mtbr member
    Oct 2008

McDowell competition loop times

So I have recently started riding out at the McDowell regional park. I think the competition loops out there are a ton of fun. The long loop is especially sweet. I know that there are competitive races held there, and I was just wondering what some of the faster times are for the various loops. I am not a competitive racer, but I would be very interested in knowing how quickly people can fly down those trails.

Thanks
    Evan

Ahhh the pain....
    Based on the Strava segment, McDowell Mtn Park Sport->Tech->Long Loop, the fastest strava time on the 9.9 mile loop is 36:39.

Strava Segment | McDowell Mtn Park Sport->Tech->Long Loop
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In '08, Geoff Kabush did 3 full laps of the Sport -> Tech -> Long in 1:47:19. It is 35:46 per lap for 3 consecutive laps. That will be a good time to shoot for!

(The Strava segment does NOT include the parking lot section).

mtbr member
    Crap 9.9 miles in 36 mintues... That is 16 mph average... Crap that is fast.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    No doubt, I think it took me 50-55 minutes...., maybe more.

Registered Bike Offender
    My fastest time Sport-Tech-Long is a 42:23. I used to race CAT2, but mostly stick to long endurance races now.
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    My fastest time Sport-Tech-Long is a 42:23. I used to race CAT2, but mostly stick to long endurance races now.
    Yea, me too, I just do Endurance stuff now too, the point series took out the first 5.5 - 6 month of the year, couldnt plan anything, nothing against the points series, I had a lot of fun doing it for a few years, just wanted to be able to vacation when I wanted to.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Crap 9.9 miles in 36 mintues... That is 16 mph average... Crap that is fast.
    That's why he's probably the fastest cross country guy in North America for the last 5+ years. He's from Canada, did you watch the London Olympics back in August? He finished 8th behind a bunch of European riders.

My fastest time for this course was when I was racing CATII in 2009, I did one of my laps in 46 minutes. I finished 18th out of about 25 in my age group (40-49) in that race. So you can see there are lots of people that can tear that course up.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    How come the Europeans are so much faster than us now? Didn't we invent this sport? Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    How come the Europeans are so much faster than us now? Didn't we invent this sport? Just wondering.
    We may have claimed to invent it but I'm sure people were riding bikes on dirt long before
    "mountainbiking" was invented. I know I was. I also think endurance sports in general are more popular in Europe from what I've seen.
    Last edited by SSdirt29; 09-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.

How much further ???
    What up dirt?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    same old... riding everyday , seeking prosperity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Really? Are you asking that? PEDs are just so much easier to get over there.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Really? Are you asking that? PEDs are just so much easier to get over there.
    So, they're a bunch of cheaters without the USDA to come after them and destroy their reputation?

mtbr member
    Cheaters are everywhere, in Europe and in Austin. They just have a bigger pool of cheaters to choose from.

mtbr member
    If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'.
    Bring back the old Avatar!

Happy Trails
    I consider myself an avid recreational rider .... In fair shape for an old guy .... But not an especially fast (or brave) trail rider.... and I go about 56 minutes on Sport-Tech-Long when I am timing it. I finished my last Oly-distance road triathlon at 21 MPH (and top quartile of racers) and can visualize what 24MPHis about ..... But wow... I have a tough time even visualizing sub-40 minutes on the 10 mile loop . Wow.

In the rear with the beer
    I've riding the comp loops a lot and even raced them ....in beginner class and clydesdale, if that tells you anything about me. I think I did a 51 min long loop once, which is my best. I'm pretty happy if I break an hour usually. In events I get passed a lot more than I pass.....

But we should all remember, its not how fast you are, its how much fun you are having!!!

Its the journey, not the destination....so why be in such a hurry to finish the journey! (made that one up myself!)
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Black and Sticky
    On one of the night rides in 2011, I raced around the sport/tech/long to beat a thunderstorm that was moving in. Was surprised to finish in 53 minutes. I'm 56 and my normal recreational pace is more like 60-65 minutes for S/T/L. Besides the fear of getting hit by lightning, I think I was in better than normal shape back then, because I had been doing a lot of road hills training for Tour de Scottsdale. I have heard that world class mountain bikers do most of their training on the road and that experience convinced me it was probably true. Sub 40 is a blinding fast time out there! The comp loops are supposed to be a race course, but they are among my favs for all around trail riding.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Although the comp loops aren't too technical, I think its overlooked that a sub 40 time takes some handling Skills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    Although the comp loops aren't too technical, I think its overlooked that a sub 40 time takes some handling Skills.
    This is absolutely true!

And I love the comp loops. Fun riding for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    Bring back the old Avatar!
    I didt take it away, one of the "Super-Mods" on here did because some guy couldn't find the ignore button. Seems he didn't want his daughter to see my avatar which only shows up when you see my posts. Same Super Mod has a hand reaching towards a young girls butt though. Ahhh, Amerika.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I didt take it away, one of the "Super-Mods" on here did because some guy couldn't find the ignore button. Seems he didn't want his daughter to see my avatar which only shows up when you see my posts. Same Super Mod has a hand reaching towards a young girls butt though. Ahhh, Amerika.
    Ah yes the home school generation being protected from those evil corrupting cartoon boobs.
    Attached Images Attached Images