Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dirt Merchant

McDowell Comp Track Long Loop FYI

As of today, they have reversed the direction to CW for the summer

Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but it's actually a good little ride. The drops are nasty climbs and the south rim is a pain with all the rocks in the trail when your ascending rather than descending.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Need more cowbell
    so....what if you are riding the "outer loop".....sport to tech to long?

Dirt Merchant
    Great question. I was wondering that too, as if your not starting Long from the entrance on the east side of the parking lot, you would have no idea when you connect into Long via the connector trails. The wrong way signs are still in you face as your going through the loop so it's going to be totally confusing for people when they connect in and have someone blasting towards them.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Meatbomb
    if the signs say 'wrong way', your going the wrong way . they need to flip those to make it official.

How much further ???
    Oh the humanity of it all. People riding both directs on a trail. Oh how will it ever work??? dogs and cats living together ..... mass hysteria !!!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the update

livin' the dream......
    Whwn they did this a few years ago, I believe all the loops were reversed. Wonder why they would just do the long loop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    As of today, they have reversed the direction to CW for the summer

Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but it's actually a good little ride. The drops are nasty climbs and the south rim is a pain with all the rocks in the trail when your ascending rather than descending.
    Wait, it's been a while since I've ridden out there. Wasn't it CW before? Or am I thinking of a different trail?
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How would we know what you are thinking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Oh the humanity of it all. People riding both directs on a trail. Oh how will it ever work??? dogs and cats living together ..... mass hysteria !!!!
    It's a RACE COURSE and directional for safety. It's nice not having to worry about oncoming riders while going balls out full speed. I appreciate that about MMCT. Just my 2c.

I am Walt
    I assume that all the Comp Tracks are reversed, if they've reversed the Long Loop...would make zero sense, otherwise.
    Ride more; post less...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    It's a RACE COURSE and directional for safety. It's nice not having to worry about oncoming riders while going balls out full speed. I appreciate that about MMCT. Just my 2c.
    Its intersting because 2 out of the last 3 times Ive riden out there under "normal" riding directions Ive encountered someone riding the wrong way. Luckly we dont have trees here and I was able to see them coming from several hundred yards. I couldnt help but wonder though if I was a racer type if I would have gotten my spandex all in a bunch over it. But alas I am not a racer type and simply moved over a few inches so we could pass.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Need more cowbell
    The last lap of the fat tire 40, they made us ride an additional sport loop backwards...it sucked.....a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Its intersting because 2 out of the last 3 times Ive riden out there under "normal" riding directions Ive encountered someone riding the wrong way. Luckly we dont have trees here and I was able to see them coming from several hundred yards. I couldnt help but wonder though if I was a racer type if I would have gotten my spandex all in a bunch over it. But alas I am not a racer type and simply moved over a few inches so we could pass.
    Well then, if others do it, then it must be acceptable. Because it worked out for you, then it's clearly safe for everyone. Is this your simple logic? I'd pat you on the head and give you a sympathetic smile if you were nearby.

Perhaps when you're faster you'll concern yourself with the safety of others and the rules of a specific race course. I quit this topic and you. Cheers.

wawe member
    I couldnt help but wonder though if I was a racer type if I would have gotten my spandex all in a bunch over it.
    Perhaps when you're faster you'll concern yourself with the safety of others and the rules of a specific race course. I quit this topic and you. Cheers.
    Asked and answered!

How much further ???
    Well then, if others do it, then it must be acceptable. Because it worked out for you, then it's clearly safe for everyone. Is this your simple logic? I'd pat you on the head and give you a sympathetic smile if you were nearby.

Well I would give you a lollipop because someone seems a little grumpy today. Hey Im not the one changing the rules here, the park is. All Im saying is, it isnt the end of the world if for whatever reason, you come across an oncoming rider.

Ah yes the passive agressive, back handed slam to ones ability level which is completely unfounded and baseless. Its an internet classic. Happy Friday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    How would we know what you are thinking?
    That's a loaded question if I ever heard one.

Regarding the course, is the Tech section reversed? I've never bothered to look behind me but the climbs back up the drop I assume are a little loose...

mtbr member
    Interesting. I am looking forward to riding the MM trails CW. Sounds like fun and a nice change.

dirt visionary
    Well I would give you a lollipop because someone seems a little grumpy today. Hey Im not the one changing the rules here, the park is. All Im saying is, it isnt the end of the world if for whatever reason, you come across an oncoming rider.

Ah yes the passive agressive, back handed slam to ones ability level which is completely unfounded and baseless. Its an internet classic. Happy Friday

Agreed
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

I am Walt
    Still a work-in-progress...more than half the riders were going the "wrong way" on the Long Loop this morning.

CoyoteKis and I went out there today to ride three "Outer Loops" (reversed - Long/Tech/Sport). Parked down by the Long Loop start, and ran into SilverSlug, who was just finishing (the "wrong way"...), and he mentioned a testy exchange with another rider who was going the "right" (reversed) way.

But SilverSlug hadn't been aware of the direction change for the Long Loop, as they started on the Sport Loop, and did the "usual" Sport/Tech/Long Outer Loop. While the start of the Long Loop has a big Stop sign, and a note that indicates the direction change, there was no signage at the beginning of the Sport Loop, nor at the intersections of the Sport/Tech and Tech/Long.

It became evident, as Deanna and I passed a number of riders going the "wrong" way on the Long Loop, that most riders were doing the "usual" Outer Loop, had parked at the west end of the lot, by the restrooms, and had no idea that the Long Loop (only) was reversed. We spoke with one rider, who was going to go up to the Visitors Center to tell the park right away. Again, most of the riders had no idea...

After we finished, we saw a park truck pull in, and go up to the Sport Loop start. I rode up there, and it turned out to be Rand, the park supervisor (I think), and who is a real advocate of mountain bikers. Rand had heard the feedback, and was posting a warning sign at the start of the Sport Loop. I spoke with him, and I believe that Rand is going to flip the Sport Loop also. He may not flip the Tech Loop, but will make the section that makes up part of the Outer Loop a temporary two-way section, as most/many riders want to be able to do the Outer Loop.

Rand also pulled out a map, and described many other mountain bike trails that the park will be building in the near future, both off the Comp Tracks (off the south side of the Long Loop, specifically) and off of Pemberton. He is a really good guy.

Oh, Deanna and I also met SixSixtySix and cesslinger, on their Soul Cycles...great guys, and it was good meeting you both! As promised, we won't tell any of your gravity peeps that you both were on 29'ers, on XC trails...

I'm sure the traffic flow will smooth out in the next week or so...
    Ride more; post less...

Need more cowbell
    We had a good sized group leave at 6:30ish from the lot. Did a sport loop, then a tech to long to Pemberton, Scenic, etc....going the "traditional" CCW direction.

Everybody else I saw was doing it the same way...didn't see any warning signs yet, so I figured maybe they weren't going to reverse it anymore.

Could you imagine climbing a loose T-Bone ridge on the tech loop....backwards?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Oh, Deanna and I also met SixSixtySix and cesslinger, on their Soul Cycles...great guys, and it was good meeting you both! As promised, we won't tell any of your gravity peeps that you both were on 29'ers, on XC trails...
    You shouldn't tell stories.

******ed or Branded??
    oh, deanna and i also met sixsixtysix and cesslinger, on their soul cycles...great gheys, and it was good meeting you both! As promised, we won't tell any of your gravity peeps that you both were on 29'ers, on xc trails tummysticking!...

ftfy

It's a slugfest!
    ..ran into SilverSlug, who was just finishing (the "wrong way"...), and he mentioned a testy exchange with another rider who was going the "right" (reversed) way.....

Testy exchange!

Most of that talk was just posturing … you know…in front of D....like those black birds puffin’ their feathers out and all….

This was the “testy exchange”:

Rider Climbing: So did you guys come in on the “connector trail or something?”
    Me: silent, because my mind could not fathom what he was asking me….
    Me: (30 seconds later after the rider had passed) That guy was a doofus!
    Rider in our group behind me: What did you say Steve?
    Me: Nothin’

His question makes a lot more sense now.

That would suck if they flip the sport loop. I take my kids (friends and newbies) out there and they enjoy the swoopy, flowy, feel of that trail CCW. Doubt very much they will enjoy the climbing aspect of the sport loop CW. The swoopy experience, without a ton of climbing, is perfect for creating a positive experience for them without burning them out…dang....
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
    Testy exchange!

Most of that talk was just posturing … you know…in front of D....like those black birds puffin’ their feathers out and all….
    lol
    Well, I was impressed. You could cut the testosterone with a knife! All ya'll were missing, were spears and loincloths.

The swoopy experience, without a ton of climbing, is perfect for creating a positive experience for them without burning them out…dang....
    I have to agree. If they switch it, I'm done there for the season. As it is, riding the long loop reversed, felt like wearing my chonies backwards. Wasn't likin' it. Dang, is right!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast