mtbr member
    May 2013

McDowell Sports Loop: Video of Full Loop

I rode McDowell Sports Loop the other day and strapped my GoPro Hero 3 to my chest mount and recorded the whole loop, check it out! I am going to try my helmet mount this Saturday, hopefully that will give a better angle. I forgot that when I stand up it would change the angle of my chest, that's why it's looking low sometimes.

Meatbomb
    my forehead is bleeding

parenting for gnarness
    somewhere a copy of Movie Maker weeps for want of usage

mtbr member
    no knee pads on the sports loop allowed, didn't you read the fine print?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When using the Chesty, you need to mount the camera UP SIDE DOWN, and then use the UP SIDE DOWN mode on the Go Pro. That way you can actually tilt the camera "up". which you can't really do when you mount the camera right side up.

That's how this video was shot....for example...

And I edited it using Movie Maker Live or whatever Microsoft put on my computer. I love to relive my rides, I hours of footge....but most people don't want to see the whole thing.......or your top tube, or knees! But props for posting!!

We need more video, less yapping.....BTW....where has BigOMike been lately? Need some more vids....

"No Clue Crew"
    LOL. Poor guy post one video and gets railed! BigOMike post his 500th of him looking at a obstacle and Kutos fly. ................Drew

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Kudos is the word you're looking for. At least Mike rides ...

The Original Suspect
    I made the same mistake on the first video I made. Too much top tube, not enough trail. To correct this I used an extension rather than mount upside down.

The sport loop is a good testing ground for video skills. Have fun with your new toy. Looking forward to future vids!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I did mount it upside down, and the angle I titled it to looked fine when I was adjusting it standing still. I forgot to compensate for the angle my body goes to when I'm moving. oh well, I'm still testing out the camera, mounts, & software all at once, I just got this thing about 2 weeks ago. Holy **** this is Movie Maker? When I used movie maker it looked even worse than the one I posted in here.... It must be the settings not fitting well into Youtube because my video looks crystal clear.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    LOL. Poor guy post one video and gets railed! BigOMike post his 500th of him looking at a obstacle and Kutos fly. ................Drew
    Oh well, I think I can only go up from here. I'm trying to find the best settings and mounts for when I go out to Greer and do the Sunrise downhill trails. I'm sure I'll have some good crash videos from sunrise because I'm far from the greatest mountain biker in the world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lobos82 View Post
    I'm sure I'll have some good crash videos from sunrise because I'm far from the greatest mountain biker in the world.
    Now we are talking ! and wear the knee pads for that one....

but NO KNEE PADS ON SPORTS LOOP !!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Now we are talking ! and wear the knee pads for that one....

but NO KNEE PADS ON SPORTS LOOP !!!!!!!
    Lol..... Have you been to Sunrise? I'm just hoping my bike will hold up, it's not a downhill bike. From the videos I've seen it doesn't look way too bad, but I may have only seen the easy trails. I'm riding my Trek EX 8 which is my first mountain bike ever, so I'm hoping it doesn't rattle apart or I don't bottom out my shocks or something. If I do destroy my bike I at least hope I can get some high def video of the parts flying off!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    You obviously haven't seen the obstacles that I've failed to clear. They are tough and Kutos-worthy for just looking at them... Plus, have you seen the count on my 2012 Greatest Hits? 15,800 plays. I'm like famous and sh|t thanks to VitalMTB!

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Kudos is the word you're looking for. At least Mike rides ...
    I'm glad someone besides me knows English. And DOH! I do ride, or some semblance thereof...

To the OP: it' almost needs to be at a 45 angle up for a good shot, depending on the trail and your riding style. It can be lower if it's not as aggressive a trail since you won't be as far back and down behind the seat. It takes a couple rides to get it tuned in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lobos82 View Post
    I did mount it upside down, and the angle I titled it to looked fine when I was adjusting it standing still. I forgot to compensate for the angle my body goes to when I'm moving. oh well, I'm still testing out the camera, mounts, & software all at once, I just got this thing about 2 weeks ago. Holy **** this is Movie Maker? When I used movie maker it looked even worse than the one I posted in here.... It must be the settings not fitting well into Youtube because my video looks crystal clear.
    Yeah, check your adjustment while sitting on your bike and holding the handlebars.

The problem with any editing software is that you have to play with the settings when "rendering" the video (saving it under a different format) to make it look good. The raw video always looks better...I still need to tweak my settings.....or get a real editing program. Also, You Tube will only allow you to post at 30fps.....while i usually film at 60fps.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    The problem with any editing software is that you have to play with the settings when "rendering" the video (saving it under a different format) to make it look good. The raw video always looks better...I still need to tweak my settings.....or get a real editing program. Also, You Tube will only allow you to post at 30fps.....while i usually film at 60fps.
    For playing back 30 fps is almost always plenty. I film at 720/60 fps so that I have twice the frames to go slow-mo with. When I export from Vegas Movie Studio it goes always down to 30 fps.

mtbr member
    I just can't seem to make a video that doesn't require motion sickness pills to watch. I have a Contour and have been using the mounts it came with, which is double sided taped to my helmet. I tightened my helmet so much that I probably cut off circulation to my scalp. They sell a ton of other mounts, maybe I should try one of those. Or modify it to mount on the bike somewhere.

Thanks for posting the video. We definately do need more if that. Maybe I'll try to make a mount tonight. I'll be at the McDowells sometime tomorrow morning, so smile for the camera.