mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Merry Xmas from Gold Canyon

Santa brought 2 new trails to GC;
    LONGHORN; a new 'up' to Quartz Ridge from the junction of KIKI
    and Old Horse; easy climb to the great 360 views of QR.
    Then, immediately enter 'OWLS NEST' and head West approx 1 mile to join up with the old QR Trail and do it all.

Signage is coming; so is tracking for Trailforks.

Riders needed. Try driving 4.1 miles past Peralta School and turn left; continue 1/2 mile, keeping to the left, and park at the informal pking lot. This is AZ State Trust Land so display their permit on the dash. Then ride OUTER LIMIT to TD, to Old Horse and the KIKI junction.
    Enjoy!
    TS

mtbr member
    Cool. Can't wait to get down there to check things out. Maybe next week. Would have been there yesterday if not for this cold bug I picked up. Merry Christmas.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    TS thanks for the great work you have done at GC. Itís cool that the user built trail haters arenít chiming in with their negative diatribe. Keep those new trail concepts coming.

mtbr member
    Merry Xmas you filthy animals...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Merry Christmas!! Thanks for all you and your crew do at Gold Canyon. It is a great resource.

Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Merry Xmas from Gold Canyon-img_6805.jpg
    Thanks for the cool new trails out there,I thought longhorn had some impressive singage~

mtbr member
    Great day at Gold Canyon yesterday, my first visit. Really enjoyed the K trails and Jodi's Dream. Also did Lost Goldmine and parts of Transition, TD, Diamondback, Mojave, Gila Monster, and a few others I can't recall the names of. 20 miles in all. I think I was the only rider out there, and except for the first mile at either end of LGM very few hikers. Loved the backdrop of the Superstitions and the lush Sonoran vegetation. Nice area, thanks to all who made it happen. Still picking out a few cactus spines, lol.

PS Nothing wrong with user-built trails, Switch. As long as they are built with the permission of the land manager/owner, as I assume these were.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Keep on comin back; bring yer friends; riders needed.
    And appreciate the lovely flora/fauna of this unique section of Sonoran desert that we want to retain in the public domain; to use with restraint, and savour for all time.
    If more riders come, when the AZ Trust has to decide to sell; there could then be a strong voice to urge some preservation.
    cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Keep on comin back; bring yer friends; riders needed.
    And appreciate the lovely flora/fauna of this unique section of Sonoran desert that we want to retain in the public domain; to use with restraint, and savour for all time.
    If more riders come, when the AZ Trust has to decide to sell; there could then be a strong voice to urge some preservation.
    cheers.
    TS
    It's nearly a 3-hour drive one way for me, but I'll be back. I know you said in another post that AZ Trust has to sell to the highest bidder, but is there a precedent for setting aside a percentage of their holdings for open space, preservation, and/or recreation? Would be a shame to lose access to such a nice area. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Better check the rules re: sytate Trust Land; I've been advised that it must sell to highest bid; but SALT thinks they can negotiate with the developer(S) to preserve some. I agree.
    Do some research and post it. Maybe another reader will do also/has done.....
    Cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Velo as usual your assumption is wrong. As I stated previously GC is totally user built for Free by a small group of passionate builders. You really need to understand the PROCESS there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Velo as usual your assumption is wrong. As I stated previously GC is totally user built for Free by a small group of passionate builders. You really need to understand the PROCESS there.
    I get that. Was simply asking whether there was a precedent for some portion of trust land to be set aside for public use in the event this area is sold to developers. Do you happen to know? User built or not, no one will be riding there if it all gets turned into McMansions.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I get that. Was simply asking whether there was a precedent for some portion of trust land to be set aside for public use in the event this area is sold to developers. Do you happen to know? User built or not, no one will be riding there if it all gets turned into McMansions.
    Velo I doubt there would be any precedent that a private entity would buy State Land Trust property and keep the land for a mountain bike park. It just doesn't seem logical that the mountain bike community would be so lucky,

I think the Waltons ( https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ion-can-build/ ) might have the money to by the property, but they seem to like Arkansas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    V; If you want to explore that; Great.
    The SALT (Superstition Area Land Trust) organization has the goal of securing some of the 4000 plus acres when/if it is sold.
    The AZ State Land Trust has specific rules they must follow...on their site.

Meanwhile, we're building sustainable, multipurpose trails that do not diminish the land value, in my opinion.
    Thanks for your interest.
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    TS velo pretends he wants to help out. First of all he hates user created trails. I wouldnít doubt he has contacted the Arizona Highway Patrol about how you and K built all those outstanding GC trails.

If I were you I would look for Arizona Highway Patrol cars driving through the Jeep Roads looking for PASSIONATE trail building types like you and K. Make sure you look for AHP officers on GC TRAILS with their motorcycles looking for

I would definitely be careful when you install the new trail signs. The AHP could have survallence drone out doing videos of you doing installing those FREE cool signs.

mtbr member
    TS velo pretends he wants to help out. First of all he hates user created trails. I wouldnít doubt he has contacted the Arizona Highway Patrol about how you and K built all those outstanding GC trails.

If I were you I would look for Arizona Highway Patrol cars driving through the Jeep Roads looking for PASSIONATE trail building types like you and K. Make sure you look for AHP officers on GC TRAILS with their motorcycles looking for

I would definitely be careful when you install the new trail signs. The AHP could have survallence drone out doing videos of you doing installing those FREE cool signs.
    I see your monthly medical marijuana parcel arrived. That or you sustained a new head injury on one of your unauthorized geezer B lines.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    velo I got some intel today that a dedicated group of two old geezers went out today and did some trail maintenance on several of GCís popular trails. I am sure you think they should be fined and banned from GC for their work. Fortunately all you are going to get to do is COMPLAIN.

mtbr member
    velo I got some intel today that a dedicated group of two old geezers went out today and did some trail maintenance on several of GCís popular trails. I am sure you think they should be fined and banned from GC for their work. Fortunately all you are going to get to do is COMPLAIN.
    Switch, the Black Helicopters are circling your house again and there's a federal agent hiding in the motorcasa. Cameras in the hot tub, too, and your Pivot has a tracker in bottom bracket. Careful out there cowboy.

PS All I get to do is complain? Hardly. I get to ride those trails, too. GC this weekend and Sedona next weekend. Seriously Finch, you're losing it.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Switch, the Black Helicopters are circling your house again and there's a federal agent hiding in the motorcasa. Cameras in the hot tub, too, and your Pivot has a tracker in bottom bracket. Careful out there cowboy.

PS All I get to do is complain? Hardly. I get to ride those trails, too. GC this weekend and Sedona next weekend. Seriously Finch, you're losing it.
    Velo since your coming to ride in Paradise do me a favor and do a ride without riding any of the user created trails. Let us know what your route was, so other riders that donít like user created trails can enjoy a ride on the original system trails.

mtbr member
    Been riding Gold since I moved 2 years ago, FAVORITE in all the valley, love it's rugged, quiet and outstanding trails, thanks for all the good work, each addition is more impressive. I was shocked how buff all the trails were today, someone has really smoothed things out and in the good way with trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Been riding Gold since I moved 2 years ago, FAVORITE in all the valley, love it's rugged, quiet and outstanding trails, thanks for all the good work, each addition is more impressive. I was shocked how buff all the trails were today, someone has really smoothed things out and in the good way with trail maintenance.
    Driver itís pretty amazing what has been accomplished at GC with a few PASSIONATE fellow mountain bikers. It will be a shame to loose that special place in the future, but it is inevitable as the need for more housing moves east. At least the money to buy the land goes to a good cause.