mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Michelin Wild Race'r... anyone riding them?

MBAction had a review not too long ago in which they rated the Michelin Wild Race'r as having decent grip and low rolling resistance (and they are light if you get the ultimate version). I have been thinking about trying them out on a 4" XC bike (26"). I mainly ride San Tan mountain and DC at South Mountain. I ride by myself and usually push myself to the limit. I want something that is fast but won't wash out. I don't want to increase my risk of personal injury for improved rolling resistance. I currently run a Nevegal 2.1 up front and Slant Six 2.1 in the rear. The Kenda's grip great but I keep hearing how slow they are and I want to try something else. Are the Michelin's a good choice?
    Killing it with close inspection.

Ahhh the pain....
    They are ok... Inexpensive depending on where you buy them but won't get a ton of miles out of them. The sidewAlls aren't the toughest but ok for what you're riding.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about them for what you like to do (which is pretty similar to what I like to do too-so I understand). FWIW-another to look at that I have fallen in love with is the Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue. Grip is ridiculous and wear is good on the front but really quick on the rear. I ride HT and found the sidewall a little weak against cuts on the back (no issues what so ever on the front) and started to run a Conti Race King on the back. Love that on the rear and want to try it on the front eventually too.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

AZ
    banned
    Last time I looked the Bonty 29 1 was no longer listed on the site, get em while you can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Last time I looked the Bonty 29 1 was no longer listed on the site, get em while you can.
    Would the 29-1 be the same as the XR1 Team?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Would the 29-1 be the same as the XR1 Team?
    Yes, they just changed the name of it.
    I run the XR1 (former 29-1) as well and love it. Very fast rolling but good traction. They improved the sidewall protection as well when all the tires went to the XR naming (for the TLR versions).

mtbr member
    Yeah I noticed that too- but I think thats a typo of sorts according to my LBS. They just updated the tire this year to UST... who knows!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    MBAction had a review not too long ago in which they rated the Michelin Wild Race'r as having decent grip and low rolling resistance (and they are light if you get the ultimate version). I have been thinking about trying them out on a 4" XC bike (26"). I mainly ride San Tan mountain and DC at South Mountain. I ride by myself and usually push myself to the limit. I want something that is fast but won't wash out. I don't want to increase my risk of personal injury for improved rolling resistance. I currently run a Nevegal 2.1 up front and Slant Six 2.1 in the rear. The Kenda's grip great but I keep hearing how slow they are and I want to try something else. Are the Michelin's a good choice?
    I have become a big fan of Michelin tires but I don't know if I could recommend them for your terrain. I am in completely different terrain (South-East PA), but I have had issues with durability in the rocks. Michelins are light. My Wild Grprs, which are beefier than the Race'r, are 575g. But that lightness comes at a cost. For my woods riding, I can get away with them. The impression I get from Arizona and the trails you mention is that you have lots of rocks - sharp pointing rocks. I don't think the Michelins would survive. I recommend something from Maxxis with an Exo sidewall. Those are bomb proof.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member

Re: Michelin Wild Race'r... anyone riding them?

I used to run them for a while in the f/r, and then a while longer just in the back. I loved them and saw no reason to change. Then, one day on a trip to Raystown, a small rock went right through the tire and lodged in the tube. Switched to Ardent EXOs that day and never looked back.

I think they are a solid choice for dirt singletrack, but a lesser than ideal choice for rockier terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the responses! I will probably give them a shot as CRC has them for fairly cheap. This guys review makes me think they are too much of a race tire so I am not expecting too much. If they don't work out I will probably check out the Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Been running the 2.25 front/2.10 rear at 30psi tubeless hardtail and they've held up well on my flat, dry, hardpack, rooty terrain. (I'm a very aggressive rider, mainly fast singletrack).

Horrible for loose rocky terrain though. I was sliding all over the place on a recent out-of-town ride--would imagine the grippers would have been better on that stuff.

Vincit qui patitur
    I have the Advanced version 29er
    The front didn't last long at SOMO.
    It has a 1" gash in the sidewall.
    I still run one on the rear adn they are very fast rollers.
    They worked great at Sea Otter.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just wanted to post an update on the Michelin Wild Race'r. I ended up purchasing the tires in the 2.25" size for my HT instead of new tires for my FS. Chain Reaction Cycles has them for $28/each and they have reinforced sidewalls. I've been wanting to try larger tires on the HT so I figured I would just kill two birds with one stone.

Quick review:

I found that the Michelin's were extremely easy to mount and popped on the bead with little effort. These are non-UST but sealant compatible. I run a Conti light tube in the front and tubeless in the rear on UST rims with sealant. Going tubeless on the rear took maybe 15-30 minutes... this is in contrast to my non-ust Kenda tires that literally take hours and a ride to get a good seal. After stretching out, the 2.25" Michelin's were 3/8" larger in diameter compared to my old 2.1" Kenda tires. The tires weighed in at roughly advertised weight (around 720g) adding a good half pound of rotational weight to the bike. The rolling resistance is very low compared to the Kendas but the added weight can be felt. I have found grip to be excellent once I finally found a sweet spot for pressure (33# F/R for 195lb riding weight). The tires have a more squared off shape with larger knobs on the side that make it slightly sketchy when plowing through loose sand. Overall I am happy with the tires. Even though I went to a larger size tire the rolling resistance seems lower and the ride is much better. With the exception of the increased weight from the larger size, the only negative is probably going to be tire life as the rear is showing a lot of wear already.

Thanks for everyone's input!

mtbr member
    I bought a Wild Race'R Advanced 26x2.25 as an experiment. It's replacing a Specialized Ground Control 26x2.3 that I was trying to wear out, but it looked like the GC would last the season so I went ahead and threw on the wild race'r.

I am guessing it will be a faster rear tire, and useless in loose conditions. But it's mainly hardpack, roots and limestone rocks here. If I burn it up fast, the GC goes back on.

Mounted on a 19mm ID rim (Mavic) it is 55.0mm at the casing and 56.7mm at the shoulder knob. Pretty much bang on 2.25", just like the Wild Grip'R2 Advanced I have up front.