mtbr member

Mini Cooper bike rack? Advice

Anyone here have a mini cooper with a roof rack for their bikes? I'm looking for pros and cons of any racks that cooper owners might have. Thanks

mtbr member

aka Diesel
    I have a mini too *high fives* and the only solution I have found is taking off the front wheel and seat, and then cramming that Stumpy into the back, seats folded down. I'm all but spooning the front wheel as I travel to and from my destinations, but it works. Because of the double exhaust pipes, I just can't seem to figure out if a hitch would work. I saw somebody with one the other day, but I don't think it was the S works. I will be watching and waiting (that almost sounds creepy) to see if you figure out a solution.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I have seen a trailer hitch for the Mini Cooper, but not the Cooper S. My recomendation would be to go with the hitch route if you don't have the S model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I personally have installed a Yakima roof rack on one about two years ago. Not sure if they have changed the car that much since then, so you could probably go that route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    Thanks for the advice but it redirected me to www.ggnarlsnotfunny.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    I have seen a trailer hitch for the Mini Cooper, but not the Cooper S. My recomendation would be to go with the hitch route if you don't have the S model.
    I highly recommend this. It doesn't scream "hey, look at me, I'm a mountain biker!" like a roof-rack, but apart from that it's far more practical IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

You have numerous options.

Yakima makes roof racks that will fit. You will have around $500 invested to put 2 bikes on top of the car. Downside to roof racks, is they kill gas mileage on a small car at freeway speeds. The faster the speeds driven, the more they kill mileage. If you are mostly doing trips across town to ride it won't be as much of a factor as doing 80 on the freeway. My civic had a roof rack on it, and I get 33mpg but with 2 bikes on the rack and a bunch of camping gear doing 80mph, and the mileage drops to 22mpg.

On our Honda Element, we run a receiver hitch mount. Loaded with 2 people, 2 bikes, 2 dogs, camping gear etc, doing 80mph, we got 25mpg.

You can get a receiver hitch for $140 from thehitchstore.com You can get a 2 bike carrier from Performance for $149. I got mine while they had one of their sales they frequently have, and got it for $119. So you could get set up this way for around $260-$290. I like this rack, it installs in less than a minute, and the bikes go on super quick and easy without removing wheels. Also, some of the other more expensive racks that lock onto the tire to hold, are more prone to the bike coming out if the tire goes flat. My friend nearly lost a bike out of a Yakima rack like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I 2nd the recomendation for a hitch mount as it will also do double duty of blocking your plate from photo radar........
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I 2nd the recomendation for a hitch mount as it will also do double duty of blocking your plate from photo radar........
    Thats the best advice yet!!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxer
    Thats the best advice yet!!
    Hell yeah!
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Hairshirt Rider
    there are a few mini threads on car and biker forum

this might help

Mini Cooper S Hitch?