Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Miles for 2013 and other biking accomplishments? (Cheers PHXCHEM!)

2013 was turning out to be a banner year for me on the bike... I was on track for over 7000 miles and over 300 rides for the year. Several races and some respectable finishes, too. I was riding high! :-)

Well, what goes up must come down and it did for me on Black Friday while riding the Quad Bypass. Over 3 hours in and racking up the PR's, I was on track for a good time. I ended up breaking my leg on the simplest right turn when my front wheel washed out and caused me to crash near the Sunrise TH in the MCDowells. Just like that, my year totals on the bike were done. Sadly, a good portion of 2014 will be used to recover. All in all, a bummer, but things could have been worse.

My goals for 2014 is simply to recover and complete PT/rehab to the best of my ability, all the while dialing in my nutrition so I do not balloon while off the bike and use this off the bike time to ultimately become stronger on the bike. Short and sweet.

Enough about me, let's hear from all of you, some of who I know and some of who I do not. And PHXCHEM... You gave me negative rep for this thread last year. Let's hear about your year... hopefully a better ending than mine! No hard feelings, man. :-)

Cheers guys/gals! Let's rock it in 2014!!

Name:  2013.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  25.4 KB
    -boom

livin' the dream......
    Richie,

Bummed about your leg, but you will be back stronger! My stats for this year, as of today:

Riding:

1,856 miles (probably not going to hit my 2k goal)
    123,865 ft of climbing
    116 rides

Running:
    174 miles
    8,681 ft of climbing
    43 runs

I will break 10k ft. for running, an probably get another 50-80 miles of riding in before January 1st.

Proudest riding moment this year?

Crossing the Whiskey 50 finish line at exactly 6h after 2 rounds of vomiting, then taking the beer hand up at the river crossing, then vomiting again in a trash can on the court house lawn. Followed by partying at the concert, and closing down Whiskey Row.

No negative rep from me, brother!

Terry

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Impressive stats guys, I'm at 1158 miles, all dirt but don't know the climbing total. This year did include a trip to Gooseberry Mesa for the first time which was an eye opener!

Mike

Give it a crank
    Pretty impressive stats, too bad they weren't even better.

I rode about 1000 miles less than last year since slowing down my rides for my bad knees to stay healthy. I'll take what I got this year though, I may even break 2K miles by the 31st:

Year-to-Date Rides (some mix of dirt and pavement):

Distance 1,857.4 mi
    Time 256h 42m
    Elev Gain 152,523 ft
    Rides 121

mtbr member
    This is the first year that I've actually recorded all of my rides. I'm still amazed at how it kept me motivated to get out and ride every week. My goal was 100 mi. And 10k of climbing for each month. I was able to meet that every month and then some. I tried to keep on the dirt for the majority and did it all SS.
    My Stats:

Cycling Running
    LAST 4 WEEKS
    Avg Rides / Week 2
    Avg Distance / Week 37 mi
    Avg Time / Week 4h 54m
    YEAR-TO-DATE
    Distance 1,792.3 mi
    Time 244h 16m
    Elev Gain 194,052 ft
    Rides 143
    ALL-TIME
    Distance 1,792.3 mi
    Rides 143
    Biggest Ride 68.9 mi
    Biggest Climb 4,954 ft

mtbr member
    The year isn't over. I'm not participating until after 1/1/14
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    The year isn't over. I'm not participating until after 1/1/14
    That's' the spirit. Ride strong for these next 3 weeks! I wish I could ride with you! :-)
    -boom

Pivotal figure
    Damn right! I'm still adding to those totals
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Always in the wrong gear
    I was looking at my stats today. This year is the first year I have tracked completely and i'm no racer and have little time, but enjoy getting out for a ride when I can.

Y-T-D
    597.5 miles
    63h 38m
    59,843 ft gained
    68 rides

Hopefully the next couple weeks provide more numbers. I'm excited for next year and pushing the limits.
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

Ahhh the pain....
    It's been a great year for me thus far beating my last years totals. This year I've completed several REALLY long day races (Gila 100, Santa Fe BFL, PPP80) which have caused me to find a whole new level of suffering. I've also worked harder this year at improving speed by mixing in shorter, more intense rides.
    Year-to-Date
    Distance 6,020.7 mi (mix of road and mtb)
    Time 543h 50m
    Elev Gain 455,338 ft (love to hit 500k by year end!)
    Rides 200
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Rich... Tough way to end after a really stellar year for you.

As for me. No specific mileage goals, but it has been strong year for me. Riding wise on the mtn bike I did the Whiskey 25 and finished reasonable well. On the Road bike cranked out some long rides with a couple over 50 miles. On the running stand point I was able to run a 10k 5 days straight.

Miles / Elevation / Rides (As of 12/8/13 with more to come)
    Total Bike = 2329.1 mi / 158,227 ft / 114 rides
    Mtn = 979.5 mi / 92,263 ft / 56 rides
    Road = 1349.6 mi / 65964 ft / 58 rides
    Running = 146.8 mi / 5,125 ft / 29 runs
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

The Next 100 Miler
    Tough to hear about the broken leg, I hope it heals well and quickly!

I spent (wasted) the first half of my year, and several before that, on a 75+ rounds of golf. Then I got refocused on mountain biking after a multi-year layoff.

Since July - 780 miles on the mt. bike, including the Tour of the White Mountains 35. I just picked up Jerry R's solo Dawn to Dusk ticket. I'm in way over my head, but planning for 4-5 laps on my single speed.

mtbr member
    While I did miss recording a few rides, I'm looking at bit over 2k by the end of the year, the majority on the rigid singlespeed on dirt. Put in a few hundred road miles at the beginning of the year but haven't touched the rb since April.
    Starting to ride more CX so I am sure the road miles will increase for next year.

Avg Rides / Week 3
    Avg Distance / Week 49 mi
    Avg Time / Week 4h 56m
    Year-to-Date
    Distance 1,953.2 mi
    Time 191h 35m
    Elev Gain 143,629 ft
    Rides 115

Got a suspension fork
    Numerically speaking I don't compete with you junkies:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.33.22 AM.PNG
Views: 514
Size:  14.0 KB

But more important to me than those figures, I came back this year from a nasty incident and time off the bike late last year/early this year. I have enjoyed myself immensely this year on the bike, and with several of the people on this forum including you Richie!

Guys like Chad, Jeff, John, and Ray have got me to venture out on some longer rides like AES PicketPost. I've enjoyed riding the Whiskey 50 the past couple of years, but these AES type rides are really more my style - just an incredible experience all around.

My goal this year was to get back on the bike, to be riding strong, and enjoy enjoy enjoy.

On my third set of MTB wheels this year, new electronic shifting road bike, many saddles later, new cleats, too many road tubes tires and a few MTB tires later... Mission accomplished.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Don't know how many miles I put in but my regular 2-3 rides per week routine was interrupted by a bout of valley fever. Took me off the bike for 4 months. Gained 15 lbs and lost quite a bit of heart/lung fitness. Wasn't sure I would have the motivation to get back on the bike when things cleared, especially at my age. Reading the threads from some of you on MTBR really helped. Been back on the bike a couple months now and feeling stronger every ride.

mtbr member
    I am not even gonna try to compete...since I don't ride road.

Richie, you will be back - this experience will give mental toughness - much needed for those long races. I would spend this time reading up on proper dieting, mountain bike skills, trails to ride, etc. etc.

Go Speed Racer
    Boom - I will post up my numbers once we get closer to the end of the year. A fairly major home remodel project gone mad has interrupted my riding schedule, but I am on pace to hit my goals for the year (Pale in comparison to some of you guys on here). Do you have a link to last years thread? I think I posted this years goals were on there, and I can't exactly remember what they were...

Anyhow, my MAJOR accomplishment for this year was entering, competing in and having a very respectable finish in a race this year! Hope to do many more next year. Also, a recent MAJOR bike upgrade project has been completed, so I now have a sled that can keep up with my goals! Stats coming soon...

Edit: I found last year's post and I met some of my goals, but not all of them... There is still some time left in the year for me to complete them
    Last edited by mtbdennis; 12-09-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Plus size jersey model
    YTD

4436.81 (Projected 4700) Gonna be shy of my 5000 goal.

1977 of them commuting miles.

65% days to work commuted

2 bikepacking trips (way under goal)

Gained like 15lbs. Not good now I'm even fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Numerically speaking I don't compete with you junkies:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 10.33.22 AM.PNG
Views: 514
Size:  14.0 KB

But more important to me than those figures, I came back this year from a nasty incident and time off the bike late last year/early this year. I have enjoyed myself immensely this year on the bike, and with several of the people on this forum including you Richie!

Guys like Chad, Jeff, John, and Ray have got me to venture out on some longer rides like AES PicketPost. I've enjoyed riding the Whiskey 50 the past couple of years, but these AES type rides are really more my style - just an incredible experience all around.

My goal this year was to get back on the bike, to be riding strong, and enjoy enjoy enjoy.

On my third set of MTB wheels this year, new electronic shifting road bike, many saddles later, new cleats, too many road tubes tires and a few MTB tires later... Mission accomplished.
    Judging by this last weekend, you are back. I saw some strong riding from you. You just need to dive into more of John's epics. They are always "interesting".

I don't keep stats or do strava or even know how to operate a heart rate monitor. I don't give a flying fig about how many miles I've done or what my PR is or who I'm faster than (no one). I'll leave "training" to those who are younger and/or more motivated. However, 2013 was a year of some pretty huge personal accomplishments.

- The Gila 100 marked my longest/hardest day on a bike (18 hours), until the 300. I highly recommend this for someone who really wants to test themselves. It is a pretty amazing bit of AZT between Picketpost and Tiger mine - and quite challenging.

- Finishing the AZT300 with my wife was the biggest bike thing I've ever done. It was a mental/physical/marital test that I am still surprised to have passed. I still think about the various parts of that and marvel that we actually did that.

- Then there are the many other bikepacking and just epic rides that I've done with the coolest people. Finishing after dark, without lights. Slaying tire demons. Creative solutions to unexpected mechanicals. All the crap that can happen when you "go long" just helped me to flesh out my tool kit and made me more confident in handling whatever comes next. I look forward to many more rides with awesome folks in the next year.

On the list for next year is Coco 250, the Kaibab bikepacking trip, and MAYBE the Picketpost Pulverizer. Although that one scares me a good bit - especially after seeing Ray when he finished.

Got a suspension fork
    snipped a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Judging by this last weekend, you are back. I saw some strong riding from you. You just need to dive into more of John's epics. They are always "interesting".

- The Gila 100 marked my longest/hardest day on a bike (18 hours), until the 300. I highly recommend this for someone who really wants to test themselves. It is a pretty amazing bit of AZT between Picketpost and Tiger mine - and quite challenging.

On the list for next year is Coco 250, the Kaibab bikepacking trip, and MAYBE the Picketpost Pulverizer. Although that one scares me a good bit - especially after seeing Ray when he finished.
    Thank you!

Q: Ok wait. You've done the Gila 100 but the Pulverizer scares you? I'd think if you've done the Gila, that it's at least as tough as the Pulverizer? No?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Ahhh the pain....
    snipped a bit...

Thank you!

Q: Ok wait. You've done the Gila 100 but the Pulverizer scares you? I'd think if you've done the Gila, that it's at least as tough as the Pulverizer? No?
    I think the Pulverizer is a smidge tougher since you're faced with a real ***** of a climb when you legs have already been reduced to lifeless appendages. The last 27 miles of the Gila100 are no party, but maybe not as brutal.

Bottom line, they both nearly made me cry like a little girl.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I feel wholly inadequate with my numbers but they are my numbers damnit! Raising a toddler sure sucks time out of my life but I get out when I can when the wife gives me a hall pass.

YEAR-TO-DATE
    Distance 808.8 mi
    Time 101h 0m
    Elev Gain 64,951 ft
    Rides 40

I have to say though that this year has been a huge year for me! I've doubled my millage from last year and I'm 8x the millage from the year before that. I've had some awesome introductions to bikepacking thanks to John which also caused me to break my longest distance rides at the time as well. I've met so many new friends during all of these journeys this year and I hope I keep meeting more. You guys all rock! I also finally did my first AES ride (the PPP 50) and finished DFL and managed to break another personal distance AND climbing record but completely happy I managed to finish. It is very sobering and humbling to see someone like Ray finish the PPP 80 25 minutes before I finished the 50. I swear you guys are robots! I just did another AES ride just yesterday (the defunct AES BCT course) with John and happy to have finished that one as well. I'm starting to get this weird addictive feeling to the suffering that goes on with these endurance rides. I start to becoming numb to the pain and just keep pushing and try to finish. Thanks John for taking me on all of these crazy rides this year!! You have singlehandedly witnessed me breaking several personal records this year that I never would have imagined breaking nor even attempting. Can't wait to see what next adventure you cook up.

Maybe... just maybe... I may be stupid enough to attempt the Coco250 in 2014 and the AZT300 in 2015.

snipped a bit...

Thank you!

It left a scar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For me it has been doing what I can for the MEDL proposal. I guess I'm over pushing my limits these days, I get out when I can with the soul purpose to have fun. I guess I had a lot of fun this past year so yeah........I guess having lots of fun is up on that list too.

Black and Sticky
    Ok, I'll play. YTD according to Garmin Connect:

Count: 179 cycling events
    Distance: 2,869.86 mi
    Time: 231:46:16 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 73,921 ft
    Avg Speed: 12.4 mph
    Avg HR: 120 bpm
    Avg Bike Cadence: 72 rpm
    Calories: 80,608 C

I think I was on track for at least 3500 miles, maybe more. But we decided to buy new house, sell old house. All of that, having to take care of two yards, fixing stuff, painting, etc. set me back in late summer and fall. The good news, however, new house is only 3 blocks from 32 St. trailhead of PMP. So cool to hit PMP from home.

Oh yeah, healing vibes Boomvader. Get well soon.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast