Vitamin Bike Added

Mid-Day Mini Epic at SOMO (with a dash of heat stroke)

Well, hardly epic by designated 'epic' standards but as gauged by the number of camelback fill-ups and degree of wet spaghetti noodle legs, I'd call it epic indeed. Started at the 48th street fireroad, climbed national to the saddle, down Geronimo (for the first time!), roadie to 24th street, hike-a-gnar most of the way up the back side of Mormon, back down national.

It looked easy on paper and I still don't know if it was the heat killing me today (started the ride at a lazy 11AM after work) or it was just a lot of tough climbing but this route brought me to the brink of sending a Dear John to the lady. On the bright side, Geronimo was a blast. I brought my 4 inch travel bike and was able to bomb it with minimal complaint from my mediocre components or feeling like I needed more suspension travel.

Anyone come down Mormon to 24th street? Pushing my bike up there I felt waves of desire/delirium to turn around and just enjoy the gnar back down to the bottom. Looks a lot more technical than Geronimo turned out to be and would probably be a blast. Ultimately I need a route that loops back to 48th street parking lot without having to triple check my med-evac benefits before I head out next time, but for today, a blast when all was said and done.

Sorry no picture stoke, I need to work on that.
    Last edited by MTBCanuck; 10-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Keep the rubber side down

Meatbomb
    humidity was real high today .... it takes it out of me .

Huffy Rider
    I've only ridden 24th st on my trail bike and it is my favorite trail out there....I can't wait to do it on my big bike this winter! It is a HOOT! That is a pretty tough ride you did in this heat. nutz

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    24th is also my favorite trail at SoMo. That's a big ride in this heat.

Here's one of my favorite slightly-unusual loops at SoMo. Park at 24th and climb up 24th, head over and pick up Lower National down, loop around and climb Mormon Loop and then bomb back down 24th to the car.

Vitamin Bike Added
    that sounds a lot better then the loop I did today. I was looking at some spots on 24th where you can see trail builders have helped make lines on the gnarly stuff. Really want to ride that trail!

mtbr member
    This nopho is doing somo this winter for sheezy

EDR
    I did your loop once in spring. Was the first week of mid 90 degree temps and I thought I was gonna die HAB'ing up 24th st. Goose bumps and all. If not for the ice water found at the boy scout area it could have been real real bad.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    +1 on the 24th St descent!! By no means am I a d/h rider, but I enjoy the heck out of that trail on my hardtail 29er. I think there's 4 spots I walk around, but the rest is a blast for me.

If you don't want to ride up 24th, you can take the Highline canal over to Javelina off of 46th St. for the return to the Pima Canyon lot.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Kathleen in AZ
    One way to make a loop is to roll up the road to Buena Vista after Geronimo. It's a nice middle chain ring spin the whole way. Sure, it's not trail but I always enjoy the road spin up the mtn. Then you get to bomb down National!

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    24th is also my favorite trail at SoMo. That's a big ride in this heat.

Here's one of my favorite slightly-unusual loops at SoMo. Park at 24th and climb up 24th, head over and pick up Lower National down, loop around and climb Mormon Loop and then bomb back down 24th to the car.
    This is a great alternative when you try and hook up with the gnargnar crew but just run out of patience waiting for the pick-up

Vitamin Bike Added
    I like Durtgurl's idea as well with the road ride up to Buena Vista. After the descent a nice uphill row on pavement sounds like a nice break before hitting national back to the car. So many great options, thanks for the input guys!