Thread: Mmp Ss?

CrazyEye

Mmp Ss?

I think I'm taking the Monocog to MMP on Sunday. I've never been there before, so which would be better, the Competive loops or Pemberton? I'm meeting some newbie buddies of mine with gears, so the least amount of flats the better, so can smokemon the SS

Not a Barry supporter.
    I find Pemberton extremely boring. I really like the MMP tracks and usually we ride all of 'em. We'll ride the sport loop, then the other loop (forget the name) and then the big loop. What time are you heading out there? I've been wanting to take the SS out there lately and not sure If I'll do it Sat or Sunday.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

CrazyEye
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I find Pemberton extremely boring. I really like the MMP tracks and usually we ride all of 'em. We'll ride the sport loop, then the other loop (forget the name) and then the big loop. What time are you heading out there? I've been wanting to take the SS out there lately and not sure If I'll do it Sat or Sunday.
    The Tracks it is then. Early afternoon, not exactly sure on the time yet. I'll keep you posted.

EXORCIZE
    Yeah, Pemberton is pretty boring. I plan to go there once I get my SS just for solo workouts (there's a very long mild climb). A geared bike can almost be fun there if you can run mass speed, but not really. Worth doing once for a survey of the surroundings, but that's about it. Its a nice area, but that attracts family's with small children hiding around corners. Best on a weekday for that reason.

Speed loop is not technical, but always fun. Long loop has no especially memorable parts, but its a pretty good ride that keeps your focus. Both tracks are unidirectional, which I LOVE, and I think a SS would be a great choice for either trail.
    ride natty ride

im4Gsus
    "Pemberton is extremely boring..."

I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!
    for advanced riders, (those into national and goat camp) maybe. but for beginners and intermediate xc riders it's great fun.

i usually go ccw because the back side, where the single track is, is slightly dH that way. the trail is fast, twisty, up and down fun. however, the 6.7 miles getting there are pretty uneventful thru the desert floor.

going cw you climb to the rocky mesa first which i find a boring, hard grind. then the back side is mostly uH from there till the end of the single track. then you go down the 6.7 miles to the parking lot. i find that boring and unrewarding.

bluffs/granite is a fast dH 3.5 miles back to pemberton, if the riders cannot do the whole 16 miles.

the scenic loop, off of pemberton, is also good. imo, best done cw.

my 2, thank you!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    "Pemberton is extremely boring..."

I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!
    for advanced riders, (those into national and goat camp) maybe. but for beginners and intermediate xc riders it's great fun.

i usually go ccw...
    Pemberton is good for beginners, especially if they can roll with 15+ miles. After all, you don't want to be the guy who takes newbies to a trail they can't handle and watch one of them get hurt (I took a girl on her first trail and she wrecked and went into shock...). Since Pemberton is worth doing at least once, there's no reason not to start with it. Then move up to the intermediate trails: Long loop, Desert Classic, Pima Canyon, and trail 100.

Counter clockwise is DEFINITELY the way to go.

But intermediate riders having great fun on Pemberton? Hmmmm...
    ride natty ride

Members who have read this thread: 0