dirt visionary

Mingus mt road construction updates?

Hey locals where are they at with the repaving of the road up the mountain?

Last time up on a week day . I had to wait at the bottom 45 min before getting up. Once I was going up the pickup for 28th was full of asphalt and equipment. Went to Jerome to kill time and came back a few hours later around 4pm and there was still a 45 min wait to go back down . Absolutly no way to mak e that work .

Anyways whats the week day word? Are they past the top turn off yet?

TIA
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Curious about the extent of this... is it the whole road? Just the Prescott side? Just the Cottonwood/Jerome side? Thanks for any info...I wanted to do this as a road ride later this month.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey
    ...I wanted to do this as a road ride later this month.
    Wow, this would be an awesome road ride, but one of the most dangerous ones too that I could think of. First off there's definitely no bike lanes, the road is narrow to begin with, there's a ton of blind curves, and of course people drive it like it's a race course. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just making sure you're aware. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    http://www.azdot.gov/Highways/Projec...ainingWall.asp

ADOT has resumed work on the Jerome Retaining Wall after delays due to the condition of the bedrock that could not have been known prior to excavating for the new wall. These conditions delayed the construction schedule as designers worked to quickly redesign the project based on the bedrock conditions. Crews are currently working to install the wall. The project is scheduled for completion in approximately one month.

While SR 89A will remain open throughout the duration of the project, the roadway is restricted 24 hours a day just south of Jerome on the way to Prescott. A temporary traffic signal allows traffic to move through the restricted area in alternating directions. Retaining wall work is scheduled between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and between 7 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Friday. Motorists should expect delays of up to 30 minutes during work hours and a delay of 5-10 minutes during non-work hours. Travel between Clarkdale and Jerome will not be restricted. Commuter traffic that travels between Prescott Valley and the Verde Valley along this section of SR 89A may elect to take an alternate route using SR 169, I-17, and SR 260.

dirt visionary
    Jeff I seen that and of course read that and called before posting.

Also if you had read my post it was 5pm and there was still a 45min wait so that above post has no bearing on what really happens up there. But this was on the west side of the mountain not on the east side where the retaining wall work is being done.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey
    Curious about the extent of this... is it the whole road? Just the Prescott side? Just the Cottonwood/Jerome side? Thanks for any info...I wanted to do this as a road ride later this month.
    Only work being performed was on the prescott side. there are some corners about 3 miles east of the top that will also be fixed but most of it down to cottonwood is fine. however I would pick the slowest day for traffic as others mentioned no bike lane, scary fast,lots of blind corners and really IMO not safe or sane to do .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Also if you had read my post it was 5pm and there was still a 45min wait so that above post has no bearing on what really happens up there.
    Retaining wall work is scheduled between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

dirt visionary
    I was up there on a friday. However the reataining wall work is past the top and doesn't affect shuttling 28th. What does is the repaving of both lanes from the bottom past the top turn off to the campgrounds

It's a slugfest!

Top of Mingus from Cottonwood side....

... however I would pick the slowest day for traffic as others mentioned no bike lane, scary fast,lots of blind corners and really IMO not safe or sane to do .
    I certainly wouldn't recommend this to others as a road ride....

That said, it is the most fun I've ever had on my road bike and try and do this ride at least once every 2 years. I get up early, early, to do this ride. The pain that it takes to get to the top is akin to a toothache pain that feels kinda good but really bad at the same time. I found the traffic to grind uphill at a slower rate...at least the dozen or so cars that passed me...

You can fly down the twisty-turny road back to Cottonwood ....most of the time close to the speed limit. I normally only see 3 or 4 cars going my direction on the way down.

I do not recommend this ride to anyone. Only stupid people should consider this ride.

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Huffy Rider
    I live in Clarkdale and came over 89A on Mon. night. The repaving is done for now. The only other project is near the bottom of the Prescott side where they are fixing the first real tight turn.

dirt visionary
    Thank you very much that was the info I was lookig for .

mtbr member
    That'll work for me as well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    But this was on the west side of the mountain not on the east side where the retaining wall work is being done.
    "While SR 89A will remain open throughout the duration of the project, the roadway is restricted 24 hours a day just south of Jerome on the way to Prescott."

Prescott is southwest of Jerome. .

dirt visionary
    Dude have you been up there? It did not say south of jerome to prescott? did it ?

It said JUST south of jerome. Which indeed there is some work just south of jerome but that is a long distance from the top of mingus bud a long distance.

dirt visionary
    None of that HAS ANYTHING to do with the REPAVING on the WEST side of the mountain. Give it up .

mtbr member
    Clockwork are you talking to me?

Motochick said: "I live in Clarkdale and came over 89A on Mon. night. The repaving is done for now. The only other project is near the bottom of the Prescott side where they are fixing the first real tight turn."

I don't care at all about the Prescott side.
    I was riding in from Sedona and it sounds like I can at least ride to Jerome and back.
    If I can't go on up to the top of Mingus, I'm okay with that for now.

dirt visionary
    nope not at all. We already know from her its for the most part done.

jeff thinks otherwise I guess.

Huffy Rider
    You can ride to the top from both sides, you just will have to deal w/the construction on the Prescott side. The paving is done and beautiful. They are done with what they had scheduled.

mtbr member
    Clock - Gotcha. Didn't catch that above.

Moto - thanks again for the info!~

mtbr member
    Dang wish I still had my street bike. Fresh pavement and twisty roads is a dirty dream.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    jeff thinks otherwise I guess.
    No. But ADOT does. You asked. I told you. You got painfully hurt in the buttocks. End of story.

Sorry I could be of help.

Jeff