parenting for gnarness

Mesa Bike Park Workday - Dec 14 9am

Reposted from GROAZ's FB page:

"We are happy to be on board with the McDowell and Recker Bike Park Project! Please come show MTB Community support and help on the next and final cleanup day, before ground breaking in January! Cleanup Day is December 14th at 9:00am. Please let us know if you will be there!"

Project info Here: http://www.mesaaz.gov/engineering/Projects/McDowellReckerPark/TrailRendering.pdf

we'd welcome any and all participation by MTBrs. Speaking only for myself (not GROAZ), if you think you will be a regular user of this park and volunteer, please consider joining GROAZ. Why? Land Managers prefer to work with an organization not a splintered collection of random folks. Your same labors when viewed in the context of an organization are much more influential and meaningful to those Land Managers. 10 volunteers is great, but 10 volunteers from GROAZ brings the org credibility. Land Managers realize they are partnering with a legitimate, reliable group who's members will come out for workdays and earn their seat at the table for decision-making. GROAZ is all locally run and made up of locals and frequent posters on this forum. The group makes the kind of decisions and builds the kind of alliances that we locals need. By supporting the group, you are investing in mtb influence in YOUR community.

I am planning to be there with my 2 little ones. We shredded McPump last week, the kids are super stoked for another local park. And by kids, I mean me too

mtbr member
    Bonus, No Horses!

mtbr member
    I am planning to be there and hoping to bring along some of the Boy Scouts from the troop I am involved with too.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I am planning to be there and hoping to bring along some of the Boy Scouts from the troop I am involved with too.
    nice.
    showing that this is good for kids goes a long way with making Land Managers see that its a park for all, not just young male adrenaline junkies. I try to let LMs know that both my kids and I get to challenge ourselves, but can do it together, something that is impossible on a trail or climb or distance ride.

#USINGMYKIDSASTOKENS

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am planning on it and should have a few of my kids coming.

You sure are hot on folks joining GROAZ.

How much further ???
    Cholla. Do you have any more details on this? Do we park at the entrance to the water tank? Im on kid duty Saturday morning so if I come I will be bringing my 4 year old and twin 2 year old's. Is it all raw desert? Im not sure how much I will be able to help especially if it requires going out into the brush. Not sure I want all the mini me's running through cactus, but I'd still like to stop by and show our support. I will bring their Strider bikes if there is a place for them to ride around. At least show the land management that there are 4 and 2 year old's ready to ride the new park.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Cholla. Do you have any more details on this? Do we park at the entrance to the water tank? Im on kid duty Saturday morning so if I come I will be bringing my 4 year old and twin 2 year old's. Is it all raw desert? Im not sure how much I will be able to help especially if it requires going out into the brush. Not sure I want all the mini me's running through cactus, but I'd still like to stop by and show our support. I will bring their Strider bikes if there is a place for them to ride around. At least show the land management that there are 4 and 2 year old's ready to ride the new park.
    I dont have any further info. Assuming parking will be obvious, and that its also mostly undeveloped land. Workdays with kids do not always make for a lot of work -- appreciate your intent, but with 3 kids I'd focus on playing it safe. That said, sounds like there will be other parents and kids and we could try to help each other out.

Bike park saturday, AES ride Sunday!

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Bike park saturday, AES ride Sunday!
    No doubt. Throw in the Rocky Mountain demo at Usery and its the weekend bike trifecta.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Regarding what will be happening this weekend, I wrote the gentleman with the email listed on the Facebook invite asking about what to expect, hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing the response:

We will be doing a general clean up of trash on the property. There are some trouble spots with glass broken on the ground that might best be cleaned up with shovels and wheel barrows. Plan on three hrs.

How much further ???
    Regarding what will be happening this weekend, I wrote the gentleman with the email listed on the Facebook invite asking about what to expect, hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing the response:
    Thanks for the follow up. Guess I will just plan to swing by, say hello, and show our support.

parenting for gnarness
    would you mind sharing that FB page? I've been following it via GROAZ's page.

mtbr member

parenting for gnarness
    bump

parenting for gnarness
    About 25 people showed up to work. I don't know all the affiliations, or how some of the local groups got connected with the project. The park will be designed by a professional company, my understanding is the City of Mesa is strongly behind it all. If anyone has more info on these organizational questions, I'd really like to hear it.

The plot of land will be sweet. Its on a gentle slop, and there is a small hill at the back with a service road leading up to it. The pitch of the hill is awesome for a trail that will wrap down it. When you look at it, you will smile. The land is located 20 seconds off the 202 at Recker, there is a CVS and 2 gas stations on the corners - great for snacks.

We did a lot of grunt work in the area closest to the road, as a lot of dumping had been done there. I felt like we got a lot done, but there is a lot of built up trash. It was a good start, and I'm sure once they flag things and bring in some small dozers it will clean up quickly.

Below are a few pics of my girls and SugarHigh and his daughter. The kids hit it off quickly, and even though they had a tough time envisioning it they are all psyched for a new park. I'm glad they made friends cause they will be excited about coming out to more workdays now. My girls definitely are stoked to be part of this from the beginning, plus I have set a (bad)precedent for taking them out to lunch after workdays.

Mesa Bike Park Workday - Dec 14 9am-1472795_10202704433312818_881103759_n-1-.jpg

Mesa Bike Park Workday - Dec 14 9am-1466250_10202704433232816_73475894_n-1-.jpg

Mesa Bike Park Workday - Dec 14 9am-1484122_10202704433272817_1375754917_n-1-.jpg

Mesa Bike Park Workday - Dec 14 9am-1463671_10202704433712828_1939091486_n-1-.jpg