Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

Meet Rita, my new girl

Say hello to Rita, my new ride. She's a big girl -- 3" bigger than I am used to -- but then I hear that riding big girls is where the fun is, right? At least she has only 1 speed, which hopefully means she won't have the temperament of my other girls with many speeds.

Rita is also a redhead, my first. My other girls have all been black, as I am partial to women with darker skin tones. But I figured this time around I needed to try something different...mix it up a bit.

Rita is still a virgin...I haven't thrown a leg over her yet. But I plan on doing so this weekend just to see how she feels.

The general specs on Rita (mix of new and used parts):

Frame - Bianchi Rita 29'er single speed frame (Easton AL)
    Fork - Rock Shox Reba 29'er SL
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail (white)
    Wheelset - Hope single speed hubs laced to Velocity Blunts (big wide mothers)
    Tires - Geax Saguaro (r); Panaracer Rampage (f) -- also have a Weirwolf LT 2.55 and a Exiwolf 2.35 to try out
    Crankset - vintage Kooka forged w/Race Face square taper bottom bracket
    Stem - Ritchey 4-Axis
    Bars - Answer Hyperlite carbon risers
    Post - Thomson
    Saddle - WTB Rocket V Ti
    Headset - Chris King
    Bell - custom ringy-dingy

And here's an amusing (or not so amusing) anecdote related to the bike. My wife, who is also named Rita, came into the garage last night as said to me "what the hell is my name doing on that bike?". She had no idea the bike was actually called "Rita" -- she thought I put her name on it w/custom paint. I kinda sorta bought the bike just because it was named after my wife...but then she sees her name on it and is pissed. I just can't win.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

wrecking crew
    Well, at least you can't complain about not gettin' any from Rita...

Why'd you put sh*tty crapped up pedals on a new blingy bike? Don't be a cheap-ass and go buy some new pedals! ;-)
    Last edited by su.ling~; 11-24-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    ~~~

My other ride is your mom
    she's a beaut Clark

pedaller
    purrrrty!

So you'll be riding Rita & Reba at the same time this weekend!!! Nice!

+1 on the pedals.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Say hello to Rita, my new ride. She's a big girl -- 3" bigger than I am used to -- but then I hear that riding big girls is where the fun is, right? At least she has only 1 speed, which hopefully means she won't have the temperament of my other girls with many speeds.

Rita is also a redhead, my first. My other girls have all been black, as I am partial to women with darker skin tones. But I figured this time around I needed to try something different...mix it up a bit.

Rita is still a virgin...I haven't thrown a leg over her yet. But I plan on doing so this weekend just to see how she feels.

The general specs on Rita (mix of new and used parts):

Frame - Bianchi Rita 29'er single speed frame (Easton AL)
    Fork - Rock Shox Reba 29'er SL
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail (white)
    Wheelset - Hope single speed hubs laced to Velocity Blunts (big wide mothers)
    Tires - Geax Saguaro (r); Panaracer Rampage (f) -- also have a Weirwolf LT 2.55 and a Exiwolf 2.35 to try out
    Crankset - vintage Kooka forged w/Race Face square taper bottom bracket
    Stem - Ritchey 4-Axis
    Bars - Answer Hyperlite carbon risers
    Post - Thomson
    Saddle - WTB Rocket V Ti
    Headset - Chris King
    Bell - custom ringy-dingy

And here's an amusing (or not so amusing) anecdote related to the bike. My wife, who is also named Rita, came into the garage last night as said to me "what the hell is my name doing on that bike?". She had no idea the bike was actually called "Rita" -- she thought I put her name on it w/custom paint. I kinda sorta bought the bike just because it was named after my wife...but then she sees her name on it and is pissed. I just can't win.

Thx...Doug
    Very nice ride, but seriously dude, those pedals have to go. I would not be seen out in public with those pedals.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I am Walt
    Were you high when you decided on aluminum...?
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Were you high when you decided on aluminum...?
    No. If you recall, my original pick was the Niner One-9, which is also aluminum.

Then I got the steel itch and started looking around at steel bikes, and settled on the Sir-9 or Vassago.

But then the steel bikes just didn't "do it" for me (aesthetically). Round skinny tubes. Fairly boring paint jobs. Yawn.

I went back and forth in my head between the One-9 or Sir-9...sexy or practical...and I was gonna pull the trigger on a One-9 or Sir-9...but...

Then I ran across this Rita frame a few weeks ago. It looked bad-ass and I just had to have it. Considering I got the frame for pennies (everything on the bike, including the frame, was purchased for $1100), I figured I couldn't lose.

Thx...Doug

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I figured I couldn't lose.
    Oh, you will...once you ride it at T100...
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Oh, you will...once you ride it at T100...
    Or any other trail in the valley.

FINALLY Dougie. Now go get some dirt on that ho!

Oh, screw everyone on the board....keep the pedals!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

banned
    Are there every any SS specific outings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    We have a few SS specific outings up here in Prescott if that's something you're after. There might be a couple geared bikes in the mix since we don't want to make anyone feel excluded, but it isn't uncommon for us to put together a 10-12 rider group of singlies. Give us a shout if you're interested. Everyone is welcome, but we do have a heavy SS group.

www.ravensingletrack.com

mtbr member
    Cool ride!

I think Aldo from Italy and I may ride T100 tomorrow if you want to get it dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Or any other trail in the valley.
    Ok...time to call BS on the steel vs. aluminum argument. People will blab all day that steel is "softer", but my body can't tell. C'mon -- we're talking nanometers of difference between movement of steel frame vs. any other frame material. I rode a steel hardtail for 5 years before I bought my first aluminum hardtail in 1997. Know what? It made no difference. T100 hurt on both.

The fact of the matter is that the suspension on any hardtail, be it carbon or steel or aluminum or wood or whatever material you want to throw out there, comes from your tires and saddle. Those are the ONLY points on the bike that "give". The frame itself doesn't "give"...all it does is mute (deaden) the vibrations...and on an MTB, those vibrations don't mean sh!t when your bike is getting pounded to death by rocks.

I've also gone down the "steel" vs "aluminum" vs "carbon" debate with the road bike, where there is NO help whatsoever from tires (i.e. frame material has more impact on ride quality than an MTB with big fat tires). I've ridden all 3 materials extensively. And guess what? No difference in "ride quality" except a little less buzziness out of a carbon frame (hence why I ride one). Steel was "whippy", but in a bad way (bottom bracket flex). My back still hurt from all 3 after 5 hours in the saddle.

I'm counting on the big fat 29'er wheels to smooth out the ride. That's why I bought some monstrous WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 baloons (not pictured...but will be on the bike for a test). That will be my suspension, especially at 25psi.

BTW - I'm not saying steel is inferior at all. I'm just saying that it's not "better" than other materials for single-speeding, as some retro-grouches I know (including Walt) want me to believe.

FINALLY Dougie. Now go get some dirt on that ho!
    Ya...this beatch is gonna get a lesson in mud wrestling very soon. She might look pretty now...but I need to teach her when push comes to shove, she needs to know how to throw down. I didn't buy her to look at. I bought her to ride until she gets bow legged.

Oh, screw everyone on the board....keep the pedals!
    Damn right. You've all seen me ride. I destroy pedals. Any new ones I buy will look as bad as these in 5 rides anyway....so I'm sticking with what I know works.

Thx...Doug

Happy trails

very nice ride.

a comment on the tire choices.
    {{I'm counting on the big fat 29'er wheels to smooth out the ride. That's why I bought some monstrous WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 baloons (not pictured...but will be on the bike for a test). That will be my suspension, especially at 25psi.}}
    i have a soul cycles hooligan that's alum frame.
    after running mibros and other tires,i settled on wtb lt 2.55.front and rear at 28 psi.
    the tires really took the edge off.it's in no way a plush ride,just less harsh.biggest ride/handling improvement to far.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    a comment on the tire choices.
    {{I'm counting on the big fat 29'er wheels to smooth out the ride. That's why I bought some monstrous WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 baloons (not pictured...but will be on the bike for a test). That will be my suspension, especially at 25psi.}}
    i have a soul cycles hooligan that's alum frame.
    after running mibros and other tires,i settled on wtb lt 2.55.front and rear at 28 psi.
    the tires really took the edge off.it's in no way a plush ride,just less harsh.biggest ride/handling improvement to far.
    How do you like the handling of the WTB 2.55's? At my weight, I was thinking I could run them all the way down to 25psi to get some added cush...but then I was worried they would be too squirmy. The wide Velocity rims will definitely help fight the tendency for sidewall "rollover" on such a low psi...but to what extent I'm not sure.

Regardless, I thought it would look bad-ass to run such bloaty tires. The Rita frame has a crazy amount of tire clearance -- it looks as if I could fit a 2.7 in there. Now that would be cush.

Thx...Doug

Happy trails
    mine are on rynolites (28 wide) and i've had them down to 25psi,and at MY weight they were squirmy.mine are of the 26" variety.after the FOTP,i'm getting a pair for my 29er.
    the tire change came after pinch flatting the mibro in the rear twice.i got a good deal on a pair.the front holds the corners really well and looks huge out front,adding that little extra mental boost in the loose stuff.have not spun it out yet in the rear.seems to do all i ask them to.i've banged around in the rocks on T100 with no problems so far.i know that area is your tire death march!
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    I think we should set something up in Phoenix.

The Soul Boys in Prescott are a great group to ride with, but tough to get up there all the time.

I rode purely SS and live off of Somo. Would be fun to do some SS rides.

Anyone interested let me know!

Brit.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride by the way.

I ride a Scandium 29er rigid and apart from being a little slow in some rougher descents I have fun wherever I ride!!

I am running a Spec Captain 2.2 in the front which has been taking out some of the sting. Havent tried the Weirwolfs yet, but another rigid rider that I know gave them good remarks.

Hope to see you on the trails sometime!

Brit.

Dave
    Nice ride Doug. If you get rid
    of that Front Rampage let me know I'll buy it from you.

Don't forget your knees, they make for great suspension.

Hey what size is that redhead? 15"
    I need to ride more and work less.

NardoSS
    Kooka cranks...very cool indeed. You'll have to bring your new redheaded woman to the quad this January!

Meh...aluminum is just fine and the bike looks great. The frame red and white goes very well with the wheels and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Nice ride Doug. If you get rid
    of that Front Rampage let me know I'll buy it from you.

Don't forget your knees, they make for great suspension.

Hey what size is that redhead? 15"
    It's a Small, or 17.5". I believe the TT is 23.3...but with the shorter 100mm stem, it feels more upright than the old Trek it replaces (old Trek was 23.3 TT also but had a 120mm stem and a LOW head tube).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Hey Doug,

I hope you don't mind, but I put some new decals on your new bike.

Now your ride has officially been pimped!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Hey Doug,

I hope you don't mind, but I put some new decals on your new bike.

Now your ride has officially been pimped!
    OMG...Sam that is some funny sh!t. I just blew my cereal all over the monitor. That photo is a keeper.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    that is great........

So the first couple times you throw your leg over her and she kicked you right off? Biatch is right.......
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    your gonna shoot your eye out kid
    I spent it all on bikes, beer and wasted the rest of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast