Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    No Clue Crew

Mingus Mountain 8-27-11

Is 6 weeks enough notice get a big gang to assault Mingus Mountain?

Mr, the Mrs, and handful of friends are gonna be "camping" in the Playground Group Campground on Mingus Mountain the weekend of 8-27 this year. There's no way I'm going up there without riding, even if it's by myself, so I'm inviting anyone who wants to get some action to come up and join me for some riding Saturday the 27th.

I know absolutely nothing about the area except that it's near 7500' elevation so it's gotta be loads cooler than the valley but I've seen posts here and there about shredding Mingus up so it's gotta be some good riding. I'll start researching the trails even though I'm sure many of you will be able to post your own trips, pics, videos, and maps. If we can get enough people maybe we can even do some redneck shuttling?

So, post up if you're interested and if you know the trails and have maps or GPS logs let's see them as well!

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that this is just an invitation to come up and ride that Saturday. I'm not in charge of the campsite reservations and don't wanna make it look to the friend that is arranging this as though I'm bringing a bunch of people they don't know to their camp. You would be more than welcome to hang out with us and ride with me Sat. (I doubt anyone else in this group will be riding) but you'll have to provide your own transportation to and from as well as have your own sleeping accommodations if you plan on staying Friday or Saturday night.

Again, anyone is welcome but don't plan on jumping in and camping with our group. If it were my party you'd be welcome... but it's not.
    Last edited by big0mike; 07-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Put me down as tentative. Sounds like it would be a fun trip!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsxj View Post
    Put me down as tentative. Sounds like it would be a fun trip!
    Cool James... I edited the original post so please read that edit section. You'll need to provide your own transportation and, if you plan to stay either night, your own sleeping arrangements. If you just wanna come up and ride Sat. afternoon you are more than welcome, as is anyone. I wasn't clear enough and didn't want anyone thinking it was an invite to join my friend's group to camp two nights with us.

Hopefully, you and a few others can make it. Otherwise I'll be posting another "look at me" video after we get back... I prefer if it's a "look at us" video

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tenative as well
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I was planning on the day trip anyways. Depending how many other people post up I could bring a few up with me. Armada holds 7 and I have access to a small trailer to put the bikes in.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Tenative as well
    Damn... bringing those Prescott legs to make me look silly again? Guess I'd better get out more often than once a week? (I keep telling myself that.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcsxj View Post
    Yeah I was planning on the day trip anyways. Depending how many other people post up I could bring a few up with me. Armada holds 7 and I have access to a small trailer to put the bikes in.
    Sweet! That oughta help entice a few people

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Damn... bringing those Prescott legs to make me look silly again? Guess I'd better get out more often than once a week? (I keep telling myself that.)

Sweet! That oughta help entice a few people
    Meh, I don't get to ride all that much. I just make up for it by stupidly running up and down mountains.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Meh, I don't get to ride all that much. I just make up for it by stupidly running up and down mountains.
    Well, whatever you are doing it's working. Plus, you're used to the extra altitude. Prescott is around 5000'. The top of Mingus is 7500' so you are lots closer to altitude than us here at 1000'.

No Clue Crew

Cross posted from Flagstaff and Prescott AZ mini Roadtrip Vid

Quote Originally Posted by hoosker in a PM
    Some beta on mingus if you have not already got it; If you take the 28/111/533 route it is all downhill from the start to the end of 533. At that point you can climb back via the hwy, 28, or 533. 533 is the most climb friendly as it is not as technical as 28. Either way it is a bear of a climb. Gaddes canyon trail would be a good choice to as long as it's not covered in deadfall, and it is not that bad of a climb back.
    This run in the above video is looking like a possibility. If James brings the truck & trailer I'm sure I can talk the Mrs into the driving so we can all ride. Looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is the only weekend this fall I'll be out of town for sure. Wish I could make this but business calls. I'm sure I'll hook up with all of you after the summer(hopefully get some wind back in my lungs and a new bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hell yeah mike! Looks like a good time.

No Clue Crew
    BUMP... couple weekends away...

Huffy Rider
    I live on Mingus and have never ridden it, I might try to make it up there. Let ya know for sure as it gets closer.

Brenda

skilldest©
    Can't make it but will harrass you for ride video and pics!

No Clue Crew
    All right... the weekend is winding down and you all must be starting to think about next weekend? Mingus is here and I'll ride by myself but after rewatching that video again I'm stoked all over to hit that sh|t. Hopefully, you are as well.

Post up if you'll be able to make it. Route will be dependent on how many people can make it and what we have to carry the bikes.

Huffy Rider
    What time and where to meet? I am hopeful to have my truck put back together before Sat, otherwise I may have to bum a ride from the Cottonwood side. How many runs?

Brenda

No Clue Crew
    The turnoff to the southwest right before the Group Campground about 2 miles in on Forest Road 104. Probably meet there between 8 & 9a.

We'll shuttle or pedal until we are toast. Keep in mind we may not have a shuttle vehicle so we may be bombing down and then riding back up...
    Last edited by big0mike; 08-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Weird. My post didn't appear. I was asking the same thing about planned start time. I am driving from Phoenix - maybe a two hour drive - and my full size truck can haul a bunch of bikes.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Weird. My post didn't appear. I was asking the same thing about planned start time. I am driving from Phoenix - maybe a two hour drive - and my full size truck can haul a bunch of bikes.
    What time u leaving and when u planning on heading back?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Not sure just yet. Probably leave no later than 7a if we're riding at 9.

PM coming your way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Hell yeah drew, you gotta go. Just think of all the trouble we can all get ourselves into up there. It's going to be good times for sure!

mtbr member
    Mike, if I have my new fork by then, I might make this. It was supposed to ship out today so I should have it. Hopefully it works out. I'd love to shuttle Mingus.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Mike, if I have my new fork by then, I might make this.
    If my pretty blue rockers get here in time...
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    There appears to be a big clearing right by the Group Campground about 2 miles in on Forest Road 104. Probably meet there between 8 & 9a.

We'll shuttle or pedal until we are toast. Keep in mind we may not have a shuttle vehicle so we may be bombing down and then riding back up...
    Yo BigO, that spot you have pointed out is the methodist church campground and home sites = private property. A better spot is right before that which is the turn off to 28th st TH going south. Just FYI
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    If my pretty blue rockers get here in time...
    What? Now you putting blue rockers on your ride?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast