer on the work crew?
    Legit question, I will check with the park supervisor and add that info when they respond.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    Legit question, I will check with the park supervisor and add that info when they respond.
    In the past for GROAZ events we have not. I have once been asked to pay by a volunteer at the gate - they had no idea about the workday or GROAZ so I got a feeling they were not informed of our event, politely explained that we have not paid in the past, and when they shook their head I pointed to where I was going in view of the gate and invited them to send a ranger over to discuss with me -- did not happen.

mtbr member
    I have confirmed that volunteers for the approved work sessions are not required to pay the park entry fee. Do make sure that you sign in for the work day so that the park can track volunteer hours.

mtbr member
    Reminder - trail maintenance on the competitive track and pump track at McDowell Mountain Park is this Saturday.

Pivotal figure
    That's TOMORROW if you're reading this today. Or Today if you're reading it on Sat. Or you totally missed it if you read this on Sun....

My other ride is your mom
    Tomorrow never happens, man!

Pivotal figure
    Mind. Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Tomorrow never happens, man!

mtbr member
    Huge thanks to all of the volunteers that came out on Saturday. We had 13 volunteers plus 2 from MMP working on the Comp loop, and GROAZ had several out working on the pump track. Really appreciate all of the thanks and words of encouragement from those riding by; well except for the ass that yelled out "COMING THROUGH" as though we were jacking his Strava KOM or something. Guess we should have checked in with him prior to scheduling trail maintenance, didn't realize we were going to be an inconvenience to him.

And, a special thank you to Global Bikes for providing shade, luch and beverages after the trail work for all the volunteers.

Pivotal figure
    My arms are still sore from chipping out that trench for drainage on the pumptrack. I'll be out for some more work in a couple of weeks, gonna wait until the 12 Hours of Fury is done and some other commitments are cleared up, then it's time for some more dirt sculpting!