mtbr member

Maricopa County White Tanks Park - Master Plan Revisions - Public Planning Meeting

Hello All –

I wanted to put the word out that the White Tanks County Park is having a public meeting to discuss the changes to the existing master plan. They are specifically looking for input from user groups and are particularly interested in hearing from the MTB community. I would encourage anybody that is interested in seeing the park grow and become more mountain bike friendly to attend this meeting and be ready to provide your input.

Evidently this is a master plan that has been in place for many years and is very outdated. This is a great opportunity to get in on the planning process.

Here is a link to the news release:
    Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

The meeting will be held at the White Tanks Park Nature Center on Saturday September 7th, at 10:30am.

If you plan on attending, let me know, maybe we can put a ride together out there before or after the meeting.

Hope to see you there!

West Valley Trail Alliance - WVTA

Shred...it's the new drug
    Solid work guys! Best of luck to accomplish your goals. A combined focus effort is what it takes to make things happen! Wish I was closer to the meeting. I'll be sending vibes your way! Great job west siders!

mtbr member
    What kind of recommendations do you have? I wish there was a longer trail that went to the top and even the back side some.

Go Speed Racer
    I probably will not be able to make it, but if I was there, I would likely suggesst that they take a look at what is going on out on the other side of town at the McDowell Mountain Preserve. Pump track, plans for a bike park, orgaized officially recognized and sponsored night rides, etc.

mtbr member
    What a great opportunity to make some fantastic trails. You have land, rocks, elevation, and not too many people. Go big!
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    What a great opportunity to make some fantastic trails. You have land, rocks, elevation, and not too many people. Go big!
    Agreed, there is a TON of potential out there, and with the 303 going right by it now, it is more accessable than ever! GO BIG! I would be willing to volunteer for trail work days.

mtbr member
    Simply stated we just need many more miles of trail out there. A west entrance connector into the White Tanks would be huge, along with some trail skirting around the west and north side hooking up with the Maricopa Trail and feeding back into the main trail system. The comp loops are great, but quite short at 7 miles. Ford Canyon could be easily tied back into the comp loops which would give you more flexibility to roll some bigger loops without having to hit the pavement or parking lots. The Park has already put together a proposed updated plan. This meeting is to introduce the plan and gather comments from the public. If you live in the area and ride out there a lot like I do, please plan on attending so we can voice our ideas. I have also established contact with the Park rep and will be putting some trail maintenance dates together in the future. As stated earlier, the potential is huge out there. Mesquite Canyon to Goat Camp is already one of the best sustained climbs in the Valley, and I don't think too many people even know about it.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    A west entrance connector into the White Tanks would be huge
    Wow, I never thought of that... A North entrance (near Bell road) would be awesome!

mtbr member
    I hope I can bring my 2 year old, as my wife works Saturdays. I love riding there, especially since I can go from my house. Probably out of the question, but it would be cool if something connected to Verrado area. As long as Mesquite and Goat Camp don't get touched, because that would be sad.

It really is a great place to ride. Very different than the rest of the valley.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Go Speed Racer
    So, I was not able to make it, but curious how it went...

Also, I was poking around on their website and found they have a link for an online survey (Online Survey - Survey closes on 10/09/2013), it is one question and room for comments...

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
    White Tank Master Plan - Follow-Up Public Meeting Survey

My other ride is your mom
    I threw in my two cents by leaving a comment concerning the need for the planning process to include folks that are knowledgeable of best practices with respect to trail building. I pointed out that some of the more recent trail building activities going on in the Sonoran Preserve, while welcomed, leave much to be desired with respect to offering anything beyond a dirt sidewalk through the preserve.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I threw in my two cents by leaving a comment concerning the need for the planning process to include folks that are knowledgeable of best practices with respect to trail building. I pointed out that some of the more recent trail building activities going on in the Sonoran Preserve, while welcomed, leave much to be desired with respect to offering anything beyond a dirt sidewalk through the preserve.
    Just as a "devil's advocate" type question, how do you know "best practices" don't include dirt sidewalks?

Were you referring to the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve or the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve?

Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Just as a "devil's advocate" type question, how do you know "best practices" don't include dirt sidewalks?

Were you referring to the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve or the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve?
    Specifically, the PHX Sonoran Preserve, however I left it ambiguous on purpose. As to the best practices comment, I'm not claiming I know them, but I am encouraging them to seek out folks who do. I used that term specifically since it should resonate with any governmental planning function. My comment was simply my two cents as a mountain biker that want's trails which are interesting, dynamic and offer up more than a sidewalk path to ride upon.

mtbr member
    MTBDennis - It went well. My main objective was to meet and build rapport with the park decision makers. It looks like they have some nice ideas for future park trails and connectors. The park is going to post up the plan on line and has a 30 day comment period. When I get a few seconds, I'll post a link. What we (WVTA) needs to do now is figure out a way to accelerate the trail building process. They said they are a couple years out on any new trail building....except for a super beginner/junior loop off the race loops.

Maad - Were you at the meeting....There were only a few MTB guys there, did we meet?

Go Speed Racer
    MTBDennis - It went well. My main objective was to meet and build rapport with the park decision makers. It looks like they have some nice ideas for future park trails and connectors. The park is going to post up the plan on line and has a 30 day comment period. When I get a few seconds, I'll post a link. What we (WVTA) needs to do now is figure out a way to accelerate the trail building process. They said they are a couple years out on any new trail building....except for a super beginner/junior loop off the race loops.

Maad - Were you at the meeting....There were only a few MTB guys there, did we meet?
    Cool, thanks for the update, and representing!

I was not at the meeting, but I filled out the survey as I feel it's important for them as a planning function to see just how many MTBR's are interested in what goes on and how it goes on. Frankly, this is the farthest out there riding area for me so I only get to ride it a few times a year....nevertheless, it's important and I would like to see them capitalize on the nearly blank-slate they have to plan and build out something the right way (which means more trails for us to enjoy, pump track, etc)

I would encourage everyone here to fill out the survey. It's two questions: 1) Open ended comments and, 2) User type (bicyclist, hiker, equestrian, etc). If the planning functions sees that 70% of the respondents are bicyclists vs. hikers or equestrians or other....it'll go a long way towards furthering our interests as a whole.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Specifically, the PHX Sonoran Preserve, however I left it ambiguous on purpose. As to the best practices comment, I'm not claiming I know them, but I am encouraging them to seek out folks who do. I used that term specifically since it should resonate with any governmental planning function. My comment was simply my two cents as a mountain biker that want's trails which are interesting, dynamic and offer up more than a sidewalk path to ride upon.
    Try riding Deems right now, it's a bit challenging.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Survey sent and I've yet to ride out there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Try riding Deems right now, it's a bit challenging.
    Deems is short bus special

Don't believe the Hype...
    Meet with them about 3 years ago about a building a Pump Track...Hopefully it's a little closer to reality.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Deems is short bus special
    My point of comparing deems to Phoenix Sonoran Preserve (both phoenix preserves) is they are entirely different types of terrain with deems being very rocky and not holding up well to the rain. What exactly would you do differently in the PSP to remedy the sidewalk situation, I think there are limitations to what can be done and keep it sustainable.

mtbr member
    I want to thank everybody that has participated and sent in feedback to the park. If you have not yet done this, please see the links below and take a few seconds to complete the comment card and survey. Maad is correct, the Park authority takes a close look at what user groups are most active within the park. If they find 75% of the comments are from the cycling community, that caries a lot of weight. The other part of the equation is becoming active with the park authority and offering up volunteer labor and expertise to further our goals as a user group. That is the goal of West Valley Trail alliance (WVTA).
    Here is a link to the main White Tanks Park page with a follow up on the meeting:
    http://http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank/wtproject.aspx
    Here is a link to the comment card, open until 10.9.13:
    http://http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank/pdf/2013/12_comment_card_8x6.pdf
    Here is a link to the online survey, open until 10.9.13:
    http://http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WTMPFollowUpQuestions

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    My point of comparing deems to Phoenix Sonoran Preserve (both phoenix preserves) is they are entirely different types of terrain with deems being very rocky and not holding up well to the rain. What exactly would you do differently in the PSP to remedy the sidewalk situation, I think there are limitations to what can be done and keep it sustainable.
    I hear you...and encourage you to comment on it in the survey. As for my opinion on the sidewalk situation....I don't know specific steps, methods or planning which could have taken place to be more interesting to our user group. As I stated before, I'm not a trail building expert....but I know that there are experts out there and the trail they build does not look like that or ride like that. All I know is that of all the trails in the valley, it's the one I like the least because it is simply boring and dumbed down to the point of providing any sort of challange other than pure cardio....which I can get on a stairmaster or a road ride.....something we have plenty of here in PHX.

mtbr member
    No Goat Camp sanitizing!! Please
    Less Talk More Rock

mtbr member
    Survey sent. Thanks for the heads up.