Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250

    mbaa #2 how did you all do?

    landon and i got first and second. i got first and he was behind me by 20 seconds! great race. i need a beer now.
    Last edited by pwrtrainer; 07-23-2010 at 12:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Newbie...yeah that's it
    Reputation: AZSunGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    179
    I think I got second to last..............no seriously, Estrella kicked my ass today. (Beginner 30-39 Class)

  3. #3
    mad aussie
    Reputation: Flying Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,124
    I finished second in the Marathon, I was leading until the last climb, but I really died on the last part of the lap and was passed at the end. I think 24HOP caught up with my legs at the end.That is a tough course to be out on for nearly 4 hours, my hands were numb claws at the end of the race.
    Our team had a first in Expert 19-39, two thirds in Beginner and women's Sport, fourth in Men's Sport 30-39 and my second so it was a good outing for us.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    13th of 15 riders.....40 - 49 beg......I hate estrella I hate it I hate I hate it! then again maybe I should actually train and preride , I figure yesterdays race was next years preride!

  5. #5
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by doAZido
    13th of 15 riders.....40 - 49 beg......I hate estrella I hate it I hate I hate it! then again maybe I should actually train and preride , I figure yesterdays race was next years preride!
    Why do you hate it? It seems as though alot of people hate Estrella. I don't understand why though. For me it's def. better than Mcdowell which seems to be "popular". Mcdowell is pretty boring imo, might as well be road biking as groomed as those trails are.

    I did my first race ever yesterday and did pretty bad, 12th out of 27 but that's because I'm horrible shape. I had fun on that course though, I'll try some of the other cources in the race series but it bums me out that most of them require 0% technical ability. Isn't mountain biking supposed to be rough?
    JRA

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Why do you hate it? It seems as though alot of people hate Estrella. I don't understand why though. For me it's def. better than Mcdowell which seems to be "popular". Mcdowell is pretty boring imo, might as well be road biking as groomed as those trails are.

    I did my first race ever yesterday and did pretty bad, 12th out of 27 but that's because I'm horrible shape. I had fun on that course though, I'll try some of the other cources in the race series but it bums me out that most of them require 0% technical ability. Isn't mountain biking supposed to be rough?
    estrella is one of my fav courses. i hate the boring stuff at mcdowell. est is a tough race course but thats what its supposed to be. if it were easy i wouldnt do it.

  7. #7
    NardoSS
    Guest
    Hey pwrtrainer, in which class do you race? You're a ss, right?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    nope. geared sport 19-29. i dont think ill SS unless trying to get better on the hills.

  9. #9
    Salty Dog
    Reputation: Salty Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362

    Good job! Congrats Michael!

    Nice Job!

    It's amazing the progress you've made over the past year. Keep the rubber side down, brother!

    Tommy

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    nope. geared sport 19-29. i dont think ill SS unless trying to get better on the hills.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Nice Job!

    It's amazing the progress you've made over the past year. Keep the rubber side down, brother!

    Tommy
    ill never forget the first person to give me some "sage advice" and give me input about how to do the races. fix that leg so i can get schooled on the trails again!

  11. #11
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    4th place this time. Got 1st at McDowell. Oh well, probably shouldn't have downed all that beer and vodka the night before. Amazing how that affects your performance in the morning...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  12. #12
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    eabos what group were you in? I would say 12th of 27 riders is pretty darn good. I rode this race on my 30 lb. 29er for the Dust Devil and came in at 1:23 in the beginner 30-39. This time I took my Stumpjumper and came in at 1:05 but 19th out of the 26 riders in the beg 30-39. Kind of disheartening after all that effort. I was shocked to see the winner get 53 minutes for that long loop.

    This is my first year racing.

  13. #13
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    eabos what group were you in? I would say 12th of 27 riders is pretty darn good. I rode this race on my 30 lb. 29er for the Dust Devil and came in at 1:23 in the beginner 30-39. This time I took my Stumpjumper and came in at 1:05 but 19th out of the 26 riders in the beg 30-39. Kind of disheartening after all that effort. I was shocked to see the winner get 53 minutes for that long loop.

    This is my first year racing.

    Oh, was it 26 riders? I raced in the same class as you, beginner 30-39. My time was 59 minutes. I was a little disheartened myself after crashing around a sandy corner about 3 miles in. I worked to pass a few people and as I was picking myself up off the ground they all flew by me. It was weird crashing on a simple corner, I found out quickly that my new XC bike (spec. epic) doesn't quite rail the corners like my "bigger" all mtn bike. It was pretty much my 2nd ride on the epic. Still not quite used to it.

    It's funny, I originally signed up in the 19-29 class (I'm 29) but they made me switch classes because I'll be 30 in October. With my time I would have gotten 4th place if I could have stayed in the 19-29 class (of course there was only 7 people).

    Maybe I'll see ya at the White tanks race?
    JRA

  14. #14
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    I'll be there. I am shooting to be within 10 minutes of the leaders and maybe top 15 finish. I bet we do two of the inner loops out there. I am guessing of course but I bet the winning time is somewhere in the 42-46 minute range.

    I actually plan on going to all the races. Now that I quit my horrible 70hours/week job in Public Accounting and changed over to the Corporate world I have time to bike again.

  15. #15
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I'll be there. I am shooting to be within 10 minutes of the leaders and maybe top 15 finish. I bet we do two of the inner loops out there. I am guessing of course but I bet the winning time is somewhere in the 42-46 minute range.

    I actually plan on going to all the races. Now that I quit my horrible 70hours/week job in Public Accounting and changed over to the Corporate world I have time to bike again.

    Cool, good luck. I have only ridden the white tank comp. loops once and that was like 3 years ago. How long is each loop?

    Maybe I'll pre-ride it one off these days.
    JRA

  16. #16
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    I went out there maybe 5-6 years ago. It's too far for me to drive but according to Cosmic Ray's the inner loop is 5 miles and the tech add-on makes it 7miles give or take. If it's two inner loops then the time will be very fast.

  17. #17
    Newbie...yeah that's it
    Reputation: AZSunGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I went out there maybe 5-6 years ago. It's too far for me to drive but according to Cosmic Ray's the inner loop is 5 miles and the tech add-on makes it 7miles give or take. If it's two inner loops then the time will be very fast.
    And extremely boring..............I did a pre-ride for that course before the Dust Devil series, and didn't end up doing the race because I found the course boring.

    I just realized I raced against both Eabos and GueroAZ, I did terrible compared to you all. I think I finished second to last, that first climb killed me for the whole race. Are the race results posted yet?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSunGod
    And extremely boring..............I did a pre-ride for that course before the Dust Devil series, and didn't end up doing the race because I found the course boring.

    I just realized I raced against both Eabos and GueroAZ, I did terrible compared to you all. I think I finished second to last, that first climb killed me for the whole race. Are the race results posted yet?
    yes
    http://www.mbaa.net/results/2007race...CE2RESULTS.htm

  19. #19
    mad aussie
    Reputation: Flying Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    eabos what group were you in? I would say 12th of 27 riders is pretty darn good. I rode this race on my 30 lb. 29er for the Dust Devil and came in at 1:23 in the beginner 30-39. This time I took my Stumpjumper and came in at 1:05 but 19th out of the 26 riders in the beg 30-39. Kind of disheartening after all that effort. I was shocked to see the winner get 53 minutes for that long loop.

    This is my first year racing.
    Hmmm, I shouldnt tell you that we came through our first lap for the long loop at 48 minutes in the marathon! I was hoping that they wouldnt keep the pace up, but it kept going. I knew I was going to pay for 24HOP at some point with my heart rate staying in the 160 range most of the time (max 184) and that point surely came on the last lap.
    I think what is hardest about Estrella is riding it fast means your body takes a beating. Even with 4 inches of front and rear travel on my Rush it was pretty punishing. My hats off to the guy who blew past me on the last climb on a hardtail to win the race.

    Kevin

  20. #20
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Hmmm, I shouldnt tell you that we came through our first lap for the long loop at 48 minutes in the marathon!
    What the heck do you do to train to get 48 minutes on the long loop? I know I carry 10 lbs too much (170 at 5'9) but that will come down with time now that I have it again. That will probably give me at least a few minutes out there, but what are you doing to get yourself in shape for it. I have a co-worker who used to race, he said to train longer miles at less effort that I was most likely training at too high an effort. Instead of going all out on one lap he said take it down a notch and do two laps and use a HRM if possible and stick around 130-140.

    AzSunGod
    As long as you finish that trail you did pretty well. I am all about racing again, if the trail is somewhat boring I can deal with that. It should be an intensely contested race then. I will have to work a bit maybe I can be in the middle of it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    What the heck do you do to train to get 48 minutes on the long loop? I know I carry 10 lbs too much (170 at 5'9) but that will come down with time now that I have it again. That will probably give me at least a few minutes out there, but what are you doing to get yourself in shape for it. I have a co-worker who used to race, he said to train longer miles at less effort that I was most likely training at too high an effort. Instead of going all out on one lap he said take it down a notch and do two laps and use a HRM if possible and stick around 130-140.

    AzSunGod
    As long as you finish that trail you did pretty well. I am all about racing again, if the trail is somewhat boring I can deal with that. It should be an intensely contested race then. I will have to work a bit maybe I can be in the middle of it.
    specificity....if you want to go fast....go fast. but you need a fitness base long before you rock the crap out of the intervals and high intensity rides. weight is not really too much of a factor. im 5'8 and 184 lbs, yet i can kick those kinds of times out as well. not bragging just pointing out. heres a shocker for you all...former smoker. if you want it youll get it.

  22. #22
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    specificity....if you want to go fast....go fast. but you need a fitness base long before you rock the crap out of the intervals and high intensity rides.
    I pulled a 1:05 at Estrella and a 1:07 at McDowell are those times enough to show a good enough base. I hear the word base thrown out a lot in cycling and haven't paid much attention to it. I really have no idea what it is. I should probably just do a search in the racing/training forum. Thanks pwrtrainer.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I pulled a 1:05 at Estrella and a 1:07 at McDowell are those times enough to show a good enough base. I hear the word base thrown out a lot in cycling and haven't paid much attention to it. I really have no idea what it is. I should probably just do a search in the racing/training forum. Thanks pwrtrainer.
    if this is your forst year racing, then yes, but if you have been at it forever and nothing has changed, then your base might be lacking. starting in the summer/fall you can build a good base for a couple months and begin to build your anaerobic after the fact. great fitness as in flying wombat will take a few years to achieve. my best advice is to seek the joel friels mountain bikers training bible.

  24. #24
    President Skroob
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    499
    It is my first year at this. I will check out the Friels book. Thanks.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    It is my first year at this. I will check out the Friels book. Thanks.
    year one and that kind of time is right where you want to be. the sage advice tommy gave me is that racing will make you a better rider. wait a year from now and see the vast improvements you see. hit up sunrise a few mornings in the summer and you will be surprised how fast you get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •