Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008

    MBAA in 2014-Who's in?

    So it has been since 2006 since I have raced (except for Fire on the Rim this year) and I have been convinced to race again next year.

    I will be racing Singlespeed and have a goal of top 5 for the season. Anyone else racing this year? I was thinking of creating a loose group of us that are to do weekend training/ fun rides with maybe a "host" kind of deal. Who is in?
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  2. #2
    SCRUBDUNKER
    Reputation: razardica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    242
    I'll probably do most of them except for the faraway ones (Sierra Vista, Flagstaff). I will also most likely be doing them in the singlespeed category. I am slow though.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008
    Raz- let me know if you want a ride to the farther races. I am totally basing my Top 5 for the year in SS on the fact that only about 7 will show for the last 3 races! Make it tougher on me. Oh- I must warn you I will be camping with the Vassago crew, so expect some barley pops to be drank and seriously delinquent 12 year old humor to happen. But we will race bikes when we aren't having fun!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  4. #4
    Addicted to 2 wheels
    Reputation: SugarHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    297
    I will likely do the first race at McDowell. Not sure about the others. I will play oit by ear. Vassago crew sounds good though.

  5. #5
    SCRUBDUNKER
    Reputation: razardica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    242
    cstem, maybe I will take you up on that.

    I plan on having a Vassago for the upcoming season, so that's probably a good fit.

  6. #6
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    228
    I'm in. Either Cat3 50+, or singlespeed for a longer race. I'm in the super slow league!
    Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association - Join Today!
    IMBA Chapter serving the communities of the North Phoenix Valley

  7. #7
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    904
    I'm in for at least a few...

  8. #8
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,501
    I've been thinking about giving MBAA a go again after sitting the past few years out. Thinking Cat. 2 or trying Marathon.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    465
    in for a couple earlier in the season. most likely cat 2

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    145
    I was thinking about trying out the mbaa series this year but I am unsure on what is required to join the races. do we need to be members of mbaa? anything else or just sign up for each individual race? I am new/slow so i will be going for the "beginner" category
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PhxBenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    190
    Will be doing Singlespeed, as many as I can make it to, which is most.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by zblee View Post
    I was thinking about trying out the mbaa series this year but I am unsure on what is required to join the races. do we need to be members of mbaa? anything else or just sign up for each individual race? I am new/slow so i will be going for the "beginner" category
    Looks like an MBAA membership is all that is required. They used to offer one day memberships IIRC- but maybe that was USAC (which is no longer required-YEAH!)

    They also used to have a first timer class. Here is a link to the rule book and I would contact them with specific questions. http://mtnbaa.files.wordpress.com/20...ules-final.pdf
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    cstem, maybe I will take you up on that.

    I plan on having a Vassago for the upcoming season, so that's probably a good fit.
    Which Vassago? If you are looking at Jabbers- you can try mine to see if you love it (you will).
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Looks like an MBAA membership is all that is required. They used to offer one day memberships IIRC- but maybe that was USAC (which is no longer required-YEAH!)

    They also used to have a first timer class. Here is a link to the rule book and I would contact them with specific questions. http://mtnbaa.files.wordpress.com/20...ules-final.pdf
    Well that is why I am asking here . I emailed them a couple of weeks ago with these same questions and I have not heard back...

    It appears that they changed up their website from the last time that I was browsing it , probably a year ago. I am unable to find an area to sign up as a MBAA member. I only see sign ups for each race.

    Is there a place on their website to become a member that I perhaps overlooked?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008
    Z- Found this "New for 2014: only one entry fee (no MBAA membership and USAC one-day license fee anymore)" when clicking the registration tab. Kind of different than it was when I raced with them last (2006) and maybe a little confusing too. But there you go and hope to see you out there!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Twowheelchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    96
    I'll be back since my daughters are racing. I'm going to try to do more of the AES, Whiskey 50, 24 HITOP and other endurance events too so I won't be gunning for any podiums in MBAA this season. Just going to have fun and be social. After coaching a NICA team this summer and fall I'm a bit burned out now. I haven't been on a bike in weeks. I'll race either Cat 2 50+ again or maybe marathon. I'd like to try marathon but I'd probably get tired of going around in circles on some of those courses.

    For anybody sitting on the fence I suggest you go for it. It is a great social event with fun people on bikes. Well organized and friendly. Don't worry about winning or beating so-and-so just race and hang out. I never get all the roadie types who show up an hour before they race then split immediately after. The fun is had before and after the race.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    982
    I was on the fence about racing this year after life took over instead of finishing the series. I podiumed at the McDowell race in old man Cat2 and then got sick ,got bit by a dog on a training ride ( yielding to hikers isn't always best), allergies and to much work!

    I got invited to by on a four man team for the 12hrs at Papago with some of the Swiss American Racing guys, so I guess I will race the MBAA also if I have to get in shape for Papago.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,008
    You are exactly correct Chris! There is no reason why a race can't be a party too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelchris View Post
    I'll be back since my daughters are racing. I'm going to try to do more of the AES, Whiskey 50, 24 HITOP and other endurance events too so I won't be gunning for any podiums in MBAA this season. Just going to have fun and be social. After coaching a NICA team this summer and fall I'm a bit burned out now. I haven't been on a bike in weeks. I'll race either Cat 2 50+ again or maybe marathon. I'd like to try marathon but I'd probably get tired of going around in circles on some of those courses.

    For anybody sitting on the fence I suggest you go for it. It is a great social event with fun people on bikes. Well organized and friendly. Don't worry about winning or beating so-and-so just race and hang out. I never get all the roadie types who show up an hour before they race then split immediately after. The fun is had before and after the race.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

    "Uppercase with a space"

Similar Threads

  1. Mbaa #1
    By azpoolguy in forum Arizona
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
  2. MBAA Points
    By dirthead in forum Arizona
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  3. MBAA-Williams
    By Hammer Head in forum Arizona
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
  4. Mbaa Xc Racing
    By papajohn in forum Arizona
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
  5. MBAA. Clydesdales
    By joey daigneault in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •