Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Clue Crew

Mingus Mountain 8-27-11

Is 6 weeks enough notice get a big gang to assault Mingus Mountain?

Mr, the Mrs, and handful of friends are gonna be "camping" in the Playground Group Campground on Mingus Mountain the weekend of 8-27 this year. There's no way I'm going up there without riding, even if it's by myself, so I'm inviting anyone who wants to get some action to come up and join me for some riding Saturday the 27th.

I know absolutely nothing about the area except that it's near 7500' elevation so it's gotta be loads cooler than the valley but I've seen posts here and there about shredding Mingus up so it's gotta be some good riding. I'll start researching the trails even though I'm sure many of you will be able to post your own trips, pics, videos, and maps. If we can get enough people maybe we can even do some redneck shuttling?

So, post up if you're interested and if you know the trails and have maps or GPS logs let's see them as well!

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that this is just an invitation to come up and ride that Saturday. I'm not in charge of the campsite reservations and don't wanna make it look to the friend that is arranging this as though I'm bringing a bunch of people they don't know to their camp. You would be more than welcome to hang out with us and ride with me Sat. (I doubt anyone else in this group will be riding) but you'll have to provide your own transportation to and from as well as have your own sleeping accommodations if you plan on staying Friday or Saturday night.

Again, anyone is welcome but don't plan on jumping in and camping with our group. If it were my party you'd be welcome... but it's not.
    Last edited by big0mike; 07-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Put me down as tentative. Sounds like it would be a fun trip!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsxj View Post
    Put me down as tentative. Sounds like it would be a fun trip!
    Cool James... I edited the original post so please read that edit section. You'll need to provide your own transportation and, if you plan to stay either night, your own sleeping arrangements. If you just wanna come up and ride Sat. afternoon you are more than welcome, as is anyone. I wasn't clear enough and didn't want anyone thinking it was an invite to join my friend's group to camp two nights with us.

Hopefully, you and a few others can make it. Otherwise I'll be posting another "look at me" video after we get back... I prefer if it's a "look at us" video

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tenative as well
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I was planning on the day trip anyways. Depending how many other people post up I could bring a few up with me. Armada holds 7 and I have access to a small trailer to put the bikes in.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Tenative as well
    Damn... bringing those Prescott legs to make me look silly again? Guess I'd better get out more often than once a week? (I keep telling myself that.)

Yeah I was planning on the day trip anyways. Depending how many other people post up I could bring a few up with me. Armada holds 7 and I have access to a small trailer to put the bikes in.
    Sweet! That oughta help entice a few people

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Damn... bringing those Prescott legs to make me look silly again? Guess I'd better get out more often than once a week? (I keep telling myself that.)

Sweet! That oughta help entice a few people
    Meh, I don't get to ride all that much. I just make up for it by stupidly running up and down mountains.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Meh, I don't get to ride all that much. I just make up for it by stupidly running up and down mountains.
    Well, whatever you are doing it's working. Plus, you're used to the extra altitude. Prescott is around 5000'. The top of Mingus is 7500' so you are lots closer to altitude than us here at 1000'.

No Clue Crew

Cross posted from Flagstaff and Prescott AZ mini Roadtrip Vid

Quote Originally Posted by hoosker in a PM
    Some beta on mingus if you have not already got it; If you take the 28/111/533 route it is all downhill from the start to the end of 533. At that point you can climb back via the hwy, 28, or 533. 533 is the most climb friendly as it is not as technical as 28. Either way it is a bear of a climb. Gaddes canyon trail would be a good choice to as long as it's not covered in deadfall, and it is not that bad of a climb back.
    This run in the above video is looking like a possibility. If James brings the truck & trailer I'm sure I can talk the Mrs into the driving so we can all ride. Looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is the only weekend this fall I'll be out of town for sure. Wish I could make this but business calls. I'm sure I'll hook up with all of you after the summer(hopefully get some wind back in my lungs and a new bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hell yeah mike! Looks like a good time.

No Clue Crew
    BUMP... couple weekends away...

Huffy Rider
    I live on Mingus and have never ridden it, I might try to make it up there. Let ya know for sure as it gets closer.

Brenda

skilldest©
    Can't make it but will harrass you for ride video and pics!

No Clue Crew
    All right... the weekend is winding down and you all must be starting to think about next weekend? Mingus is here and I'll ride by myself but after rewatching that video again I'm stoked all over to hit that sh|t. Hopefully, you are as well.

Post up if you'll be able to make it. Route will be dependent on how many people can make it and what we have to carry the bikes.

Huffy Rider
    What time and where to meet? I am hopeful to have my truck put back together before Sat, otherwise I may have to bum a ride from the Cottonwood side. How many runs?

Brenda

No Clue Crew
    The turnoff to the southwest right before the Group Campground about 2 miles in on Forest Road 104. Probably meet there between 8 & 9a.

We'll shuttle or pedal until we are toast. Keep in mind we may not have a shuttle vehicle so we may be bombing down and then riding back up...
    Last edited by big0mike; 08-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Weird. My post didn't appear. I was asking the same thing about planned start time. I am driving from Phoenix - maybe a two hour drive - and my full size truck can haul a bunch of bikes.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Weird. My post didn't appear. I was asking the same thing about planned start time. I am driving from Phoenix - maybe a two hour drive - and my full size truck can haul a bunch of bikes.
    What time u leaving and when u planning on heading back?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Not sure just yet. Probably leave no later than 7a if we're riding at 9.

PM coming your way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Hell yeah drew, you gotta go. Just think of all the trouble we can all get ourselves into up there. It's going to be good times for sure!

mtbr member
    Mike, if I have my new fork by then, I might make this. It was supposed to ship out today so I should have it. Hopefully it works out. I'd love to shuttle Mingus.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Mike, if I have my new fork by then, I might make this.
    If my pretty blue rockers get here in time...
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    There appears to be a big clearing right by the Group Campground about 2 miles in on Forest Road 104. Probably meet there between 8 & 9a.

We'll shuttle or pedal until we are toast. Keep in mind we may not have a shuttle vehicle so we may be bombing down and then riding back up...
    Yo BigO, that spot you have pointed out is the methodist church campground and home sites = private property. A better spot is right before that which is the turn off to 28th st TH going south. Just FYI
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    If my pretty blue rockers get here in time...
    What? Now you putting blue rockers on your ride?

No Clue Crew
    So far:

Tentative:
    Jayem
    jcsxj
    motochick
    Grave9
    dunerinaz

For sure:
    big0mike
    DesertCrawler

Cenobuns expressed an interest in Flag but haven't heard anything since..

Are you a for sure, James? You're last post sounded like a yes but haven't specifically heard a yes or no. Gonna have the people wagon & trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Yo BigO, that spot you have pointed out is the methodist church campground and home sites = private property. A better spot is right before that which is the turn off to 28th st TH going south. Just FYI
    Oooh. Good to know. Can't tell squat from the Google overview. Updated post coming...

mtbr member

Oooh. Good to know. Can't tell squat from the Google overview. Updated post coming...
    My bad, yes if you go south to the 110TH on 9004N like your map shows you should be good. Have fun.
    SHITBIRD

Elitest thrill junkie
    Idk if ill make it, it depends on how the rest of the week goes.

"No Clue Crew"
    I'll know today if I'm a go..............Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm a go, but I won't have the people wagon. I'm planning on bumming a ride with Barry. Worst case scenerio I'll take the Elantra as it gets good gas mileage.

No Clue Crew
    I'm a go, but I won't have the people wagon. I'm planning on bumming a ride with Barry. Worst case scenerio I'll take the Elantra as it gets good gas mileage.
    Cool. Sounds like we may be either pedaling everything or shuttling with Barry's truck if he's OK with that. I would feel terrible if we did any damage to his bodywork or paint

Huffy Rider
    I have a question for those of you who have ridden Mingus....I am used to riding clipless, should I stick to what I am used to or is it hairy enough for flats?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I have a question for those of you who have ridden Mingus....I am used to riding clipless, should I stick to what I am used to or is it hairy enough for flats?
    I ride SPDs for everything. Did the Flag DH two weekends ago on them as well as the Wed SoMo shuttles.. If you are used to clipless stick with 'em. But, if you wanna run flats and are comfortable, knock yourself out.

mtbr member
    You should stick to what you know. Clips work on all of it. The only trail where you might have a problem is right at the start of the drop into 28th st. Lots of chunk on that section.
    SHITBIRD

Huffy Rider
    Thanks, I will stick with the SPD's, if my truck isn't still in a million little pieces, I will come and give it a go.

"No Clue Crew"
    I have to work on Saturday, you guys have fun !

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Cool. Sounds like we may be either pedaling everything or shuttling with Barry's truck if he's OK with that. I would feel terrible if we did any damage to his bodywork or paint
    Using my truck to shuttle is fine. I have nothing resembling a tailgate pad and am rather unconcerned about paint transfer. If anyone is concerned about their bike, it would be advsied to bring a makeshift pad of some sort.

Do we have a shuttle driver (or two depending on volume of people I suppose) or will we be taking turns?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Using my truck to shuttle is fine. I have nothing resembling a tailgate pad and am rather unconcerned about paint transfer. If anyone is concerned about their bike, it would be advsied to bring a makeshift pad of some sort.

Do we have a shuttle driver (or two depending on volume of people I suppose) or will we be taking turns?

I think Mike was going to have his wife shuttle for us. How wide is your tailgate? I have a nice chunk of left over carpet and could cut a piece off if needed.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    It's a full size box so I guess that makes it 4' wide. Don't ruin good carpet if you have a use for it. I might be able to scrounge something up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll cut a piece off for it. The carpet has been sitting rolled up in the garage since I finished a small remodel project (about two years ago.....). I've tried to throw it away at least five times now, but my wife keeps saying "no don't throw it away, what if we need a piece later". Well just so happens she was right, I do need a piece....it's just not for the house

No Clue Crew
    I think Mike was going to have his wife shuttle for us.
    I'll ask her but don't know if she'll be receptive to the idea of me bringing all MY friends up and riding bikes on OUR trip with OUR friends... if you know what I mean.

We can always take turns. I'm not positive but I don't think it's quite as much work getting from the top to the bottom for either the rider or vehicle so I think we'll be able to get plenty of runs in

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll ask her but don't know if she'll be receptive to the idea of me bringing all MY friends up and riding bikes on OUR trip with OUR friends... if you know what I mean.

We can always take turns. I'm not positive but I don't think it's quite as much work getting from the top to the bottom for either the rider or vehicle so I think we'll be able to get plenty of runs in
    True.
    Yeah we can take turns or depending how many cars we have and how long the drive up / down the mountain is we could leave one vehicle at the bottom, shuttle up, bomb down, two take off in the vehicle left at the bottom to retrieve the one at the top and then head back down to start the trip over again. Any idea how long the drive is to the top? Either way fun will be had!

No Clue Crew
    Yeah we can take turns or depending how many cars we have and how long the drive up / down the mountain is we could leave one vehicle at the bottom, shuttle up, bomb down, two take off in the vehicle left at the bottom to retrieve the one at the top and then head back down to start the trip over again. Any idea how long the drive is to the top? Either way fun will be had!
    Looks like its about six miles from the bottom of the trail to the start of the trail.

mtbr member
    I'm out. Just got word I won't have my fork in time

DAM
    Did you see that?
    If there is room for one more, I'm in! I have a moving mat that i made into a tailgate cover for shuttling.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM View Post
    If there is room for one more, I'm in! I have a moving mat that i made into a tailgate cover for shuttling.
    So far:

Tentative:
    Jayem
    motochick
    Grave9

For sure:
    big0mike
    DesertCrawler
    jcsxj
    So far it's just 3 of us. Drew? You in? Didn't see a yay or nay...

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I can haul one other person comfortably from here to Mingus and that seat is taken at the moment. Three adults is doable I suppose but it'd be cozy.

I can take many bikes, probably at least six (6) and we can certainly accommodate several people and bikes in my truck for shuttle purposes once we're there. If someone wants to take a carload of people, James and I can haul some bikes in my truck, Just an option with some logistics to sort out before leaving the valley.

I have a 16' tandem axle car hauler too, but there's no good way of securing bikes at the moment, and to fabricate something would take time I don't really have...but think of the number of bikes you could haul!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Barry, might join u guys for a few runs if I don't go to Flag. I need to get redemption on that mtn for breaking my leg.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Huffy Rider
    We are just starting to tear my truck apart, wish us luck!! This heat just may kill us.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Barry, might join u guys for a few runs if I don't go to Flag. I need to get redemption on that mtn for breaking my leg.
    Cool. I think it would be great to have someone with us that knows the trails.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    We are just starting to tear my truck apart, wish us luck!! This heat just may kill us.
    Ugh. I hope you're at least inside or can get some shade over your work area.

I spent Sunday afternoon and part of Monday morning replacing pretty much the whole front end (Pitman arm, idler arm and bracket, tie rod ends and adjusters) and two hours last night replacing all the shocks. Temperatures were around 110° F in the valley, and all this on the concrete of my non-covered driveway. I literally have burns on my back from the heat radiating off the concrete. It was hot! Sunday and Monday I popped up an EZ Up style awning which really helped, but ambient temps were still pretty nasty.

Uhh...let's see...beats frost bite?

Huffy Rider
    Thanks for the EZ up hint....I forgot we had one. Shade for now, plus this wonderful cloud cover is keeping it bearable. A dip in the pool every 15 min is nice too. The turbo is off which is the hardest part. I am now relegated to master tire installer. FUN!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Cool. I think it would be great to have someone with us that knows the trails.
    Umm... he broke his leg last time up there He either doesn't know the trails or is more prone to wrecking than me

Plus, what's the worst that can happen?

Looking forward to more people

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Umm... he broke his leg last time up there He either doesn't know the trails or is more prone to wrecking than me

That was my first and only wreck up there. Trail gave way and tucked my leg under.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Yeah, I saw that thread after I originally posted up as tentative......I was like uh, maybe I should re-think this! Then I was like F-IT.....It will still be fun!!!

No Clue Crew
    Anyone know the temps up there? I can get Prescott temps easy but the mountain is quite a bit higher so don't know where to look for temps. Not worried about the days, wondering about the nights we'll be camping.

No Clue Crew
    Do we wanna meet where 104 meets 413 or southwest of there where 413 has that little turn where trail 28 starts?

DAM is in and will have another truck plus knows the routes so if dog doesn't show we'll have another to make sure we don't get lost

Huffy Rider
    There is a weather station down and west from the camping area at 6120ft, it says 65 degrees is the forecast for that station. Sat high says 83 chance of thunderstorm. I can keep you updated if you want.

My truck is going to be down for at least a week, turbo needs a rebuild. If I can squeeze my bike into my sports car, I can come. If some nice sole with a truck would be willing to pick me up where the dirt road starts at the top, I would be able to go. Can't drive the car on the dirt road.

So, if there is room for me and I can catch a ride, I will mount some more DH worthy tires on my bike today.

Brenda

No Clue Crew
    There is a weather station down and west from the camping area at 6120ft, it says 65 degrees is the forecast for that station. Sat high says 83 chance of thunderstorm. I can keep you updated if you want.
    High of 83 low of 65? That doesn't sound bad. I thought it would be cooler. Don't really need updates but just confirm roughly what the low will be Fri & Sat night and I'll be happy.

My truck is going to be down for at least a week, turbo needs a rebuild. If I can squeeze my bike into my sports car, I can come. If some nice sole with a truck would be willing to pick me up where the dirt road starts at the top, I would be able to go. Can't drive the car on the dirt road.
    I don't know if there's room for you & your bike but I'll let Barry chime in. Or maybe DAM will chime in first. Does the dirt road where you wanna meet start right off 89?

Huffy Rider
    It will be cooler at the top where you will be, you will be over a 1000 ft higher. The dirt road starts right off 89A.

DAM
    Did you see that?
    I can pick you up at the gravel. Just PM me your number so we can coordinate.

Huffy Rider
    PM sent, thanks so much. I shall change my tires now.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I will work with whomever to help make it as good a day as possible. My truck doesn't accomodate many passengers, but if one doesn't mind short rides in the bed of the truck, we're good. It is a full size pickup with ample room for bikes.

As to where to meet, I do not have a good frame of reference to know one way or the other so would probably defer to motochick, DAM or azdog on those topics. Just let me know!

We should all probably exchange telephone numbers by PM or email to ensure meeting up at the right time and place.

I know at least some of the Flagstaff trails tend to be better in the the wet, mostly, but what are the ones on Mingus like when they get rain?
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 08-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Huffy Rider
    The only time I was up on Mingus when it was wet, was last Sept after a huge rain storm....it was so slimy muddy, it was unrideable. That was after days of unusually heavy rain so I doubt that would happen this Sat with the forecast. Other then that experience, I know nothing.

Since I am last on board, I will ride in the bed if need be.

If Mike can update the who is going list, I will PM you all my #.

No Clue Crew
    To the best of my knowledge:

Tentative:
    azdog (if no Flag)

For sure:
    big0mike
    DesertCrawler
    jcsxj (riding with Barry)
    motochick (DAM to pick up at 89A/FR104)
    DAM

Let's say we meet at the start of 28:

click the map for a larger version

Is there a TH or turnoff of some kind at the end of 28/533? Zooming into GoogleMaps it looks like there's a turnoff then a little lot just beyond a cattle guard. That's good so we won't have to go looking for us at the end

Since we obviously have the shuttle happening we can make several runs:

28 (supposed to be pretty chunky)
    28 -> 111 -> 533

And, since DAM knows the area, we may hit some other trails? I don't know the names he mentioned but I'm game for most anything...
    Last edited by big0mike; 08-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Huffy Rider
    Yes, there is a nice big parking area on the opposite side of the road almost right across from the end of the trails. If there isn't anyone parked at the actual entrance/exit, then we can park there.

Sending my ph# to you all....please don't call after 9pm....I gotta get up early to ride road!

"No Clue Crew"
    I'm on lockdown to Phoenix and will be on SoMo Saturday. Sorry guys!!! Be safe...............Drew

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got an activity smack dab in the middle of Saturday. Sorry!

DAM
    Did you see that?
    I say we meet at the intersection of 104 and 413. At this intersection there is a camp site. I'm guessing you (BOM) want to meet at the top because of where your camping. I suggest that we do 533 (smoother and has good flow) first for a warm up, then whatever from there. any thoughts?

No Clue Crew
    I was thinking at the START label on the map where 28 starts since that's where we'd be starting. The campsights are closer to 104/413 and I figured I'd ride my bike from the campsight to the top of 28. But, 104/413 is fine since it's closer to camp.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    James and I plan to be there around 9:00a, hopefully no later. We'll head to the 104/413 intersection and look lost until someone takes pity on us.

I have Brenda and Mike's numbers.

I like the idea of a warm-up ride, not that it'll help that much in my case. I do have a shorter stem (50mm down from 70mm) and wider bars (30" up from 28') to try out.

Probably GoPro footage for me, this trip, and likely no GPS. I have managed through the cumulative effect of various and abundant crashes to break the case of the GoPro and nearly tear the antenna off the GPS. It kind of just dangles there at the moment. Neither situation will be rectified by Saturday am, I suspect. Oh well.

DAM
    Did you see that?
    Either or works for me, not trying to step on ant toes.

A little entertainment for this Friday.......

My second time to Mingus and I wanted this jump, got scared and tried to shut it down. That didn't work

DAM
    Did you see that?
    *any

DAM
    Did you see that?
    DC- those changes sound like they should make a big difference. What bike are you riding?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    DC- those changes sound like they should make a big difference. What bike are you riding?
    I will be riding (or HABing, it likes to go for walks ) my 2010 Marin Attack Trail. It's basically a 6" FR/AM sort of bike if you're not familiar.

Were you still planning to bring your home made tailgate cover? If so, are we able to use it? If not, no worries, just let me know and we'll figure out another option.

DAM
    Did you see that?
    That will work great! I will be bringing the TG cover and of course you can use it. Just talked to motogirl and were set. I think a friend of mine will be coming too, he says he's 96.2% in. Whatever that means? Lookin' forward to it!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    That will work great! I will be bringing the TG cover and of course you can use it. Just talked to motogirl and were set. I think a friend of mine will be coming too, he says he's 96.2% in. Whatever that means? Lookin' forward to it!
    Cool, thanks!

See everyone up there tomorrow.

No Clue Crew
    Were you still planning to bring your home made tailgate cover? If so, are we able to use it? If not, no worries, just let me know and we'll figure out another option.
    James doesn't have his carpet?

Either or works for me, not trying to step on ant toes.
    No toes to step on. Just wanna figure out the easiest place for people to find each other. We'll make it 9a at the intersection of 104/413 then

Bloodied but Unbowed
    James doesn't have his carpet?

It requires work and sacrificing carpet that matches his household carpet. If there's an existing solution, that's preferable. I think we're good to go thanks to DAM's generous offer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I have it. I'll bring it just Incase we need it. See everyone tomorrow

Huffy Rider
    I will bring a moving carpet in case as well....we may want it for sitting on in the bed. BTW it is pouring on Mingus right now and lots of lightning!! Hopefully it sticks around to cool things down a bit, it was quite warm this morning.

No Clue Crew
    I will bring a moving carpet in case as well....we may want it for sitting on in the bed. BTW it is pouring on Mingus right now and lots of lightning!! Hopefully it sticks around to cool things down a bit, it was quite warm this morning.
    Yikes... Hope if calms down by the time we get there tonight or we'll be sleeping in the truck
    Last edited by big0mike; 08-26-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Huffy Rider
    Last night it started about 8pm and when I went to bed at 9pm it was still raining. Of course when I woke up this morning, no sign it had rained! Good luck up there tonite!

No Clue Crew
    I'll be leaving shortly. See you all tomorrow morning...

"No Clue Crew"
    I'll be leaving shortly. See you all tomorrow morning...
    Be safe!! Photo and video..........D

Elitest thrill junkie
    Now it looks like i wont be working till much later, i may head up there and do some riding.

Bloodied but Unbowed

Great day on the hill!

Did everyone make it back or to wherever they were heading?

I know Mike you're still up there. Thanks for prodding us to come up, it was awesome. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Great times with a great group!

533 was especially a blast!

Huffy Rider
    Yep, I was in my pool by 4pm! So great to meet all of you, everyone was so cool. Thanks for letting me tag-a-long, I learned a lot. Be safe.

mtbr member
    Barry, did you have the GoPro with you?
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great day on the hill fo sho, it was a blast.

DAM
    Did you see that?
    Great day on Mingus! Made it to flagpole safe and sound. Good times and a lot of laughs!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Barry, did you have the GoPro with you?
    No, I left it at home because the case is cracked and did want to risk losing the camera.

Pretty sure Mike had his rolling. Should bs some good stuff.

mtbr member
    So did you guys shuttle or did you get stuck having to pedal?
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

Bloodied but Unbowed
    We shuttled. The original intent was to use my truck, but Damon was gracious enough to let us use his crew cab. Thanks Damon! It really is a much nicer ride than my poor old truck. Pretty sure I got four runs in, which was just about right, but I think in total we had five runs.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Oh yeah. The new 50mm stem and 30" bars worked awesome. The extra 2" over the old 28" bars and 70mm stem made for way better control and stability just like I had expected. The shorter stem means adjusting climbing technique but like Damon pointed out I have some leeway to drop the bars a bit by pulling out a stem spacer.

Might not bf do great on narrow trails but if is my SoMo bike afterall.

Shovel Ready
    Making a double change can get interesting. Glad it worked for you.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

No Clue Crew
    Just got back and had a great time. Really fun trails... even the one with the cactus that left some spines in my backside 28 was AWESOME 'cause of the chunk and 533 was nice and smooth and flowy. It was similar to Flag the weekend before except not as steep so you didn't get moving as fast as quickly. A good trail for baby stepping your way up to the Flag trails. I'll be going through the video shortly and with any luck I'll have something up tonight

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Making a double change can get interesting. Glad it worked for you.
    It was calculated so neither the positives nor negatives were surprising, except that I was really pleased with just how well it suited that style of riding.

One more change and I will try it out at PMP and then SoMo in a few weeks.

No Clue Crew
    Enjoy...

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice video mike! Hopefully DAM will post up his videos too! I can't wait to get back out there again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast