Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

MBAA #4 Sierra Vista Foray at the Fort

Wondering who is heading south to take in a lil racing at the Fort?
    We'll be timing as usual...hope you guys are digging the lap splits.

REMINDER - to bring your insurance card for your vehicle and ID as this is on a military base.

Also - Sunday - SUPER D! Check it out...details on the webpage.

Side note we have been updating the site furiously lately, we'll get final details on remaining races up ASAP...registration IS open...deals being finalized NOW...thanks for your support of the MBAA!

mtbr member
    Definately. Love the course, looking forward to riding on something other than the desert!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99erz
    Wondering who is heading south to take in a lil racing at the Fort?
    We'll be timing as usual...hope you guys are digging the lap splits.

REMINDER - to bring your insurance card for your vehicle and ID as this is on a military base.

Also - Sunday - SUPER D! Check it out...details on the webpage.

Side note we have been updating the site furiously lately, we'll get final details on remaining races up ASAP...registration IS open...deals being finalized NOW...thanks for your support of the MBAA!
    Not racing this year, but this is by far my favorite event of the series.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I'll be there, first time around.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Monocog Masher
    Prerode the course over the last two weekends. It's still pretty rough. Not nearly as in good shape as last the year on the weekend before the race. Lots of horse traffic on the course has chewed it up good. If it isn't any better by this weekend it will be technically challenging for a lot of people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will be there too-first timer on this course with no pre-ride. Should be interesting. Can it be pre-ridden on Friday afternoon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Friday afternoon prerides are always a good thing. Course is marked and ready to go.

There was a big college rodeo down there three weeks ago that's where a lot of the horse traffic came from. Definitely a course that will keep you on your toes.

mtbr member
    See you guys there, we'll be there with our crew from Tribe Multisport.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slugobikes
    Friday afternoon prerides are always a good thing. Course is marked and ready to go.

There was a big college rodeo down there three weeks ago that's where a lot of the horse traffic came from. Definitely a course that will keep you on your toes.
    Do we just go to the gate for the base and they will let us in to ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the mbaa.net website...

Allow yourself plenty of extra time day of race to get through security at the Fort. Please watch your speed on the base. There is a strong military police presence and you will be ticketed for speeding!

Racers need to Bring ID, current registration and insurance for vehicles. 12 years old and older are required to have an ID Card.

Just tell the guards you are going to Wren Arena to pre-ride the race course. We ride on the Fort quite often and it's never an issue.

mtbr member

Camping?

From the MBAA website:

"*UPDATE* Camping will be FREE on the South Side of Canelo Road. There are to be no riders, parking, or camping on the North side as it is reserved for horseback riders this weekend. Camping also available (for small fees) at the MWR RV parks on FH."

So is this the race course/event/start/finish side of the road, or the opposite?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    From the MBAA website:

"*UPDATE* Camping will be FREE on the South Side of Canelo Road. There are to be no riders, parking, or camping on the North side as it is reserved for horseback riders this weekend. Camping also available (for small fees) at the MWR RV parks on FH."

So is this the race course/event/start/finish side of the road, or the opposite?
    It's the venue side.

mtbr member
    What is everybody riding? I can't decide between my 29er Hardtail or my 26 FS???? Last year I raced on my 29er FS. I don't have that bike anymore. I can't really remember how rough the course is. ..........

mtbr member
    course is pretty smooth... a hardtail works great!

mtbr member
    I rode it on a 26er HT last year. Was good on the climbs, but didn't feel like I could let it hang out on the DH.

I'm on a 26 FS this year and while it's quite fast in the DH, I gave up a little in the climbs.

I think I'll try a 29er HT next year, might as well run the table!

mtbr member
    You'll want the advantage on the climb as opposed to the DH sections as you can make up more time going uphill than you ever could going down hill.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with my Niner SS.......it should be brutal.....

mtbr member
    Soooo..."There are to be no riders, parking, or camping on the North side as it is reserved for horseback riders this weekend...?" Are we going to be dodging equestrians out on the course?
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm guessing that's a fully rigid SS?? You SS guys are brutal. You make me feel like a wimp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirebliss
    Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with my Niner SS.......it should be brutal.....
    Becky you're gonna rock that course!!

mtbr member
    Not fully rigid here......tried it and hated it! This will only be my second race on a SS. I don't expect too much! Thanks Phil btw...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This was the most awesome race. Great race. Great venue. This is a true mountain bike course. What an amazing course. I can't wait to go back. Sun N Spokes did a great job. The timing people were great. Thanks to all the volunteers! I had such a wonderful time.

mtbr member
    Great job to mike and the gang for putting on a great race! It's turning out to be a great series and will be even better next year.

And to the guy in the orange and blue jersey who got a little too impatient with my female racer friend in the pink Tribe Women's/Jobing.com kit, if you read and post here, you need to learn some passing etiquette. Learn it before Prescott because if it happens again to my friend or the other girl in pink (my wife), I'll personally show you how not to pass WHEN I catch up to you.

Other than that, good times!!

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Super fun event and course - Awesome job to MBAA, The HUB timing group, and all the volunteers. Easily my second favorite course (right behind Estrella) in the series. Looking forward to the rest of the races this year!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great event although I wish the turnout were better. I am sure the economy and gas prices hurt that a good deal. Well, maybe I shouldn't whine about turnout too much given that I didn't best my time (18 seconds slower actually) from last year but went from 7th to 2nd so WOOHOO!! I did pace myself perfectly meaning I never suffered much and never had to stop/walk any of it. I just need to go faster apparently. I did learn that globe's event will have a section labeled the "separator" that is a 4/10ths of a mile climb at 24% grade. I get the feeling I will be walking some of that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast