Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides

Anybody know how difficult it is to preride the Sierra Vista course? Last time I did the race, I prerode the Friday before the race. Was planning on going down next weekend to ride it, but wasn't sure if it was easy to get on base. Anybody have any beta? Anybody going down next Saturday?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"Yabut"
    From what I understand, it's easy to get on base. You just show your drivers license at the gate, and tell them you're going to the race course.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Ridin bikes is fun
    Make sure your registration is up to date and have proof of insurance with you.

Monocog Masher
    No problem getting on post as long as you have your driver's license, registration, and insurance. Most of the time they will just wave you through when you show your ID. Just don't get caught talking on your phone while driving on fort.

While you are in Sierra Vista, take an hour and ride Brown Canyon Trail. Don't do the loop that it published in the books and on the internet. Incorporate the Garden Canyon Trail, which starts at Hwy 92 and Buffalo Soldier Trail. The trail is way nicer than the race course at Wren Arena. If you want I can send you a map or GPS file or depending on when you are town I could probably even ride it with you.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    While you are in Sierra Vista, take an hour and ride Brown Canyon Trail. Don't do the loop that it published in the books and on the internet. Incorporate the Garden Canyon Trail, which starts at Hwy 92 and Buffalo Soldier Trail. The trail is way nicer than the race course at Wren Arena. If you want I can send you a map or GPS file or depending on when you are town I could probably even ride it with you.
    I would appreciate that GPS file. Thanks!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    I plan on preriding the course this Saturday, just not sure yet what time I'll get down there. I'd appreciate the MAP of the other ride as well.

mtbr member
    I thought I heard an add on the radio yesterday for a collegiate radio this weekend at Wren Arena. Trails would be clear but traffic and parking could be a bit busy.
    Cheers,
    M

Monocog Masher

Brown Canyon Trail

Here are some maps of the trail to help describe the route and variations. You can download the GPX or Google Map file from this Garmin Connect link.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26031432
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides-brown-canyon-route-1-copy.jpg  

MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides-brown-canyon-route-2-copy.jpg  

MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides-brown-canyon-route-3-copy.jpg  

MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides-brown-canyon-route-4-copy.jpg  

MBAA Race 4--Sierra Vista prerides-brown-canyon-alternate-routes-copy.jpg  

Lurky Lou
    I'd be interested in a pre-ride next weekend if it was on a Sunday.

Aren't the race courses usually marked a week before the event?

mtbr member
    I'm trying to preride next sunday after im done at the tucson bike classic
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Monocog Masher
    I'm gonna preride it on tomorrow and maybe again on Saturday. I'll let you know if it's marked. There is a rodeo there this weekend so there will be a lot of people milling about.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Anybody know how difficult it is to preride the Sierra Vista course?
    Easy to get on base as long as your ID and car registration.

If you are not a US citizen be sure to bring your Green Card and Passport. Last year I rode the course and on my way back to Tucson, there was a Border Patrol checkpoint. Even though I didn't cross any borders, they gave me a hard time because I didn't have my passport.

They let me back into AZ, even though I never left.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

There's always an angle

Info about the course?

Does any one have some insight on the Ft Huachucka course? Perhaps based on your pre rides? I found a previous link on last year's course. Not sure if any of it still applies:

MBAA Sierra Vista race

What do the technical sections look like? Climbs? Does the course resemble any of the Phoenix MBAA courses?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Kid
    Does any one have some insight on the Ft Huachucka course? Perhaps based on your pre rides? I found a previous link on last year's course. Not sure if any of it still applies:

MBAA Sierra Vista race

What do the technical sections look like? Climbs? Does the course resemble any of the Phoenix MBAA courses?
    What division are you in? I haven't looked specifically at what divisions do what. For my division, SS novice, I do 3 5-mile laps. Lap 1 is slightly different than laps 2 and 3. All laps start out with about a 2-2.5 mile gradual climb up a forest road, which can get steep and loose in some places. Very wide, so passing is done here. This is followed by about 2.5-3 miles of very fun, sweeping, tight single track, with small fire road sections thrown in.

In general, not as rocky as the Phoenix courses, but just as technical. The one thing is that there are about 3-4 water crossings per laps, so the chain got gunked up pretty quickly. I'm going to use White Lightening for the race.

There's always an angle
    I was interested in the CAT2 course, which looks to have now changed from last time I looked. Now its 2 Coyote and 1 Bobcat? In last years write up, they wrote about a pretty knarly downhill technical section. I will probably have to ride the course without a pre-ride, so I am just trying to get a feel for any technical parts that I need to be aware of. Where do they occur and how extreme are they (compared to Phoenix stuff). I'm not that technical of a rider, so its a real bummer when those types of sections show up on a course I haven't riden before.

mtbr member
    I was interested in the CAT2 course, which looks to have now changed from last time I looked. Now its 2 Coyote and 1 Bobcat? In last years write up, they wrote about a pretty knarly downhill technical section. I will probably have to ride the course without a pre-ride, so I am just trying to get a feel for any technical parts that I need to be aware of. Where do they occur and how extreme are they (compared to Phoenix stuff). I'm not that technical of a rider, so its a real bummer when those types of sections show up on a course I haven't riden before.
    I didn't do the race last year, but yes it's 2 coyote and 1 bobcat. The difference is that for the coyote, it's a longer climb, and I'm assuming this "gnarly" dowhnill tech section. It's all 100% ridable, and I'd compare this gnar to maybe some of the stuff in Estrella.

The "gnar" starts after the long climb in the elevation map here:
    http://www.mbaa.net/index.php?option...=253&Itemid=35

Monocog Masher
    I have ridden the course plenty and I don't really know of any "down hill" section that is particularly "gnarly". I thought the tech loop at White Tanks and second half of the loop at Estrella are tougher technical sections than anything on Wren. What makes the Wren course hard is the tough climb that you have to do three times during the race (for cat 2).

Ridin bikes is fun
    I rode CAT 2 last year and this course had the most climbing per mile of the series at almost 200' per mile. At the same time it was the shortest course we did. At the start you get a 1.6 mile uphill that gains over 300' elevation and you get to do it 3 times for CAT 2. The downhill that follows is fast and fun, only a little bit of tech but fast and fun. the total elevation gain is over 2400' for 13.3 mile course. This was my favorite race last year, I'm not going to make it this year, but I hope it is a regular course for this series. Have fun.

mtbr member
    This will be my first time racing this track, CAT 3. Define tech because tech could be anything. Also is the climbing similar to Prescott?
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino
    This will be my first time racing this track, CAT 3. Define tech because tech could be anything. Also is the climbing similar to Prescott?
    It's not a sidewalk.

I mean, come on, it's mountain biking. It's all 100% ridable, so it's not over the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    It's not a sidewalk.

I mean, come on, it's mountain biking. It's all 100% ridable, so it's not over the top.
    Completely understand the mountain bike part. Unfortunately I donít have the bandwidth to pre-ride the course thus, I just wanted to visualize it and setup expectation mentally.
    www.StudioDino.com

There's always an angle

mtbr member
    Dino,

In my opinion, it's less tech than Estrella. There are a few short rocky sections, but not quite as techy as some stuff on the back side of estrella. I haven't raced Prescott, so can't really compare the two. There is a long steady climb at the start, probably around a mile with a steep pitch at the end. Then there are a few short but steep climbs later in the course. The trail itself is littered with small rocks. I only remember a few short sections that were smooth. We prerode 2 weekends ago and I took my hardtail. Decided to race the full suspension! It's pretty much up and down the entire time, not a lot of flat sections.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Now that's more like it. Thanks!
    www.StudioDino.com

mtbr member
    Now that's more like it. Thanks!
    I don't think this shows the "gnar" section that the Cat 2s and beyond do (Dino, this IS the loop Cat 3s do). At the 4:30 mark on this video, instead of going straight, you take a sharp left and ride up about another quarter mile, and then along the hill, followed by kind of steep downhill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast