mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Marzocchi AM1 service/rebuild?

I have a Marzocchi AM1 on my Reign that needs new oil. Has anyone torn these down before with sucess or know a LBS that knows thier way around these forks? I have read many horror stories of the TST bladder blowing out when the fork is opened up. It happend to my brothers AM1 when he took it to a LBS here in town. The result was it being sent back to Marzocchi for a few weeks and at a cost of $200 for parts. At that price I'd be almost half way into a new Bomber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I have a Marzocchi AM1 on my Reign that needs new oil. Has anyone torn these down before with sucess or know a LBS that knows thier way around these forks? I have read many horror stories of the TST bladder blowing out when the fork is opened up. It happend to my brothers AM1 when he took it to a LBS here in town. The result was it being sent back to Marzocchi for a few weeks and at a cost of $200 for parts. At that price I'd be almost half way into a new Bomber.
    The AM1 is not any harder than other cartridge forks, you do need to know what you are doing and having the correct tools and or being able to machine up any tool or shims you need is also nice, I have rebuilt several AM1's , like any other fork or shock they take alot of time and care .

If suspension is just run into the ground and then taken in to get service , alot of the time many components are worn and need re-machining and or replacement and the cost goes way up.
    Most normal bike shops should not be trying to do any suspension work at all , it does not surprise me from what I see going on out there that your brother got dealt a bad hand

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Your fork is a known bastard in some year groups. The tst problems it has had are manufacturuing flaws.

Try Fish at Cactus Bikes. They are very familiar with your fork. Or if you decide to sell it, I am always in the market for these on my next build.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    Your fork is a known bastard in some year groups. The tst problems it has had are manufacturuing flaws.

Try Fish at Cactus Bikes. They are very familiar with your fork. Or if you decide to sell it, I am always in the market for these on my next build.
    You will need to just contact Fish as Cactus is on hiatus right now...PM me for contact info

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Fish decided after problems with my brother fork, not to touch older forks anymore just to send them back to Zoch straightway. There were some other problems that I dont want to discuss here with the rebuild.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh, sorry for your experience.

If you indeed develops a TST cartridge problem, I know there is a conversion you can do, that eliminates the TST. It does involve shipping to marz, and about $220 IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Fish decided after problems with my brother fork, not to touch older forks anymore just to send them back to Zoch straightway. There were some other problems that I dont want to discuss here with the rebuild.
    Most bike shops come to this conclusion about suspension....the hard way unfortunately , that TST All Mountain 1 Zochi fork can work very well when correctly bled and assembled properly .