Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

McDowell Mountain Park - New Trail

New trail (Escondido) around the east side of Scenic. It is a little raw, kinda like the scenic trail. Not quite as rocky though. I think they did a real nice job of making it interesting.

McDowell Mountain Park - New Trail-escondido.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    New trail (Escondido) around the east side of Scenic. It is a little raw, kinda like the scenic trail. Not quite as rocky though. I think they did a real nice job of making it interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escondido.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	853530
    Wow, and there is even a strava segment for it as well. That's fast work.

Pivotal figure
    Rode it on Saturday, it's fun and twisty but still needs to get packed in a bit (still very raw, loose). It's a nice 8 mile loop if you take Escondido to Cinch and back on Pemberton.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Give it a crank
    Cool, gotta go check it out.

livin' the dream......
    Rand & Co. at the park continue to impress me with a steady release of new, fun trails to ride over the past few years. I look forward to riding this soon!

mtbr member
    I just rode it this morning. This will be a great trail when it packs in and narrows up a bit. They are doing an awesome job out there!!! That park is so badass.

I think there might be close to a 30 mile loop out there now. Sport/Tech/Long to access rd to Pemberton to Dixiemine/Coachwhip back to Pemberton off to Rock Knob back to Pemberton down to Escondido back to parking lot. Plan on riding it this week sometime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Wow, and there is even a strava segment for it as well. That's fast work.
    HA HA, someone is trying to squeeze in some KOM's while they still can.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Rand & Co. at the park continue to impress me with a steady release of new, fun trails to ride over the past few years. I look forward to riding this soon!
    Ditto! If only all park managers were clones of Rand!

The Original Suspect
    I guess I am not as familiar with the area as I thought. Where is the trailhead for this new trail in relation to the sport loops or Pemberton?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I guess I am not as familiar with the area as I thought. Where is the trailhead for this new trail in relation to the sport loops or Pemberton?
    When you go through the pay station instead of turning left to go into the comp loops parking lot turn right into the area typically reserved for horse trailers. Go all the way to the back of this parking lot and you will see it. From there you can do a 9.7 mile CCW loop of Escondido/Pemberton/Scenic/Cinch.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Stumpy View Post
    When you go through the pay station instead of turning left to go into the comp loops parking lot turn right into the area typically reserved for horse trailers. Go all the way to the back of this parking lot and you will see it. From there you can do a 9.7 mile CCW loop of Escondido/Pemberton/Scenic/Cinch.
    Sweet! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sport/Tech/Long to access rd to Pemberton to Dixiemine/Coachwhip back to Pemberton down to Escondido back to parking lot is 28 miles and 2,000 of elevation. Took me a little over 2:20 and was a really good ride. Adding the Rock Knob offshoot would put it over 30. So would going down the Bluff and climbing back up Delsie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McDowell Mountain Park - New Trail-photo.png  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Had a chance to go and check this out. When you put most of the trails together you can get 45.5 + or - 1 out of park trails. I did S/T/L to Pemberton connector (this is the only thing you will touch twice), Pemberton clockwise to Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Pemberton, Boulder, Rock Knob, Pemberton, Bluff, Granite, Delsie, Pemberton, Escondido, connector to Scenic, Scenic counter clockwise, Pemberton back to connector to Long loop, once in parking lot take long loop to your left, do U turn when you reach the long loop where you would turn for tech/long and ride back to parking lot. This again allows for a 45.5 + - 1 ride and you don't touch any trail twice except for the connector of Pemberton and gives you new views the whole ride. I was not doing any land record speeds but it took me 4hrs 11 min. to do this. I had to stop once to adjust me seat. Hope others get to check out the new trail and enjoy the route that I listed.

Meatbomb
    45 miles and only 1 stop... wow.

The Original Suspect
    How would this trail be clock-wise? I wanna ride Pemberton/Dixie/Coachwhip/Pemberton/connector to Escondido.

mtbr member
    Very nice. I really like what the folks at Maricopa County Parks and Rec are doing, and I think McDowell--with its planning, public input, execution, maintenance, and user raves--is fast turning into a sustainable model that can serve on a national level. Bravo MCP&R! I love that this is what my six-buck entry fee facilitates.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How would this trail be clock-wise? I wanna ride Pemberton/Dixie/Coachwhip/Pemberton/connector to Escondido.
    My quick look at the map and math would give you around 27 to 28 miles roughly. It would be a great ride. You can start in two places. Either at 4 peaks parking lot N. of the Competitive track across the road mentioned in an earlier post or at Pemberton. If you start at Pemberton you will go CW -Pemberton, Dixie, Coachwhip, Pemberton, Escondido, Cinch, Scenic (here you can go CW or CCW depending on how you are feeling and if you want extra miles), Pemberton to parking lot. This allows you some miles and will include all MTB skill types of riding. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Very nice. I really like what the folks at Maricopa County Parks and Rec are doing, and I think McDowell--with its planning, public input, execution, maintenance, and user raves--is fast turning into a sustainable model that can serve on a national level. Bravo MCP&R! I love that this is what my six-buck entry fee facilitates.
    GilaMonster - I agree with you. I have purchased my annual pass now for at least 6 years. I remember when no bathrooms/showers were out at the park. I was overjoyed when the showers were put in. It is great to see those dollars go to work. Now if we can just get some of the other County parks to follow suit.

The Original Suspect
    In which direction is the Escondido trail intended to be ridden? I am intending to do the ride stated above but probably end at Four Peaks staging area and ride the road back up to the Pemberton trailhead.

Give it a crank
    There's nothing wrong with riding a trail in both directions at least once.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    There's nothing wrong with riding a trail in both directions at least once.
    I agree.

Some trails are just better in one direction or the other. I am trying to determine what the consensus is of the riders who have ridden this new trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agree.

Some trails are just better in one direction or the other. I am trying to determine what the consensus is of the riders who have ridden this new trail.
    HitmenOnlyInc - I've only rode it one direction and that was N. to S. Not sure how it would be S. to N. but the N. to S. was a nice ride. Escondido in itself can be ridden either direction no restriction on direction. If you plan on ending at 4 Peaks area to but planning to take road back to Pemberton it would be easier for you just to take Cinch back to the Pemberton Parking area via Scenic. That would roughly be 2 to 3 miles of riding and it would be through the flats and you would not have to climb Scenic to get back to the Pemberton Parking lot. I still need to go back out myself and see how Escondido runs S. to N. we will see if anyone has rode it the other way to chime in.

The Original Suspect
    Thanks man! I am not familiar with "cinch" and I don't see it on the map. Is it Shallmo Wash (SH-W)?

mtbr member
    Cinch goes from Scenic down to Escondido.

I have ridden it both directions several times. It's really about the same either direction. It's a little faster from N to S since the first mile (or last if you go from S to N) is slightly downhill.

mtbr member
    Cinch is relatively new as well and not on the map. Cinch connects the Scenic trail to the 4 Peaks overflow lot. Both Cinch and Escondido begin at the north west corner of the lot with Cinch branching off to the left after about 1/2 mile or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast