Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    parenting for gnarness

Mesa Bike Park...wha happened?

I've heard nada since mid-December. Any info??

How much further ???
    Talked to a Mesa City councilman a few weeks back and everything is still a go, so I've been told.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Talked to a Mesa City councilman a few weeks back and everything is still a go, so I've been told.
    good to hear. still, weird that it just went dark... please keep posting any info you hear.

dirt visionary
    were they supposed to keep us in the loop? According to the project page its all moving as planned
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    were they supposed to keep us in the loop? According to the project page its all moving as planned
    I was thinking the same thing... Kind if like "If it's not on Strava it didn't happen"... now we have "If it's not on MTBR it's not real"
    -- Bikes are effin cool --

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... Kind if like "If it's not on Strava it didn't happen"... now we have "If it's not on MTBR it's not real"
    let me ask my question a different way -- after coming out for the workday in Dec, can we come out and help again?

a rock gets moved on a trail and there is a video expose up here the next day along with blood oaths of vengeance, but i've heard nothing here or in my shop or on FB or via GROAZ. just seemed like these would be places to engage the community, as is typically done for this type of project. I know it was an out of town org designing it, but I would think Mesa will be looking for community involvement to help maintain and self-police it...so by not fostering those relationships we and the City are somewhat not maximizing the potential for the project. If some riding org is not involved, we are dependent on the City to maintain and design...and that usually doesnt last. I'm psyched if there is a Mesa bike group that is involved, I just havent heard of one.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    let me ask my question a different way -- after coming out for the workday in Dec, can we come out and help again?

a rock gets moved on a trail and there is a video expose up here the next day along with blood oaths of vengeance, but i've heard nothing here or in my shop or on FB or via GROAZ. just seemed like these would be places to engage the community, as is typically done for this type of project. I know it was an out of town org designing it, but I would think Mesa will be looking for community involvement to help maintain and self-police it...so by not fostering those relationships we and the City are somewhat not maximizing the potential for the project. If some riding org is not involved, we are dependent on the City to maintain and design...and that usually doesnt last. I'm psyched if there is a Mesa bike group that is involved, I just havent heard of one.
    If i google 'mesa bike park' i get nothing but a few hits to prior threads on here.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about this the other day as well. Drove by there and nothing has happened, at least nothing obvious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    If i google 'mesa bike park' i get nothing but a few hits to prior threads on here.
    Google it as "Mcdowell Recker bike park", it takes you to the city of Mesa page for it:McDowell and Recker Park CP0122

Updated as "tentatively" scheduled for March start of development, ETC November 2014.

John

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tkd.teacher View Post
    Google it as "Mcdowell Recker bike park", it takes you to the city of Mesa page for it:McDowell and Recker Park CP0122

Updated as "tentatively" scheduled for March start of development, ETC November 2014.

John
    i found it under those search terms prior to my last post, after I tried 'flagstaff bike park', 'phoenix bike park', 'McDowell bike park' and 'fountain hills bike park' for comparison. The fact that you need to know the cross streets for it to come up in a search shows that they are not connected to the community (yet) and thus far not prioritizing community connections.

I used to live at Recker\Thomas and my kids went to the daycare across the street for 3 yrs, where we regularly rode bikes home past that site. if I still lived there I would have taken it upon myself to personally get to know the city planners, designers, local councilmen and other stakeholders. I would communicate all that to GROAZ and leverage our numbers (50+?) to have myself (or some member of a bike org) become a stakeholder in the project. This is how things get done such that the community becomes a partner in the project. See what has been happening at Brown's Ranch with the Cave Creek bike org, GROAZ with McPump, Flag's Ft Tuthill park with FBO, Phx looking at a site in N. Phx with GROAZ and IMBA, there is a group in the West Valley building at a park out there with a relationship with their city.

i'm not trying to crap on the project by any means (i will do my best to make upcoming volunteer days) just giving all of us advance notice that without a seat at the table, we have no influence, and therefore no security for the project. Any bike org that was engaged with this would be publishing updates, and damn straight they would make their way to this board. If Mesa tables this for whatever reason...no one in the bike community will know and be able to respond with numbers until its too late. Public comments for projects largely mean the project is already determined.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I would love to see the project started too. Liek ALL construction projects, there will be delays. Add government project, and you will get even more delays.

I bet they accounted for all that in Fall completion date.

AKA shitbird
    It is still moving forward. There have been minor happenings and updates on the project but for the most part it is just a waiting game on the City of Mesa to get moving. GROAZ will be making an announcement on the park (and their involvement) at some point but as of right now what little news there is to share isn't worth mentioning until some details get ironed out. Sorry to be vague but I'm doing so in the name of not wanting to spout off half-baked info on the forums.
    JRA

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Looks like construction began June 16th and will be completed in November.

McDowell and Recker Park CP0122

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    its fenced off now

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Signs of progress

Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    its fenced off now
    There are survey stakes all over now and it looked like they were doing some initial roadwork at the entrance the other day

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    "Valley Rain Construction has been awarded the contract and issued the notice to proceed.

Rough grade staking is complete and trail staking review and adjustments is underway. The contractor has also begun clearing the balance of the trails this week."

Si vales, valeo.
    I'd definitely be interested in helping out in any future volunteer days.
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    GROAZ has three weekend workdays scheduled in October. Will try to get the word out with times asap.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

How much further ???
    Please do. Ill be there
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Addicted to 2 wheels
    What will a volunteer group do there during construction? The project is funded and the professionals are building it. Not trying to discourage, but just confused.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    What will a volunteer group do there during construction? The project is funded and the professionals are building it. Not trying to discourage, but just confused.
    Shovel dirt. get to be the first group to ride it. have fun with your friends.
    b

mtbr member
    and the professionals are building it.
    Exactly
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    City of Mesa has asked in an effort to keep cost low if GROAZ could assist with the pumptrack build. Not sure if we are professional but we have plenty of experience. I do not have any additional details at this time but even though parks are professionally built they still require ongoing volunteer maintenance after the "pros" leave.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

parenting for gnarness
    become a stakeholder and goto contact. we should welcome this opportunity, be overjoyed that Mesa reached out to the riding community! The chollaballs will try to make it. Thanks for posting AZDog.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am surprised Mesa did not have the whole thing in the bid that Alpine won? Rarely would you see a project like this have planned volunteer labor before it is done.

I am happy to help. When the time is right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast