mtbr dismember

March 30 long XC ride

Looking for an all day XC ride in AZ on March 30th. Done BCT near Black Canyon City several times and AZT 15 miles south from Picketpost and 15 miles north from Kelvin. Any other suggestions or anybody want to show me something new? I'm slow but I can ride all day.

pedaller
    Hey Wolf,

I'd say National on South Mountain or the XC out-n-back at Goat Camp fit the bill. Another option would be a loop in the McDowells to include Windgate/Bell/Sunrise.

AZ - It's all good...

LOVE your trip reports BTW!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I was just thinking about that!! (Ripsey) ^^^ If you want a few more singletrack miles to go with the above route, start/finish your ride @Freeman Rd trailhead, head north for about 9 miles until you pick up that track riding it in a CCW loop.

Here's mostly what the track would look like (I'd use the loop from the above link, it gets you off the powerline leading to a relaxing spot by a huge Cottonwood tree).

If you want something in the PHX area on one of the local systems, try this conglomeration of trails at Hawes:

(Disregard my finishing spot as my derailleur imploded there!! Just backtrack to start from there)

Another cool ride would be an out-n-back on the AZT down by Tucson. Start at the Pistol Hill Rd trailhead & ride south for about 25 miles, flip it there. That's the backend of the AZT Jamboree ride.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember

Lot of road?

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Isn't there a whole lot of dirt road riding on that? I won't drive all that way for a dirt road.

mtbr dismember

Pistol Hill?

Pistol Hill out and back seems interesting. When I'm solo out and backs are best in new places. Is it nice desert? I routinely do 52 mile rides, but I would not try one in an unfamiliar new place. Especially since they took you 10 hours. It would be 15 or more hours for me.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    The desert around Piston Hill heading south is pretty sweet IMO. That ride is also all singletrack. If you check my blog, search for 'Jamboree', the OnB ride will skip any HAB sections & the larger grassy hilly areas for reference.

As for Ripsey, if you do the 52 mile version only 15 or so miles are on graded dirt road (6-ish) & jeep road (9-ish) everything else is AZT singletrack, some stellar views, but there is some HAB here and there. As for time on that ride, keep in mind I did it fully loaded with bikepacking gear & had to go super slow over the last 6-7 miles due to my riding partner forgetting his lights!! We just did that Ripsey loop this past weekend with a large group of 16, had two prolonged stops & still managed to keep it under 6 hours for the 30 miles. The other 20 miles on the Boulders segment are fast fun miles, no real climbing to speak of.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    The desert around Piston Hill heading south is pretty sweet IMO. That ride is also all singletrack.
    Thanks! Unless somebody volunteers to do a point to point Picketpost to Kelvin ride with me (my preference), I'll probably try on out and back from Piston Hill. I may stay in the area and do some botanical photography, rest the knees a few days, and try an out and back from one of those trail heads.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ooops, I had a typo in there. It's PISTOL Hill, not PISTON Hill if you're Googling!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    If you want something in the PHX area on one of the local systems, try this conglomeration of trails at Hawes:

(Disregard my finishing spot as my derailleur imploded there!! Just backtrack to start from there)

I was totally thinking about combining Hawes and Usery since this is pretty far for me to drive so might as well hit as much as I can.

Is there a connection between Microwave tower road to Microwave tower trail?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Is there a connection between Microwave tower road to Microwave tower trail?
    Yes, I believe others have gone over, but by all accounts it's HAB. For me, I was ready for a little road spin at that point of the ride! Don't forget if you need water, the Pass Mtn TH should have cold water & there's a soda machine & water cooler across the street at the shooting range. That sure saved me during that first 90+ degree day of the year!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Yes, I believe others have gone over, but by all accounts it's HAB. For me, I was ready for a little road spin at that point of the ride! Don't forget if you need water, the Pass Mtn TH should have cold water & there's a soda machine & water cooler across the street at the shooting range. That sure saved me during that first 90+ degree day of the year!!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Isn't there a whole lot of dirt road riding on that? I won't drive all that way for a dirt road.
    yes, but there is good stuff as well. alternately you could do out and back on Ripsey. that way you can go as far as s you like. If you have the energy to make it to the boulders section that is very fun.