Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew

Mallet 2 or SPD M647?

The problem: I like being clipped in but when a foot comes out with my trusty SPDs most of the time my foot will just roll right off the pedal. It's worse when you gotta get off in the middle of some rough stuff and trying to start your foot is rolling the pedal out from underneath it. Sucks.

Solution: New pedals? I dunno but a thought. I'm thinking some cross-breed clip/flat pedal may be a solution.

Crank Brothers Mallet 2 or Shimano M647

I'm thinking the mallets are probably a pretty good idea and would work better when unclipped than the Shimanos. But, I've seen a lot of complaints of broken pedals from Crank Brothers. That's makes me leary. Many of the people breaking them have said go with the Shimanos.

Any more current opinions before I make a purchase?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    I'm 230 plus gear, and haven't had a problem yet with my crank bros candies. Been riding the same pair for well over a year.

mtbr member
    Check out the Time Z control pedals. I run Time Atac and like the time mechanics far better than SPD.

Alive and Lurkin'
    I am a fan of the Crank Bros Pedals. The concave feature of the pedals works great when clipped in. And there are plenty of haters as I'm sure we shall see.
    As far as riding unclipped, the advantage does not go to Crank Bros. With the egg beater able to rotate freely inside the platform, just being able to ride unclipped can be a challenge. Clipped in different story, though. I rode 661 filters with mallet 2 until switching to flats a months ago.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Let'er Buck
    I have been pretty happy with my crankbrother acids I did crack one on south mountain but they replaced it no questions asked.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    Check out the Time Z control pedals. I run Time Atac and like the time mechanics far better than SPD.
    I know that's a popular option but they don't look like they'd be as good UNclipped as the Mallet's. They don't have a larger cage and they don't have the little screws. That, of course, is just my opinion based on LOOKING at them, no actual experience, so I could be completely off-base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibro
    I am a fan of the Crank Bros Pedals. The concave feature of the pedals works great when clipped in. And there are plenty of haters as I'm sure we shall see.
    As far as riding unclipped, the advantage does not go to Crank Bros. With the egg beater able to rotate freely inside the platform, just being able to ride unclipped can be a challenge. Clipped in different story, though. I rode 661 filters with mallet 2 until switching to flats a months ago.
    Not sure what you mean by the "concave feature" of the pedals...

If the egg beater rotates freely does that make it a little more difficult to clip in? Seems like it would.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    647's no question. I had a crash where I clipped a rock on a high speed section of geronimo. Tally was a cracked rib, broken helmet visor, bent crank, and only slight scratches to the outer cage of the pedal. The spindle was intact although the pedal took the direct hit. Not sure if a time pedal or mallet would take that abuse.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    647's no question. I had a crash where I clipped a rock on a high speed section of geronimo. Tally was a cracked rib, broken helmet visor, bent crank, and only slight scratches to the outer cage of the pedal. The spindle was intact although the pedal took the direct hit. Not sure if a time pedal or mallet would take that abuse.
    When you are unclipped, either intentionally or not, do you feel like you can really pedal? Does it feel like a flat pedal? Every time I'm unclipped on my SPDs I feel like I'm pedaling on a spindle only and I wind up concentrating so hard on getting clipped in that I can neither watch my line or even get enough momentum to keep a line.

The Mallet looks like it would feel like a flat moreso than the Shimanos. The Shimano has it's "contraption" more at an angle so it seems like it would be higher above the platform than the Mallets.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    The Mallet looks like it would feel like a flat moreso than the Shimanos. The Shimano has it's "contraption" more at an angle so it seems like it would be higher above the platform than the Mallets.
    The angle is more for easier insertion. Once you're in it does feel flat. I've raced them at bootleg and the pedal seems to guide you in when you're trying to clip in at technical points in the trail. I have a pair that I'm not using right now that you're welcome to try. Just shoot me a pm. I usually ride PMP during the week.

mtbr member
    Stay away from the mallet. As soon as you smack a rock with the bottom of your pedal, and you will, the spring will bend and you're screwed. Shimano uses two seperate springs so if you do bend one side, you'll still have the other side working. Time Z's are the same. I've been beating up on my Z's for a couple years. They still work perfect. The thing they have that the CB's don't is the skid plate which allows the rocks to slide past the spring.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I know that's a popular option but they don't look like they'd be as good UNclipped as the Mallet's. They don't have a larger cage and they don't have the little screws. That, of course, is just my opinion based on LOOKING at them, no actual experience, so I could be completely off-base.

Not sure what you mean by the "concave feature" of the pedals...

If the egg beater rotates freely does that make it a little more difficult to clip in? Seems like it would.
    Concave- the outsides are higher than than the center. Look at the profile of a mallet and you'll see the concave. The concave allows the shoe to make full contact once clipped in vs other designs that are flat. Flat clip-in platform designs do little more than give a comfort level for the mind, becuse the sides are lower than the clip in area. Thus, the shoe just floats in the clip and rarely touches the outer edge of the platform.

The egg beater rotating freely is a feature on all of their pedals. It actually is easier to clip in. You can clip in pushing down from the top, sliding the foot forward, or sliding the foot back. The trick is unclipping if your used to spd. Egg beaters (EBs) can only be unclipped from a sideways motion. Spd's can pull right out from the top if the force is great enough, the mechanical nature of EBs does not allow this to happen.

Hope this helps
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    The angle is more for easier insertion.
    Expert opinion
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    I know you mentioned that you like to be clipped in but have you considered going to a good flat pedal like the Kona WahWahs and 661's? If you are riding more rough and technical terrain you should definately consider it. Takes a little getting used to on rocky climbs but overall you can do everything you do clipped in plus some.

I still ride clipped in on long endurance type rides but mostly ride flats. Still a little sketchy on step downs where there is no lip to pre-load the suspension but other than that I like the freedom and the ability to dab or slide your inside foot in a loose corner.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Expert opinion
    I know! that whole post sounded dirty as I was writing it!

No Clue Crew
    Concave- the outsides are higher than than the center. Look at the profile of a mallet and you'll see the concave. The concave allows the shoe to make full contact once clipped in vs other designs that are flat. Flat clip-in platform designs do little more than give a comfort level for the mind, becuse the sides are lower than the clip in area. Thus, the shoe just floats in the clip and rarely touches the outer edge of the platform.
    I knew what concave meant I've never seen them up close and the pics I've seen do not show that concave shape. That's a great feature and exactly how it should be designed. Otherwise, like you said, the only thing it's accomplishing is making you FEEL better.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS
    I know you mentioned that you like to be clipped in but have you considered going to a good flat pedal like the Kona WahWahs and 661's? If you are riding more rough and technical terrain you should definitely consider it. Takes a little getting used to on rocky climbs but overall you can do everything you do clipped in plus some.

I still ride clipped in on long endurance type rides but mostly ride flats. Still a little sketchy on step downs where there is no lip to pre-load the suspension but other than that I like the freedom and the ability to dab or slide your inside foot in a loose corner.
    Actually, I have considered it but when you've been clipped in for the better part of 10 years it's a bad habit to break. I'm getting more into technical stuff now so I definitely see the benefit but still now when I'm unclipped I feel like a retard peddling. I may still consider it but I'm not giving it a ton of thought as of yet. Certainly as I progress to more sketchy stuff I'll consider it more strongly. I'm still struggling on some of the easy technical stuff now Maybe that's a good time to make the jump?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    Stay away from the mallet. As soon as you smack a rock with the bottom of your pedal, and you will, the spring will bend and you're screwed. Shimano uses two seperate springs so if you do bend one side, you'll still have the other side working. Time Z's are the same. I've been beating up on my Z's for a couple years. They still work perfect. The thing they have that the CB's don't is the skid plate which allows the rocks to slide past the spring.
    I have smacked the piss out of my mallets hundreds of times, with no damage to the spring. Can't say it won't happen, but it never has for me.

I am hard-over for the mallets, after using SPDs for several years. I will never go back.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    +10 on the time Zss TIME pedals are pure hassle free quality and last a long time.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    +10 on the time Z's. TIME pedals are pure hassle free quality and last a long time.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    I've hit plenty of rocks, and have been "bounced" out of my pedal when the bottom wings hit. I also have bent a wing, but the pedal still work just fine.
    Dunno how you would bend a spring, but you seem to speak from experience, so I'll take your word for it.

mtbr member
    I have felt the "roll" you feel with the pedals- and I fixed it by getting into some 525's which are a little heavier and they do not spin as smoothly. They still spin smooth- but when you spin them with a hand, they only rotate abouot 5 times instead of 10 or more. Never slowed me down, and I noticed that clipping in during sketch became less of an issue.

Granted, I switched bikes and pedals,so maybe I just got instantly better! Shoes can play a part too. If the front claws are too pronounced- they would be hitting the pedal before the clips did.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    My experience is to stick with Shimano: 3 broken CB pedals this year alone: 1 bent "eggbeater" cage (Mallets), 2 broken spindles (1 Mallet, 1 Candy). Also have shredded standard Eggbeaters and the cheap Smarty pedals in the past. This was with riding CB pedals for only 3 years. The other 17 years I have been riding: no broken Shimano pedals, but several broken Wellgo (Shimano knock-offs). So, I am back on Shimano pedals. I have tried the ATAC alums, and did not care for the clip mechanism... but at least they did not break.

No Clue Crew
    Man, this is tough. I really want to try the Mallets because they look like the best compromise between a clip & flat. But, the breakage problems worry me. On the other hand NO complaints from Shimano. Maybe I'll just try the Mallets. I'm sure I don't ride anywhere near as hard as those that are breaking them constantly. Or maybe I'll just go with whatever I can get into for the least amount of money. Damn...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never EVER buy a clipless pedal with the intent of "clipping out" when you get to technical or difficult sections. This almost gaurentees crashing, as you lack the skill and confidence to ride such section. Clipless pedals give you more control due to the interface (like a ski binding), if you "unclip", you've defeated that and should probably be walking the section. It also means that you're probably slowing down and might not have enough momentum to do the section. Once your feet "bounce" of the clipless pedals, you're pretty screwed. I highly advise to NOT buy clipless pedals based on how they may "seem" when you are unclipped.

You should also know that the mallets don't work exactly like the eggbeaters that have no cage. The cage around the mallets prevents entry in some cases, requiring you to "roll" your foot across the pedal. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not and your foot goes shooting off. If that mechanism (which is free to spin) rotates around for whatever reason, it is NOT going to work well as a "flat pedal" (but again, there are no clipless pedals that do). I found their exit to be unpredictable due to how fast the cleats wear down and the deal with hitting rocks from the bottom. CB pedals only ever lasted a few months for me in AZ, the rocks simply ate them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Never EVER buy a clipless pedal with the intent of "clipping out" when you get to technical or difficult sections. This almost gaurentees crashing, as you lack the skill and confidence to ride such section. ... Once your feet "bounce" of the clipless pedals, you're pretty screwed. I highly advise to NOT buy clipless pedals based on how they may "seem" when you are unclipped.
    I have never INTENDED to clip out for a section. If it's that sketchy I either WANT the control of being anchored to the bike properly or I stop and walk it. With that said I've always had my clips set pretty loose so that my feet come out fairly easily. It's those times when I'm inadvertently unclipped that I'd like to be able to continue without rolling my foot off the pedal or having to fidget and fight with it to get it in while trying to pedal, maintain momentum and balance, lean back to shift the weight around...

Fairly often it's a quick section with a rock hit that kicks me out and I'm able to just stick it right back in. Not always... It's for those other occasions that I think some kind of hybrid pedal might be beneficial.

EDR
    when I'm inadvertently unclipped that I'd like to be able to continue without rolling my foot off the pedal or having to fidget and fight with it to get it in while trying to pedal, maintain momentum and balance, lean back to shift the weight around...

Fairly often it's a quick section with a rock hit that kicks me out and I'm able to just stick it right back in. Not always... It's for those other occasions that I think some kind of hybrid pedal might be beneficial.
    Here's my .02

I've owned EB's, Mallets, regular Shimano spd's and now DX 647's. My take....

Never really liked the Mallets. Ran plain eggbeaters before trying the Mallets. Wanted a better pedal for when I was/came unclipped. Results...? Didn't care for them. They absolutely suck to try and ride unclipped as my cleat would slide all over the place. Harder to get into than plain EB's but not a huge deal, just never like them. Ditched CB pedals for Shimano.

Have been loving regular Shimano spd's (520's and 540's) for 6 years now. A few months ago I decided I wanted to try the 647's. Seemed like they would provide a bit of a platform for landing drops and would be easier to pedal when unclipped. Results....? I like the added stability landing drops, it's not a huge difference but still, it's nice. As far as riding unclipped? Not great but better than the Mallets IIRC. I really only wanted an improvement in those uphill situations where you fail on a rock attempt or whatever and you need to get started again up a steep uphill grade. In that application they are ok......and just ok. Better than the 540's since you can at least mash for a few turns until finding a smoother spot to clip in but the cleat interface still comes into play, making it a bit of a sketchy deal. Still, do-able.

Bottom line. Seems like all clipless pedals are impractical for use while not clipped in. Not sure you'll find what you are hoping to find but the 647's are at least a good option. Just don't expect too much.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast