Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Woof Woof

MBAA Sierra Vista race

Can anyone comment on this course? I was thinking about going down for this one,but it kinda of a long way. Was wondering if would be worth the travel and time.

Thanks.
    Be Good Or Be Good At It.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojodog
    Can anyone comment on this course? I was thinking about going down for this one,but it kinda of a long way. Was wondering if would be worth the travel and time.

Thanks.
    Do you have details on where exactly it is? Is this on the base? If so, I raced it maybe 6 of 7 years ago, and the course is hella fun. In fact, that season, it was the most fun race I did (but back then, I think all the races were in Phoenix). I don't remember too many specifics, other than it's a pretty tight, flowy course. From what I remember, not a heck of a lot of places to pass.

Are you coming from Phoenix? If so, and if you have not been to that part of the state, I'd highly recommend. It's a really unique part of the state, especially driving through the Dragoons.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Woof Woof
    I'm pretty sure it's @Fort Huachuca. If there are using the same course as a few years back.
    Be Good Or Be Good At It.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure it's @Fort Huachuca. If there are using the same course as a few years back.
    Then I'd recommend it. We stayed on Sierra Vista Friday night (I think it was a Days Inn, and rooms were dirt cheap), and ate at this Chucky Cheese wannabe pizza joint. Getting on base was pretty easy--had to sign in with the MPs--and this was post 9/11.

But like I said, the course was really a lot of fun. I raced 1+ seasons, and pretty much hated it (by nature, I'm very non-competitive). This was by far the most fun I had at any of the races, mostly because of the actual course.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Tucson, AZ

Thanks.
    Totally worth it. The 6 hour drive time is nothing compared to the 1-2 hours of fun you will have riding in circles!

mtbr member
    Cool!!! it is nice to see you are coming around and getting back into riding circles!! WOOO HOOO!!!!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Cool!!! it is nice to see you are coming around and getting back into riding circles!! WOOO HOOO!!!!
    ....and SS rigid while doing circles too. I moved away from circles b/c I quickly realized (after doing my first and last MBAA/Dust Devil) race that I am not very fast.

Yeah for circles....see you Saturday

mtbr member
    Is there a map anyone?

Interesting year esp with the results and the rankings moving up and down.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Totally worth it. The 6 hour drive time is nothing compared to the 1-2 hours of fun you will have riding in circles!
    I suppose I will have to stock up on dramamine...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    http://www.dawntodustmountainbikeclub.org/

Race course info here, along with maps, etc. If you come down stay an extra day and ride some of the other trails in the area.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I started to pre-ride this last Friday but got 3 miles in and my rear derailuer busted.

But I liked the course enough from what I saw of it that I returned last Sunday. I also plan to return this Saturday.

I LOVE this course. I mean McDowell is fast and fun but this trail is what mountain biking is all about.

There is a pretty long climb at the beginning but you are rewarded with some great downhill. The black loop has some additional climbing and a really sweet technical spot that will separate the men from the boys. Beginner's dont have to do this portion of the black loop. They also were wise enough to cut out a section at the top of the first long climb that I don't think anybody would be able to climb and it would have been a big bottle neck.

The trail is at about 4200 feet so there are nearly no cactus and there are some mythological things called "Trees".

The trail is marked with all the MBAA arrows for the green, red, and black loops. I think they ran out of markers though because towards the end everyone is on the black trail and that is all they used to mark it.

Part of it is jeep trail so there are plenty of places to pass, especially in the beginning which is good. You can get the map and lap counts on the MBAA site.

Can't say enough good things about this trail. It has been added to my rotation of places to ride in the Tucson area. It is worth the drive.

Make sure you bring a valid drivers license, registration and insurance to get onto the military base.

Also a light jacket might be needed if you are there early.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    kaizer,I have a hardtail 29er and a full suspension,which do you think would be better

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hrmm, tough call. I was on my 26 full suspension and my friend was on his 29er hardtail.

Couple of questions...

What category are you planning on racing? If you have to do the full black loop a full suspension might be the way to go because of the technical part.

Did you ride the Sonoita race last year at Gardner Canyon? The terrain is similar to that but a tad rougher.

There aren't any tight switchbacks so you don't have to worry about the slower steering of a 29er.

I have been drinking a lot of the 29er Kool Aid lately (still want/need? to get one) but if had both I would pick a 29er hardtail with tubeless tires and run the rear at about 25psi and the front at about 30.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    cat 2,one loop of each,I will take both bikes and preride it on fri,thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Also, once you get on base let them know you are heading to the Wren Horse Arena. Once you get there look for a pole with some bike frames stuck to it near the horse area. That is where the trailhead starts.

Salty Dog

Not sure what I did....

Quote Originally Posted by KaizerSozay
    Also, once you get on base let them know you are heading to the Wren Horse Arena. Once you get there look for a pole with some bike frames stuck to it near the horse area. That is where the trailhead starts.
    Kaizer, please check out my Motion Based route from today and tell me what part of the course you think I DID NOT ride.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=7771712

Not sure how I missed part of it, but it seems I did.

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member

Impressed

Went and pre-rode this weekend. That is a sweet bunch of typical southern AZ riding; nearly everything is loose (rocks, soil and sand), hard steep climbs, gnarly tight descents (at least for the expert/sport course). Better take some air out of the tires and set up for somewhat plush suspension. The tech section is a wicked ride down a jagged rock face: We will not be wanting for adrenalin.

Nice to see a mountain bike race that approximates actually mountain biking conditions (I can already hear the roadies groaning...)

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Kaizer, please check out my Motion Based route from today and tell me what part of the course you think I DID NOT ride.

Tommy
    Yo Mr. Dog,

What did you think of the course? How does the tech compare to Estrella? I will be coming down Friday pulling my travel trail. How does the camping area look? I hope to get there early enough to get in at least one lap on Friday afternoon. It should be a good time. I値l look forward to seeing you there. I think you and me are the only team DNA that are going to make this race. I知 guessing this will be a lightly attended race, but it値l prolly be the slow guys that stay home.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Tommy
    Hrmm...Looks pretty close to me. The only spot it looks like you missed is the shortcut from the red/black to the green loop. It is that bit in the middle of your diagram that juts out. Probably best to compare it to the map on the MBAA website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion
    Went and pre-rode this weekend. That is a sweet bunch of typical southern AZ riding; nearly everything is loose (rocks, soil and sand), hard steep climbs, gnarly tight descents (at least for the expert/sport course). Better take some air out of the tires and set up for somewhat plush suspension. The tech section is a wicked ride down a jagged rock face: We will not be wanting for adrenalin.

Nice to see a mountain bike race that approximates actually mountain biking conditions (I can already hear the roadies groaning...)

Amen to all of this. This puts the "Mountain" back into the races. My buddies and I are predicting that a lot of the roadie sand baggers ***** about this course.

Low pressure is the way to go on the tubeless tires. I still think it is doable on a 29er hard tail if you got tubeless. The tech section is not too bad as long as you don't let it get inside your head.

Salty Dog

Hey Dave....

Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Yo Mr. Dog,

What did you think of the course? How does the tech compare to Estrella? I will be coming down Friday pulling my travel trail. How does the camping area look? I hope to get there early enough to get in at least one lap on Friday afternoon. It should be a good time. I値l look forward to seeing you there. I think you and me are the only team DNA that are going to make this race. I知 guessing this will be a lightly attended race, but it値l prolly be the slow guys that stay home.
    I like the course as compared to Estrella, but Estrella is my least favorite course so pretty much anything will be better, in my mind.

The road climbs are a combination of sand (yes, sand), rock gardens and ruts, will the road descents having the same treatment. I liked the black portion of the course. Lots of single track and some techy nasty stuff to keep you from thinking of that date long ago when you were SO CLOSE and the phone rang and it was her former boyfriend wanting to get back together. You know that one? I think most of us have been there. Oh well.

Some fun, tight single track climbs and drops here and there and it seems there is a conveniently placed yucca at the outside of many hard turns.

Someone commented about a 29er being ok since there are no tight switchbacks. That seems odd to me. I do the tight switchbacks on my 29er all the time, right with the 26ers. Funny stuff.

I haven't yet decided for sure if I'm going for the race. The jury (wife) is still out on this one. She may have a better offer to entice me to stay home . You know how the ladies can change your mind for you. Has something to do with working on the little brain.

It looks like lots of camping room on the NORTH side of the road directly across from Wren Arena. If the gate guards tell you to go the Garden Canyon, that is a NO. Just follow the signs to the Buffalo Corral turn off and then continue on the main road for a 1/4 mile and Wren Arena will be on your left.

Have fun, go fast, be safe, rubber side down - always!

T.

mtbr member
    29ers typically have a longer wheel base, which makes tight turns harder to negotiate (think about how easy it is to make tight turns on a BMX bike). So either your 26 friends have larger bikes, or you have better skills!

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by KaizerSozay
    Amen to all of this. This puts the "Mountain" back into the races. My buddies and I are predicting that a lot of the roadie sand baggers ***** about this course.

Low pressure is the way to go on the tubeless tires. I still think it is doable on a 29er hard tail if you got tubeless. The tech section is not too bad as long as you don't let it get inside your head.
    If your thinking that most of the fast guys that race in the MBAA are roadies who come out to ride fast on smooth dirt tracks, than you will be surprised at how fast these "roadies" will fly over the "Mountain" sections that you think are so difficult. I'm not saying that this is not a good course with lots of challenging sections, but no one racing sport or above will be too taken aback by this course. That being said I’m not one of the fast guys in sport, yet I’m very much looking forward to a rugged course. Hope to see you there.
    Last edited by surfndav; 03-13-2009 at 07:43 AM.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

Salty Dog

It's all about the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion
    29ers typically have a longer wheel base, which makes tight turns harder to negotiate (think about how easy it is to make tight turns on a BMX bike). So either your 26 friends have larger bikes, or you have better skills!
    Thanks, Pin. Your point is valid. I have found I need to adjust my angle of attack to switchbacks about an inch inside the line I would have taken with a 6er wheel. Not much difference, really. I'm an intermediate technical rider. Nothing fancy, but I can see my way through most nasty stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Pin. Your point is valid. I have found I need to adjust my angle of attack to switchbacks about an inch inside the line I would have taken with a 6er wheel. Not much difference, really. I'm an intermediate technical rider. Nothing fancy, but I can see my way through most nasty stuff.
    Sounds like a good idea, I will have to keep that in mind. I find my 29er just a little less maneuverable on the tight stuff, but the way it holds its momentum and rolls over stuff more than makes up for it. The hardtail can hurt my back though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast