Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

McDowell Monstercross

Looks like a lot of rides to choose from this weekend, so I’ll throw one more into the mix. I wasn’t going to post this up, but as I started planning the route I thought it would be fun to try and find anyone else who might want to join me on this torturous epic. Hope Dave will forgive me for using his moniker, but this ride is certainly in the spirit of the Monstercross rides he has put together. This ride has been stewing in my mind for over a year, so with the great weather I'm going to do it this Sunday, 11/23, 7:00 AM FIP, starting at Basha's parking lot at Bell Rd and Thompson Peak Parkway in NE Scottsdale. The ride is a Double Bypass Plus, and I figure it will be just shy of 70 miles (mostly dirty), and 2 big climbs/bypasses, (Sunrise and Windgate), and everything in between will be rip-roarin fun.

Route is as follows:
    Basha’s to Gateway Loop
    Gateway Loop to Paradise
    Paradise Trail to Quartz.
    Quartz to Lost Dog.
    Lost Dog to Ringtail.
    Ringtail to Sunrise.
    Up and over Sunrise.
    Connect to Dixie Mine.
    Dixie Mine to Windmill/Coachwhip
    Windmill/Coachwhip to Pemberton
    Pemberton (ccw) to Comp Track connecting via a gated utility road
    Long Loop and Sport Loop
    Back to Pemberton via utility road
    Pemberton (ccw) to Bluff
    Bluff to Granite
    Granite to Pemberton
    Pemberton (cw) to Tonto
    Tonto to Pemberton
    Pemberton (ccw) to Windmill/Coachwhip
    Over Windgate Pass and down Windgate.
    Gateway Loop – Left

Totally self-supported with lots of water available along the way at Hidden Hills TH, Golden Eagle TH, Comp Track TH, and Pemberton Loop TH.

I’m figuring this ride will be around 10 hours and am bringing a light just in case.

WOW, I got even more excited about doing this ride as I wrote this post!

Craig

My other ride is your mom
    dang....that's sure to blow my knee up.....which really intrigues me! So much to choose from....I'll have to make a decision here soon on which ride and on which day. I'll let you know soon.

livin' the dream......
    I am not ready to put all that down in one ride. This will be one for the ages if you can pull it off! Good luck and hopefully you get some takers!

pedaller
    Dang, these "rides" are getting bigger & bigger!

WOW, I got even more excited about doing this ride as I wrote this post!
    I got a little dizzy just reading it...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Dang, these "rides" are getting bigger & bigger!

I got a little dizzy just reading it...
    No kidding! Craig, if you come to your senses and decide you want company (I'm looking forward to see if you'll get many - or any - takers for this one) you are more than welcome to join the fun out at Goat Camp

Tucson, AZ
    The car is up and running....count me in! I don't think I have missed a MCross yet, I would hate to start this weekend.

I will be coming up from the OP if anyone wants a ride. This would be a great recovery ride for anyone doing the Tour the day before. It looks like there is about 10k of climbing in this one compared to the 4k of climbing in the tour. Is that about right Craig, 10kish?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chad - it will be great to have you along. I really haven't calculated the vertical so am anxious to see what the stats are after the ride. If you need a place to stay this weekend we have a spare bedroom.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    No kidding! Craig, if you come to your senses and decide you want company (I'm looking forward to see if you'll get many - or any - takers for this one) you are more than welcome to join the fun out at Goat Camp
    Goat Camp was tempting, but the urge to go loooooooooong is getting too strong to ignore and I really am excited to do this ride. Have fun out there, we'll share notes after the rides.

Craig

mtbr member
    This is a great ride that I do (pretty much... some of the bluff/pemberton stuff is different) when I am not racing. There are some fantastic trails up there and I think you have most of them covered!

One of these years we need to do a grassroots type race out there... Chad, interested in a dirty century race that uses this route, with about 30 extra miles... plus some granite mountain stuff?

My other ride is your mom
    stuttle...count me out....that will blow my knee out...I don't know what came me earlier. have fun and be safe.

What matter where?

one more...

Craig,

I'll be there.

Thanks!

You're (of course) forgiven. Enjoy!

And Chad, you missed the first KMC! And not because of your car!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse

Ooopppps But I did ride some of the course a few days before.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    One of these years we need to do a grassroots type race out there... Chad, interested in a dirty century race that uses this route, with about 30 extra miles... plus some granite mountain stuff?
    Tom, I'd always be interested in having another race. I am trying to add races that have a intermediate option also (to increase participation), so I think a McDowell route will do this great. Want to come ride with us this weekend?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like the way you think. Sounds like Chad's on board also. Should be able to gather some good beta for a future grassroots race. Can you say race down here in AZ? In UT we receive citations when we call it a race.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Da
    I'll be there.
    Great. We have 3, do I hear 4?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse

Thanks Dave. And I was there for the first KMC so we got this MonsterCross thing covered.

pedaller
    Sounds like a PEE - only less cross-dressing and dirtier... (more trail & less canal)

http://phxee.blogspot.com/
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    I am going to be doing a very similar loop this weekend and will be starting with you guys I think... however I am probably only going to do the first part, a loop around pemberton, and then back up and over bell or wingate...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not sure about this yet (awaiting hall pass), but I may join you guys from the start, and I'll turn up Coachwhip to Windgate when you head toward Pemberton. I want to do the Double Bypass, but don't have the time or fitness to do the whole Monstercross. Then again, I'm not that fast, so I might lose you before we get out of the Basha's parking lot - and I'd be OK with that too.

If anyone else wants to do the Double, I know the way....

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    Great. We have 3, do I hear 4?
    Working on convincing a 4th to ride up....

NardoSS
    Last edited by NardoSS; 11-20-2008 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FYI I volunteered for IM the past two years (but not this year) and skipped the volunteer meeting the first year. It may depend on what job you are doing.

Oh, and this ride is Sunday - same day as IM. I can't do Saturday this week.

shortened version

My wife and I are looking for a good ride to do on Sunday and I like the looks of this one - mostly. The time investment (10 hours) is more than we can do this week.

However, I'm thinking this would still be a nice ride if we cut out the middle. Like this:

Basha’s to Gateway Loop
    Gateway Loop to Paradise
    Paradise Trail to Quartz.
    Quartz to Lost Dog.
    Lost Dog to Ringtail.
    Ringtail to Sunrise.
    Up and over Sunrise.
    Connect to Dixie Mine.
    Dixie Mine to Windmill/Coachwhip
    Over Windgate Pass and down Windgate.
    Gateway Loop – Left

This would give us a good ride and would cut out the Pemberton area stuff that I ride all the time (kind of in my back yard).

Would y'all have any objection to us tagging along and then going our way at Coachwhip?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Would y'all have any objection to us tagging along and then going our way at Coachwhip?
    That would be ok with me. Sounds like az_cholla is thinking of the same route you are, and tamen00 another variation, so all in all it looks like there will be a version for anyone wanting to join at the start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast